Do the Taiwanese really do things this way in their legal system?

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Do the Taiwanese really do things this way in their legal system?

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Jan 2012, 17:14

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:Wll is playing it right, it's about negotiation and setting expectations at the start. He should also remember he got away with not paying 36000 NTD minimum fine for DUI on a scooter.

I never heard there is a minimum fine of 36,000 NTD for a DUI on a scooter. I have heard that there is a maximum fine of 150,000 NT. I was told that my payment to the girl would probably count as my fine and that I will probably get community service.

I got the information from here. Now it may be possible to be a lower minimum but I have heard the 30,000 NTD figure bandied about before. The maximum does indeed seem to be 150,000 NTD.

http://www.thewildeast.net/news/2012/01 ... l-lessons/
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1463 Recommends(s)
546 Recognized(s)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 30 Jan 2012, 20:56

headhonchoII wrote:
Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:Wll is playing it right, it's about negotiation and setting expectations at the start. He should also remember he got away with not paying 36000 NTD minimum fine for DUI on a scooter.

I never heard there is a minimum fine of 36,000 NTD for a DUI on a scooter. I have heard that there is a maximum fine of 150,000 NT. I was told that my payment to the girl would probably count as my fine and that I will probably get community service.

I got the information from here. Now it may be possible to be a lower minimum but I have heard the 30,000 NTD figure bandied about before. The maximum does indeed seem to be 150,000 NTD.

http://www.thewildeast.net/news/2012/01 ... l-lessons/

Does anybody know the sentencing guidelines regarding community service and whether more community service hours may mean a reduced fine :ponder: ?
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Jan 2012, 23:19

He's negotiating , you start from a low base. From a legal and tactical standpoint this is the correct approach.

If you offer 100,000 NTD they will want 200,000 NTD. this is the way compensation cases work, especially here.

Hey Taiwan is great though it has the death penalty which has succeeded probably numerous times in executing INNOCENT people.

WLL should grow up and stop whining about everything though, go legal man. What age are you..50 going on 15?
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1463 Recommends(s)
546 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 30 Jan 2012, 23:28

headhonchoII wrote:He's negotiating , you start from a low base. From a legal and tactical standpoint this is the correct approach.

If you offer 100,000 NTD they will want 200,000 NTD. this is the way compensation cases work, especially here.

Hey Taiwan is great though it has the death penalty which has succeeded probably numerous times in executing INNOCENT people.

WLL should grow up and stop whining about everything though, go legal man. What age are you..50 going on 15?

I'm 41. I agree that he's just playing the system, which is all anyone can do in any legal system. If I did something bang out of order I'm sure I'd try similar tactics.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 30 Jan 2012, 23:37

Oh, and BTW there is community service here. I have been told this by people who have done it as well as the court.
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Jan 2012, 23:47

Yes but in this case it seems the DUI was incidental to the injury. If the DUI was obviously the cause of the injury then 6000 NTD would not help the defendants case.
Basically civil cases equal dollar signs to a lot of folks in Taiwan these days, just like the west, or worse as accusers don't pay defendants costs here.

It's strange WLL hasn't been fined for DUI and for running the red light and driving without license. I think that could add up to 60,000-80,000 NTD fine.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1463 Recommends(s)
546 Recognized(s)

Postby cyborg_ninja » 31 Jan 2012, 00:44

headhonchoII wrote:Yes but in this case it seems the DUI was incidental to the injury. If the DUI was obviously the cause of the injury then 6000 NTD would not help the defendants case.
Basically civil cases equal dollar signs to a lot of folks in Taiwan these days, just like the west, or worse as accusers don't pay defendants costs here.

It's strange WLL hasn't been fined for DUI and for running the red light and driving without license. I think that could add up to 60,000-80,000 NTD fine.

I find theres more to the story than what he's posting. Drunk driving alone is a serious offense and he could face possible jail time depending on the injury. WLL will most likely have a criminal record in this case unless he's able to settle out of court. I think he just hasn't received the fines yet because they're just processing everything with the police.
cyborg_ninja
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 31 Jan 2012, 01:24

If you have an opinion to offer, please leave any personal attacks out of it, thanks.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

279 Recommends(s)
282 Recognized(s)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 31 Jan 2012, 16:42

The personal injury case has been settled out of court. I will not go to jail. I am waiting for my sentencing for the DUI. They are handled as two separate cases here. Personally, I have always thought from the beginning that I might not have drunken anything and this minor accident might still have happened.
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby cyborg_ninja » 31 Jan 2012, 22:16

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:The personal injury case has been settled out of court. I will not go to jail. I am waiting for my sentencing for the DUI. They are handled as two separate cases here. Personally, I have always thought from the beginning that I might not have drunken anything and this minor accident might still have happened.

Regardless, driving without a license and DUI. If you settled it out of court, bring the out of court settlement statement to the DUI court so they won't add additional sentencing.
cyborg_ninja

4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to General Legal Matters