Contracts in Taiwan - worth the paper they're printed on?

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Contracts in Taiwan - worth the paper they're printed on?

Postby robinhood5000 » 28 Mar 2012, 12:51

Hi everyone,

Without wanting to go into details, I am a partner in a business and, at the moment, everything has been done on a nod and a handshake so to speak. This has left me feeling a bit on the insecure side, I suppose, and I would like to do something to put me in a bit of a more secure position.

The business is a buxiban.Having my name on the licenses could be a bit of a pain and lead to unnecessary pains in the ass later. I was thinking about having a contract drawn up that basically states that I am a partner without needing my name on the licenses. Is this possible? Would it stand up to any scrutiny or would it just be a piece of paper if push came to shove? Are there any extra steps that are needed to make it legal in Taiwan, or is it a case of "once it's signed, it's binding" as it would be in the west?

Thanks for any help,

Rob
Last edited by engerim on 28 Mar 2012, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed subject
robinhood5000
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: COntracts in Taiwan - worth the paper they're printed on?

Postby headhonchoII » 28 Mar 2012, 12:54

You should be listed as a shareholder or director in the business I would say. However it may be better to leave your (Taiwanese?) business partner to be 'fu ze ren'- responsible person.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1476 Recommends(s)
553 Recognized(s)

Re: Contracts in Taiwan - worth the paper they're printed on?

Postby Feiren » 28 Mar 2012, 13:17

If you have more than NT$100,000 at stake or will spend that much in sweat equity, I think you need to talk to a lawyer.

Of course contracts are enforceable in Taiwan. Not having her name on a contract is probably how Karen Hess got screwed out of the franchise that bears her name as did Connie [?] Jordan years before that.

Why don't you at least write out an agreement stating what the terms of your busines deal are and have everyone sign it at a public notary?

Good luck. I don't mean to be a jerk, but I think you are going to need it.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby robinhood5000 » 28 Mar 2012, 14:21

Hey!

Thanks for the replies.

Going through the grinder to get myself named as a shareholder seems a bit too much to take on for me right now. Also I think it may not sit well with the person that currently holds all the cards.

How do you go about finding a notary in Taiwan? Also, what exactly is their involvement in the process? Are they really necessary?

Thanks again guys for the info.

Good luck. I don't mean to be a jerk, but I think you are going to need it.

Ha ha, you may well be right!
robinhood5000
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 28 Mar 2012, 14:27

They can be found near any court. They can witness your agreement so that people can't try to claim later that no agreement was made. It doesn't mean your agreement is valid or enforceable though.

Nothig is realy necessary if you are investing but are not a shareholder. You just have to trust that "the one who holds the cards" treats you right.

It might work out.
Feiren

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 28 Mar 2012, 15:48

How can you invest without being a shareholder?
Still some signed agreements are better than nothing, try to cover your back in multiple ways.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1476 Recommends(s)
553 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 28 Mar 2012, 15:51

When a buxiban is set up, there is a director and an investor, foreigners can be the investor(and director if you have aprc)....
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby pgdaddy1 » 02 Apr 2012, 14:01

Did you pay your partner the money already ?
Forumosan avatar
pgdaddy1
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

108 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

x

Return to General Legal Matters