Search not working for 3-letter search words

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Re: Search not working for 3-letter search words

Postby Dragonbones » 30 Dec 2011, 14:04

Well, thanks for that effort, and sorry it resulted in problems!
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
39 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby goose egg » 30 Dec 2011, 21:46

Dragonbones wrote:Well, thanks for that effort, and sorry it resulted in problems!

No worries. We learned something about the new server, which is useful to know.

Let us know if any 3-letter word searches do seem to slow things down (they shouldn't). We will also look to clear the blocked words list, so words like "Taiwanese" may be used -- although the idea behind the blocked words is that they are too frequently mentioned to be useful results in the first place.

"When life is meaningless, life is cheap"
- finley
Image Filipinos sa Taiwan LinkedIn Group
Forumosan avatar
goose egg
Forumosa Admin

106 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 09 Sep 1992

Postby Tempo Gain » 30 Dec 2011, 23:18

Goose Egg wrote: although the idea behind the blocked words is that they are too frequently mentioned to be useful results in the first place.

They may be useful as qualifiers however. Take my example above. If I'm looking for information on "Taiwanese tones," "tones" is far less useful as I'll be swamped with information on Mandarin tones.

"To sing you must first open your mouth. You must have a pair of lungs and a little knowledge of music. It is not necessary to have an accordion, or a guitar. The essential thing is that I want to sing. Then this is a song, I'm singing..."
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

338 Recommends(s)
327 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 31 Dec 2011, 10:18

Search on Forumosa has never worked since the start ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Feedback