What age can your mixed child fly out with only one parent?

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: What age can your mixed child fly out with only one parent?

Postby Mother Theresa » 18 Mar 2009, 10:55

Related question: Can anyone tell me at what age a child is allowed to fly from New York to Taiwan with its prostitute mother?
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby timmyjames » 18 Mar 2009, 10:58

Well this is a very true situation. it was a co-worker. I think it sounds crazy too. He is an older guy too. Looks respectable. No past problems. very strange.
timmyjames
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby timmyjames » 18 Mar 2009, 11:02

sandman wrote:Our kid's passports -- Brit and Taiwanese -- had to be authenticated by both parents with marriage certificates, etc. Nothing about the kid being forbidden from traveling. How would the immigration officer even know you're traveling with your husband or wife, anyway? It's not like you go through immigration as a pair. I took the kid through immigration on the way out of Taiwan last month and the wife took him through on the way back. No questions, no problems.

When I came back for the USA after Chinese New Year, Immigration sent us through as a family..me (USA), my wife(Taiwanese) and my daughter (both). The sent me through the citizen line (or whatever it is) with them.
timmyjames

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 18 Mar 2009, 15:43

timmyjames wrote:
Maoman wrote:
timmyjames wrote:I know Taiwan has some odd law about children who have one local parent and one foreign parent cannot leave the country without the local parent.

Sez who? I've never heard of this.

It is some strange law "to protect Taiwanese children." My Canadian friend has a Taiwanese wife, and they have a little girl. He wanted his parents to meet the little girl, so he purchased tickets to fly him and his daughter back to Canada. I think his daughter was under 1 year old.

Long story short, even though his wife was at the airport with him, wishing him a safe trip, he was still not allowed to take his daughter out of the country. His wife was there telling the airline/immigration, that all was well, but they refused. The basically said it is the law and its "to protect Taiwanese children."

It was the first time I heard of it too.

Did your Canadian friend's daughter have a Canadian passport?
Just so you know, I just asked this question recently on parentpages, and you can see the responses I got. I didn't really get a definitive answer:
http://www.parentpages.net/tw/viewtopic ... 085#p15085
To be safe, it might be best to take a copy of your household registration proving the relationship between parent and child.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

17 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 18 Mar 2009, 16:03

Mother Theresa wrote:Related question: Can anyone tell me at what age a child is allowed to fly from New York to Taiwan with its prostitute mother?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 18 Mar 2009, 18:24

To be safe, it might be best to take a copy of your household registration proving the relationship between parent and child.

How would that help? The issue of this nonsense seems to be parental abduction, not whether you're actually the child's parent or not.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 18 Mar 2009, 20:02

sandman wrote:

How would that help? The issue of this nonsense seems to be parental abduction, not whether you're actually the child's parent or not.

They like it if you show documents with many red stamps and big characters in big tables?

My suggestion: If you fail one immigration officer ... go to the next counter.

Its like I never payed entrance for one of the trade shows in Taipei.
Most of them only check the papers of the yellow-breed, those racists.
Forumosan avatar
engerim
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 18 Mar 2009, 22:58

sandman wrote:

You may very well be right about that, but I just thought that it might be a paperwork technicality since the OP said the following:
Long story short, even though his wife was at the airport with him, wishing him a safe trip, he was still not allowed to take his daughter out of the country. His wife was there telling the airline/immigration, that all was well, but they refused. The basically said it is the law and its "to protect Taiwanese children."

It didn't seem to be a problem of abduction if the mother is there giving her consent, but who knows. I think the advice of trying a different counter is a good idea.

I'm still curious if this applies to children who only have Taiwan passports, or if they give you a free pass if your child also has a foreign passport of your destination country. That seemed to be what was implied by one poster on Parentpages.net
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

17 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 18 Mar 2009, 23:23

scomargo wrote:I'm still curious if this applies to children who only have Taiwan passports, or if they give you a free pass if your child also has a foreign passport of your destination country. That seemed to be what was implied by one poster on Parentpages.net

Why would parents of a half-breed want their kid to have a Taiwanese passports? Even Taiwanese don't want it :-)
Seems we finally found the reason why. :-)

-- I'm surrounded at work by Canadians that do not speak English (or French).
Forumosan avatar
engerim

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby ice raven » 29 Jul 2009, 00:02

I've read online that a lot of airlines are nervous about taking a small child and only one parent as they're worried they'll get mixed up in international court cases and maybe have to fly people home for free.

I've also heard that if you're taking your child with you without your spouse, you should take a written letter from her giving her permission. Maybe get it witnessed and some stamps put on it.

Just in case something goes wrong, and someone somewhere starts asking the wrong questions. Last time someone started asking awkward questions of me (not about this though) was at a transit airport - I mean hell, what are they going to do, send me home? Either stop me before I go, or stop me going back, but half way on a flight???
ice raven
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to General Legal Matters