How to deal with gossiping neighbours.

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

How to deal with gossiping neighbours.

Postby dargus » 12 Nov 2010, 17:28

Our nearly 1 year old kid sometimes cries at night, when he is hungry; perhaps for 10 seconds or even up to 2 minutes.
One neighbour does not like it and starts spreading malicious gossip. F.i.: we would hit our child. The neighbour even seems to have reported it to the police.

We are currently considering how to deal with this situation.
The police stated that a recording of any kind, recording the neighbour's voice, would be a first step.
Finding any possible witnesses of similar defamating facts would be a second stap. Then, we could have a case.

Have you had any experiences with gossiping neighbours, spreading malicious rumours?
What did you do?
How would you settle this kind of problem?
dargus
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: How to deal with gossiping neighbours.

Postby maoman » 12 Nov 2010, 17:38

dargus wrote:One neighbour does not like it and starts spreading malicious gossip. F.i.: we would hit our child. The neighbour even seems to have reported it to the police.

Details, please. How has this gotten back to you? Have the police contacted you?

dargus wrote:What did you do? How would you settle this kind of problem?

Why do you care? In my experience, most people pay no attention to these kinds of busybodies. The ones that do believe what they say are are idiots, and of little import. Is this affecting your daily life in any way?
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 12 Nov 2010, 18:37

dargus wrote:Finding any possible witnesses of similar defamating facts would be a second stap.

You may have difficulty finding anyone who is willing to cross the gossiping neighbor and side with the foreigner. :2cents:
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

32 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 12 Nov 2010, 18:49

SHIT+PAPERSACK+LIGHTER+DOORBELL+RUN
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
463 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 13 Nov 2010, 11:06

Confrontation! Coupled with tactical undermining.....
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
239 Recognized(s)
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby Nuit » 13 Nov 2010, 15:03

Deuce Dropper wrote:SHIT+PAPERSACK+LIGHTER+DOORBELL+RUN

Dammit, that's it. I got in all kinds of trouble with
PAPERSACK+LIGHTER+RUN+DOORBELL+SHIT
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 13 Nov 2010, 15:06

Why do you even care? Like they're going to give a shit what you do!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby k.k. » 13 Nov 2010, 15:43

Sure, it's unpleasant if you suspect a neighbor is gossiping about you, but at the end of the day if it doesn't affect your life, forget about it. Those kind of people are simply not worth your time. You don't give a shit about them, right? So don't sweat it. There's lots of locals here who have too much time on their hands and like to cause trouble where there is none.

I'm the only foreigner in my small apartment building, and despite being a friendly guy, I know there are some neighbors who don't like me for whatever reasons. Probably just because I'm a foreigner and they occasionally hear Western noise coming from my apartment rather than Mandarin husband/wife quarrels or KTV blaring on at all hours. But I don't give a shit. Taipei is a noisy city. I deal with, and they have to as well.
Forumosan avatar
k.k.
"Drinks for the House!"

30 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 13 Nov 2010, 17:13

I remember having this twice when our kid was 1 or 2, each time it was a couple of gossiping a-ma's, although we were travelling both times and it was easier to confront. They’ve got nothing better to do, presumably their own kids (if they had anyway) have grown up, and they feel obliged to comment on the parenting skills of the big-nose and his wife.

On the one plane, this woman was really pissing off my wife, loudly saying that we obviously weren’t feeding our daughter properly, and we should be doing this, shouldn’t be doing that, on and on. In the end, I went over and politely told her to STFU. She did (or at least I couldn’t hear her after that).

It’s trickier if it’s around home, but I think you still got to confront him/her. Tell them to mind their own business, don’t mince your words. Impose yourself on the neighbourhood. Have the wife and child there as back-up.

Wouldn’t even consider legal stuff right now. This should be in Parenting forum. Just throw your weight around.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit

74 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 13 Nov 2010, 20:26

misinformation. feed them grist for their mill, that eventually makes them look like idiots.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to General Legal Matters