What age can your mixed child fly out with only one parent?

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: What age can your mixed child fly out with only one parent?

Postby bobl » 29 Jul 2009, 22:09

Don't know why some had problems, but I have had my rug rat overseas several times with just him and I going through Immigration no questions asked. OTH, maybe if a local spouse has notifyed Immigration, they might stop you, otherwise I don't see a problem.
Two of my friends, also Americans, take their kids out by themselves every summer too.
Elvis has left the building.
bobl
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

Postby irishstu » 23 Aug 2011, 10:58

I'm just bumping this thread to see if anyone has any recent experience with this, as I'll be travelling overseas with my four-year-old daughter soon.

Anyone?
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

42 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 23 Aug 2011, 11:25

irishstu wrote:I'm just bumping this thread to see if anyone has any recent experience with this, as I'll be travelling overseas with my four-year-old daughter soon.

Anyone?

I've flown with my kids (without my wife) on three different trips. I've never been given a hard time by anybody. You'll be fine.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

16 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 23 Aug 2011, 11:44

Maybe this is one of those "fan death" or "Chinese people turn dead babies into pills" types of things --- once someone starts the rumor, it never dies.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, & cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients, as well as many of those ingredients themselves, at our shop in Donghu (Neihu). Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

36 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 23 Aug 2011, 12:09

I took my 8 month old bundle of joy back to the UK in August and had no problems. The immigration guy at Heathrow asked me where her mother was and I replied that she was staying in Taiwan. We then went through.

I think that this is one of those "expat myths" that tend to do the rounds.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
178 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 23 Aug 2011, 12:48

OK, good to know. Thanks, all.

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

42 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 23 Aug 2011, 13:00

Make sure you get both passports stamped when leaving Taoyuan airport, otherwise it confuses them when you return.
tomthorne

217 Recommends(s)
178 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 23 Aug 2011, 13:04

tomthorne wrote:Make sure you get both passports stamped when leaving Taoyuan airport, otherwise it confuses them when you return.

Huh? How does that work? I just show the Taiwanese one when leaving or entering Taiwan and the British one when entering or leaving the UK (or as will be the case this time, Ireland).

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

42 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 23 Aug 2011, 13:09

irishstu wrote:
tomthorne wrote:Make sure you get both passports stamped when leaving Taoyuan airport, otherwise it confuses them when you return.

Huh? How does that work? I just show the Taiwanese one when leaving or entering Taiwan and the British one when entering or leaving the UK (or as will be the case this time, Ireland).

I dunno. My wife told me to make sure I got my kid's Taiwanese and British passport stamped when leaving. She said that if the Taiwanese one wasn't stamped immigration wouldn't know where she had come from upon our return. I just do what the boss tells me to do, and things usually work out well. I try not to think too much.
tomthorne

217 Recommends(s)
178 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 23 Aug 2011, 13:11

irishstu wrote:

That's what I do.
I seem to recall that I needed to show his Brit passport at check-in, as the ticket was made out in his English name rather than his Taiwanese one, and that name doesn't appear on his ROC passport, but that's got nothing to do with immigration. The airline just wanted to make sure he had a travel document that matched the name on the ticket.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to General Legal Matters