Moderating the Moderators

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Re: Moderating the Moderators

Postby TainanCowboy » 31 Dec 2011, 10:05

Toe Save wrote:
TainanCowboy wrote:Alelujah!...I have "gotten it!"
In my sleep I have had a Eureka! moment!

A precedent of pugnacious punditry has long been established!
Ergo Mr. Smiths theory is correct!

However, the change in gate-keepers invalidates the historical heritage long regarded as SOP.
Its all "top down" now -> identify, isolate and eliminate.

Get with the new program Mr. Smith.
Buy a copy of the accepted lingo. Identify, adapt and overcome.
Straighten that beret, fluff the neckerchief and march to the new drummer!

....(cue up Ode to Joy!)

"The Flob" has not so much changed "gate-keepers" as seen its long suffering majordomo retire to a quiet little villa in south cyberspace where life is 'easey. However, the remaining guardian, the one who worked side by side for all those years with The Chairman is still here and still moving the site forward as he sees fit. Mods have come and gone lo these last 10+ years, as have admins. Goose Egg's always been here. Ants was the public face and driving force for a long time but just because we didn't feel Gus around as much, it doesn't mean there wasn't always a Goose on our Mavericks' 6. GE has been steadily guiding The Flob giving her ample leeway to take most any heading she desired, within reason. And as always, GE brings good things to light.

Now we have a brewing tempest in our little teapot. We are in unchartered waters now and a firmer hand is required on the helm. By giving these "feedback" threads your time and words, you seem to care about the new direction as well. So do you wish to have the ear of the Captain or be mutineers?

However couched in the the precocious pedantic prose presently presented, perhaps pugilistic pundits such as your good selves could probably prepare for the future more precisely proffering less prosaic profoundity? Try this exercise: Imagine you have the power to fix one flobbin' thing. What one thing would you like to see the moderators do differently? What one piece of sage advice would you offer the new breed of floberator?

I'll start. Dear Mods, please only moderate when doing nothing can't possibly be a choice.

This is a very recent addition to the flob's merch shop. I think Goose Egg is sending a very clear message with this T-shirt. As a moderator, I'd look at this and find out how Gus interprets this advice as it applies to the flob.

That said, since the online persona of Toe Save washed up on forumosan shores some ten years ago, I've visited many other sites with forums. I belong to an MMA forum, a downloadin' forum, several Taiwan-based ones and several others. For all their differences, there is one thing all but the flob have in common. Mods are ghods everywhere else. Even the ones paid to do the job. No one ever questions their decisions. In fact, doing so on most forums gets one tossed to the isp bin post-haste. With that in mind, I proffer "feedforward" to us hoi polloi. R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Ya know, I was surprised awhiles back by a stern request to tone down the cussin'. Likewise, the locking of threads that I felt still had some dis-cussin' to do (see what I did there?) got the middle half of my monobrow headed north.

But I took it as a challenge. It's easy to swear. It's considerably more intelligent not to. Instead of raging against the machine as is a younger man's wont, I decided to rise to the challenge and brought my prose along for the ride. The locking of threads may shake your cankles from time to time, but who cares really? So there are still some Aussies running around thinking Shylock ain't an epithet. In the big scheme of things, does it matter?

Nice to see agreement (why is the t-shirt not in english?)

As noted previously...
Get with the new program Mr. Smith.
Buy a copy of the accepted lingo. Identify, adapt and overcome.
Straighten that beret, fluff the neckerchief and march to the new drummer!

....(cue up Ode to Joy!)

I recommend this 3-part version by Bernstein....here is part 1
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby fred smith » 31 Dec 2011, 10:14

Constant corralling and curtailing of clumsy kant calls for calamitous complaint in my cosmos. So if moderators want to interrupt with mindless missives and then demand respect for their contemptible sophomoric frothings and temp delete or suspend when they don't get it then I have a problem. I see the intellectual midgets mouthing inanities and expecting their driveby comments to be hailed with hosannas despite doing nothing to educate themselves or step up to the plate to deliver.
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Toe Save » 31 Dec 2011, 10:29

Ya know....as a lifelong fan of Stanley Kubrick, Malcolm McDowell and Anthony Burgess with special emphasis on what brought the three of them together, I get chills about your post TC. Chills and thrills.

are we in fact

writin' nadsat?

A Flobwork Orange?

Is this where we're heading? Or maybe we are there now? Do I paint my goalie jock white?

Thrills.....

:nsfw:
Spoiler: show

:whistle:
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

62 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby Toe Save » 31 Dec 2011, 10:38

I don't think suspensions come from not getting it. They come from things like

fred smith wrote: their contemptible sophomoric frothings and temp delete or suspend when they don't get it then I have a problem. I see the intellectual midgets mouthing inanities and expecting their driveby comments to be hailed with hosannas despite doing nothing to educate themselves or step up to the plate to deliver.

If not suspensions, deaf ears, nu?

Fred, do you want this to be a place that moves forward? You called for feedforward. Lead by example, like a fine host would.
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save

62 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby citizen k » 31 Dec 2011, 12:21

fred smith wrote:I see the intellectual midgets mouthing inanities and expecting their driveby comments to be hailed with hosannas despite doing nothing to educate themselves or step up to the plate to deliver.

Perhaps you took a wrong turn on your way to the Übermensch fora where requisites for ruthless warrior pride and artistic brilliance are a given then; what I mean is, perhaps you've just been batting in the wrong sandlot and are looking for a better game, my friend... :lol:

Watched a great movie the other night, Fred; had some Wagner in it that made me think of you straight away. Raise a glass (or eight) of Old Vine Zin tonight and have a happy New Year! New Year's makes me sentimental; have a good one, friend. :wink:

citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 21 Jan 1996

Postby BigJohn » 31 Dec 2011, 13:03

fred smith wrote:Constant corralling and curtailing of clumsy kant calls for calamitous complaint in my cosmos. So if moderators want to interrupt with mindless missives and then demand respect for their contemptible sophomoric frothings and temp delete or suspend when they don't get it then I have a problem. I see the intellectual midgets mouthing inanities and expecting their driveby comments to be hailed with hosannas despite doing nothing to educate themselves or step up to the plate to deliver.

Yes, whatever. Please try avoid making personal insults in your posts, stay more or less on topic, and respect other posters and you will never have an issue with the mods.
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

1 Recommends(s)
120 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 31 Dec 2011, 13:13

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

I see the intellectual midgets...

Not allowed to use that word...they are "Little People"

Sometimes "Vertically Challenged" is preferred

...and be very careful if the short shits are drunk...nothing good will come of it...
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby fred smith » 31 Dec 2011, 13:26

Rise to lift ones skirt to hide rather than face a challenge to lift ones game :) :) :)
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby fred smith » 31 Dec 2011, 13:37

Ahhhhhh wagner. Und tristan und isolde oder eine andere? Yes lift a glass but not zinfandel NOT good for combatting wehmutlichkeit. Mehr besser zu trinken champagner die ganze nacht.
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby fred smith » 31 Dec 2011, 14:19

BuzzBbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbZzzzzzzzzzzz

Yes I see them too tainancowboy

But barely

Can they

Really

Be

So

S

M

A

L

L

?
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Feedback