Customs regulations questions

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Customs regulations questions

Postby Esc1221 » 12 Jan 2012, 01:55

OK, I'm an avid outdoorsman (bordering on redneck-level enthusiasm with hunting, archery, woodworking, and camping). :wink:

I was wondering if customs would confiscate any toys I may bring into the country (mainland and Taiwan) from the USA including things like compound bow/arrows, hatchet and survival knife, sword (I'm a collector too), and some Lacrosse sticks (modern aluminum, not bringing my traditional wooden sticks).

These will only be for personal use, and will of course be used responsibly. I also will fully declare them at customs, and package them safely in locked containers with lots of padding to protect a customs agent searching luggage.

I'm not bringing any firearms, ammunition or explosives.

I've already tried embassies phone numbers and customs websites, which of course are no help because I'm limited to English.

Thanks for any advice, or experience you can offer!
Esc1221
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Customs regulations questions

Postby Tigerman » 18 Jan 2012, 12:02

Esc1221 wrote:I was wondering if customs would confiscate any toys I may bring into the country (mainland and Taiwan) from the USA including things like compound bow/arrows, hatchet and survival knife, sword (I'm a collector too), and some Lacrosse sticks (modern aluminum, not bringing my traditional wooden sticks).

See This LIST OF PROHIBITED ITEMS:

Items considered to be weapons (eg. hunting knives, air guns, toy guns, bows or firearms)

See also, this:

PROHIBITED & RESTRICTED ARTICLES

Arms (including shotguns, fishing-guns, and airguns), ammunition, cartridges, explosives, poisonous gas, assault knives and other weapons of war.

And this:

PROHIBITED ITEMS

Weapons (including toy weapons), hunting knives, bows, firearms, ammunition and explosives (presence of these items in shipment will result in serious troubles for the customer)
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

222 Recommends(s)
135 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 18 Jan 2012, 13:03

Esc1221 wrote:I was wondering if customs would confiscate any toys I may bring into the country (mainland and Taiwan) from the USA including things like compound bow/arrows, hatchet and survival knife, sword

None of those items you list are toys, they're weapons. Not legal to import, and you'd be in shit if they found you. They're not likely to check but the risk is yours.

No hunting in Taiwan without an license which I suspect you probably won't get if you're not an aboriginal. You're not an aboriginal, are you?
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

169 Recommends(s)
216 Recognized(s)

Postby EigerMarcus » 19 Jan 2012, 13:43

1. You can apply to import swords and similar restricted bladed items. A regular knife should be fine with customs (but do not quote me on that).

2. You also need a permit to hold the swords from the police and they will come around once a year or so and check your permit and sword.

3. You can buy swords, hunting knives, hatchets, and lots of other stuff here anyway so no need to import - most bladed weapons like knives can be bought without any permits required.

4. Archery. There are licensed ranges here.

5. Lacrosse sticks - no idea on why these would be restricted - hockey sticks are permitted ;-)

6. I would leave everything at home anyway unless you plan on playing some lacrosse here. If you get the outdoors bug while you are here then you can buy all the tools of the trade here.
EigerMarcus
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

x

Return to General Legal Matters