Should I call the police for something like that?

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Should I call the police for something like that?

Postby spyfire27 » 13 Jun 2012, 06:31

Yesterday morning I woke up and realized there was about 1 inch of water on the floor of my room. There was a connected power bar floating in the water. And what was the first thing I did waking up? Putting my two foot right into the water (I didn't see the water of course).

I called the landlord which immediately came and cleaned the place for me. It's easy to say that it was because of the heavy rain, but doubts strongly persist in my mind. One thing that is very strange is that we could not find where that could come from. The complete area surrounding my room was almost completely dry, including the walls and the ceiling. My window was very tightly closed as well. She also told me that this was the first time that ever happened. This morning, I wake up and I see this empty 6L water bottle in the kitchen which wasn't there yesterday. Not to sound paranoid, but this is scary.

I have to say that I am having a lot of issues with a Taiwanese roommate that has been showing hatred toward me since day one for no particular reason. There have frequently been such kind of accidents in this place. This antisocial guy has huge anger issues, and I believe he is the one who poured water under my door while I was sleeping, and using this heavy rain day as an alibi.

In this situation, could the electrical current be strong enough to electrocute me to death or not? Should I call the police for such a situation? Would they take my complaint seriously? The place has already been cleaned, so there is not much remaining evidence.
spyfire27
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Should I call the police for something like that?

Postby tommy525 » 13 Jun 2012, 06:46

I think you have a strong chance of electrocution as described. And I think you should move.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

613 Recommends(s)
381 Recognized(s)

Postby grandfeller » 13 Jun 2012, 08:21

tommy525 wrote:I think you have a strong chance of electrocution as described. And I think you should move.

I second that. Calling the police won't help.
grandfeller
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 13 Jun 2012, 10:33

Third that. Just move. Even in a country where the police actually give a shit, they'd have trouble connecting this to your roommate. It most likely wasn't him (you'd need 300L to put 1" of water on the floor of an average-sized bedroom) but it sounds like he's a royal pain in the ass anyway.

btw you probably wouldn't have been electrocuted in that situation, because the shortest return path for the current would be through the water and the floor, not through you.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

874 Recommends(s)
662 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 13 Jun 2012, 10:39

in the worst case you would have gotten a little electric foot massage.
you are staying in some kind of dormitory?

I wouldn't sleep in a place where people that I'm unrelated to have access!
If you can, change locks. If there's a "public kitchen" be careful about potential poisoning.

Equip yourself with infrared cameras, alarms (... and booby traps, trip wires...)
Forumosan avatar
engerim
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 13 Jun 2012, 10:45

A room in my house was flooded enough to invite ducks over to stay yesterday, so it was probably the rain in your case too. I couldn't find out where the water was seeping in from either.
Calling the police won't help as they'd have difficulty connecting the rain with your flatmate. As said before, 6L of water is a nuisance but not enough to float things.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 13 Jun 2012, 23:36

GET YOUR SHIT OUT NOW AND MOVE TO A HOSTEL/HOTEL!

WTF would you even THINK about staying ONE SINGLE night somewhere like that?

Run Forest, run... :yay:
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby kjmillig » 14 Jun 2012, 07:55

Who's name is on the contract? If the place is in you name, throw all his stuff out the door and change the locks. If it's joint, then move today! If it's his place, then move today after hiding a dead fish in his closet!
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race [except in Taiwan]. ~paraphrased from H.G. Wells

This post was recommended by finley (14 Jun 2012, 12:22)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
kjmillig
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 15 Jun 2012, 00:27

Get angry, and man that perimetre!
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
242 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby 2Enigma » 11 Jul 2012, 18:02

Confuzius wrote:GET YOUR SHIT OUT NOW AND MOVE TO A HOSTEL/HOTEL!

WTF would you even THINK about staying ONE SINGLE night somewhere like that?

Run Forest, run... :yay:

DITTO THAT!
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel

"Once, while lost in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and was forced to live on nothing but bread and water for several days." W.C. Fields
2Enigma
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 13 Sep 1991

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to General Legal Matters