What age can your mixed child fly out with only one parent?

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: What age can your mixed child fly out with only one parent?

Postby sandman » 23 Aug 2011, 13:15

tomthorne wrote:
irishstu wrote:
tomthorne wrote:Make sure you get both passports stamped when leaving Taoyuan airport, otherwise it confuses them when you return.

Huh? How does that work? I just show the Taiwanese one when leaving or entering Taiwan and the British one when entering or leaving the UK (or as will be the case this time, Ireland).

I dunno. My wife told me to make sure I got my kid's Taiwanese and British passport stamped when leaving. She said that if the Taiwanese one wasn't stamped immigration wouldn't know where she had come from upon our return. I just do what the boss tells me to do, and things usually work out well. I try not to think too much.

Of course. He must leave and return on his Taiwanese passport, just as he must enter and leave UK on his UK passport. Where he goes after that is immaterial and something immigration has no right to know.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 23 Aug 2011, 13:30

Sure, I've shown both passports at times, mostly to show we have permission to enter the destination country, but they've never STAMPED the British passport on the way out of Taiwan.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

61 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 23 Aug 2011, 15:08

I think that if the parents are not married or divorced, the custodial parent has to agree to apply for a Taiwan passport. If both parents are joint custodians, both have to agree.

Taiwanese parents in this situation report not being able to take their kids out of the country when the custodial parent agrees. I don't know if this happens at the airport though.

Also, I think it's possible under some circumstances for the non-custodial parent to get an injunction prohibiting the custodial parent from taking the child out of Taiwan. This is entered in the Immigration Agency's computers like a travel ban from a court. So in this case you would be stopped at the airport. Injunctions are probably very rare though.

I don't think this has anything to do with the ethnicity of the child. It applies to children where both parents are Taiwanese.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby viba » 14 Feb 2012, 10:21

I've taken my kids back to the UK every summer for the past seven years. Often without the Mrs; it's never been an issue.
viba
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

31 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby shirley s » 13 Apr 2013, 22:35

Had taken my kids when very young to Canada by myself. No probs on the Taiwan side. Prob only arose in Canada,
Needed a notorized consent form,lots of custody battles have made it difficult for honest people.
shirley s
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

2 Recommends(s)

Postby Original Ian » 23 Apr 2013, 14:42

The first time I took my son out of Taiwan without his mother he was 3 years old, that was 3 years ago. After having already had our passports stamped and heading toward the gate, the officer called me back and asked me to wait. I waited about 3 minutes and then he said I could go. It was only later that I found out he had called my wife to confirm it was ok to be taking my son alone. I have taken my son alone on two occasions since and they have not called my wife.
Original Ian
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to General Legal Matters