What age can your mixed child fly out with only one parent?

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

What age can your mixed child fly out with only one parent?

Postby timmyjames » 17 Mar 2009, 22:48

I know Taiwan has some odd law about children who have one local parent and one foreign parent cannot leave the country without the local parent. Does anyone know at what age this stops?
timmyjames
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: What age can your mixed child fly out with only one parent?

Postby maoman » 18 Mar 2009, 00:07

timmyjames wrote:I know Taiwan has some odd law about children who have one local parent and one foreign parent cannot leave the country without the local parent.

Sez who? I've never heard of this.
Forumosan avatar
maoman

72 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Modest Mouse » 18 Mar 2009, 00:07

Also, Dude, "mixed" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Half-breed", please.
Modest Mouse
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

7 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby timmyjames » 18 Mar 2009, 08:11

Maoman wrote:
timmyjames wrote:I know Taiwan has some odd law about children who have one local parent and one foreign parent cannot leave the country without the local parent.

It is some strange law "to protect Taiwanese children." My Canadian friend has a Taiwanese wife, and they have a little girl. He wanted his parents to meet the little girl, so he purchased tickets to fly him and his daughter back to Canada. I think his daughter was under 1 year old.

Long story short, even though his wife was at the airport with him, wishing him a safe trip, he was still not allowed to take his daughter out of the country. His wife was there telling the airline/immigration, that all was well, but they refused. The basically said it is the law and its "to protect Taiwanese children."

It was the first time I heard of it too.
timmyjames

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby timmyjames » 18 Mar 2009, 08:12

Modest Mouse wrote:Also, Dude, "mixed" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Half-breed", please.

That makes me want to fire up some CCR.
timmyjames

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 18 Mar 2009, 08:21

timmyjames wrote:
Maoman wrote:

It is some strange law "to protect Taiwanese children." My Canadian friend has a Taiwanese wife, and they have a little girl. He wanted his parents to meet the little girl, so he purchased tickets to fly him and his daughter back to Canada. I think his daughter was under 1 year old.

Long story short, even though his wife was at the airport with him, wishing him a safe trip, he was still not allowed to take his daughter out of the country. His wife was there telling the airline/immigration, that all was well, but they refused. The basically said it is the law and its "to protect Taiwanese children."

It was the first time I heard of it too.

The first time my American friend left Taiwan with her daughter, her mother-in-law had to vouch for her that it was okay to leave with her. I (American) took my son out of the country by myself with no problems. I know that in order to get a passport for your child, both parents must sign the passport application--that's in both Taiwan and the States. I've never heard of a law that you can't leave alone with your child if you're foreign.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Anubis » 18 Mar 2009, 09:01

It is some strange law "to protect Taiwanese children.

Is this really a law per se? Can anybody post a link?
Sekhem Em Pet

Taiwan UP
Forumosan avatar
Anubis
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

2 Recommends(s)

Postby the chief » 18 Mar 2009, 10:17

This sounds like bushwah.
"Mixed", "Half-breed", "miscegenated", etc., aren't exactly legal qualifications, so I doubt there are laws in place governing behaviour based thereon.
Passports, OK.
I know that a few years ago, first the US, then many other countries, implemented a rule that any change in a kid's passport status had to be authorised by both parents, to combat custody-related abductions.
I would wager there was some irregularity in the paperwork or other problem that wasn't relayed in the original account.
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 18 Mar 2009, 10:30

Our kid's passports -- Brit and Taiwanese -- had to be authenticated by both parents with marriage certificates, etc. Nothing about the kid being forbidden from traveling. How would the immigration officer even know you're traveling with your husband or wife, anyway? It's not like you go through immigration as a pair. I took the kid through immigration on the way out of Taiwan last month and the wife took him through on the way back. No questions, no problems.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 18 Mar 2009, 10:38

sandman wrote:Our kid's passports -- Brit and Taiwanese -- had to be authenticated by both parents with marriage certificates, etc. Nothing about the kid being forbidden from traveling. How would the immigration officer even know you're traveling with your husband or wife, anyway? It's not like you go through immigration as a pair. I took the kid through immigration on the way out of Taiwan last month and the wife took him through on the way back. No questions, no problems.

One has to assume that this would be the case even in situations where the father didn't look like a brain-damaged convict...
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to General Legal Matters