Recording conversations

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Recording conversations

Postby Distressed » 09 Jun 2012, 23:55

There are some very strange things happening in my school...things I am being told to do and not to do. I am feeling a little bit uncomfortable and would like to record certain conversations in the event that I need "a witness" in the future. In the U.S. I know that if I record conversations without due process, the recordings cannot be used to prosecute someone for criminal purposes but can be used in a civil case. What is the law in Taiwan?
Distressed
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Recording conversations

Postby Hartzell » 15 Jun 2012, 19:26

Why bother?

Why not just say: "I can't take that type of instruction orally. Please put it in writing and sign it."

And then add: "I will pretend I didn't hear what you just told me . . . . . . . because, as I said, in regard to those types of circumstances (or conditions) I will need to have a written and signed statement."
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

18 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 15 Jun 2012, 20:06

Hartzell wrote:Why bother?

Why not just say: "I can't take that type of instruction orally. Please put it in writing and sign it."

And then add: "I will pretend I didn't hear what you just told me . . . . . . . because, as I said, in regard to those types of circumstances (or conditions) I will need to have a written and signed statement."

That will go over well; if you do that you'll probably being looking for a job soon.
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

144 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby Hartzell » 16 Jun 2012, 20:52

archylgp wrote:That will go over well; if you do that you'll probably being looking for a job soon.

If you are not going to stand up for your rights, don't expect anyone else to.

What's wrong with asking for a written statement???? Is your contract with the school written or oral????

Of course it is written.

CONCLUSION: You have a full right to have all "work conditions" specified in writing.
Richard W. Hartzell
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell

18 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 16 Jun 2012, 21:23

Why? Because recording is a fun-filled wily caper; and getting any written documentation is exceedingly difficult, and often as useless as a pig on a wing.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

3 Recommends(s)
187 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 16 Jun 2012, 21:38

TheGingerMan wrote:Why? Because recording is a fun-filled wily caper; and getting any written documentation is exceedingly difficult, and often as useless as a pig on a wing.

Exactly. Worthless.

Hartzell wrote:You have a full right to have all "work conditions" specified in writing.

Funny guy. Try that shit on with your average buxiban laoban and see how long you keep your job. :roll:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

888 Recommends(s)
326 Recognized(s)

Postby TaFCoML » 17 Jun 2012, 02:12

Boy does this all sound familiar. Check the second page
Derp.
Forumosan avatar
TaFCoML
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

4 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 17 Jun 2012, 15:25

jimipresley wrote:
TheGingerMan wrote:Why? Because recording is a fun-filled wily caper; and getting any written documentation is exceedingly difficult, and often as useless as a pig on a wing.

Exactly. Worthless.

Hartzell wrote:You have a full right to have all "work conditions" specified in writing.

Funny guy. Try that shit on with your average buxiban laoban and see how long you keep your job. :roll:

Hartzell lives on another planet. Treat him with a bit of respect, please! He's been here FOREVER! He's even written a damn BOOK about dealing with the wily inscrutables (although you'd never guess, judging from his posts on here).
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby Hartzell » 18 Jun 2012, 12:13

sandman wrote:Hartzell lives on another planet. Treat him with a bit of respect, please! He's been here FOREVER!

Don't we all live on Mars??

Men Are From Mars, and Women Are From Venus

Isn't that the correct formulation??
Richard W. Hartzell
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell

18 Recognized(s)

Postby kjmillig » 18 Jun 2012, 12:36

I'd record it! Get a simple digital recorder and stick it in your shirt pocket. Some are the size of a pen.
In the USA it actually depends on which state you're in. Some say you must have the consent of the other party for any recording, some say video only in public places, some say vid and sound in public but consent in private. Each is a little different.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race [except in Taiwan]. ~paraphrased from H.G. Wells
Forumosan avatar
kjmillig
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

5 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to General Legal Matters