US citizens having a baby in Taiwan

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

US citizens having a baby in Taiwan

Postby Atabeira » 20 Mar 2011, 16:02

Hi,
my partner and I will be having a baby soon and we were wondering about the legal status of the baby. We don't know anybody that has experienced this so we have no idea where to go or who could orient us. Any ideas? suggestions?
Atabeira
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: US citizens having a baby in Taiwan

Postby housecat » 20 Mar 2011, 16:17

Atabeira wrote:Hi,
my partner and I will be having a baby soon and we were wondering about the legal status of the baby. We don't know anybody that has experienced this so we have no idea where to go or who could orient us. Any ideas? suggestions?

What nationality do you and your partner have?
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby saddletramp » 20 Mar 2011, 16:48

Follow this link to AIT for a report of birth abroad, you will need it to get a passport and SSN for your new one.
http://acs.ait.org.tw/report-birth-abroad.html

I did it 8 years ago, but it was not at all difficult.
Forumosan avatar
saddletramp
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

113 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Atabeira » 20 Mar 2011, 22:03

Housecat - we're both US citizens

Saddletramp - thank you so much! :)
Atabeira

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby achdizzy1099 » 20 Mar 2011, 23:36

I'm not sure if this policy is still in place, but years ago if a foreign baby was born here on Taiwan soil it was standard protocol for the government to take the baby and send it to the Taiwanese Reeducation Center in Tainan. It was a one week orientation designed to avoid the societal danger of inherited foreign instincts a newborn may harbor. My memory is a bit patchy here, but I believe the week involved rigorous postnatal introductions to basic Taiwanese survival skills, for instance, there is a quick tutorial regarding betel nut chewing and the proper way to litter in public parks, an instructional video hosted by Zhu ge Liang demonstrating the ancient Taiwan tradition of constantly being in someone's way. The week ends with the little ones being placed in a stroller and push up and down busy alleyways during rush hour, and finally, assuming they pass the written driving test (which any newborn can do) they get sent home with a 50cc Kymco and matching Doraemon skateboard helmet.

Unfortunately, there is no citizenship birth rights in Taiwan :-(

T
Some people have a big mouth.....
Forumosan avatar
achdizzy1099
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

5 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to General Legal Matters