Newbies first impressions

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Re: Newbies first impressions

Postby tommy525 » 20 Feb 2012, 16:38

Me thinks no one is taking away that "right" from you, just opening up another option for you and others to consider. Don't use it if you do not wish to. Is ok, by me anyway .

I think many complaints should be public so others can chime in. After all , a good govt is largely transparent. But a good govt also has "secret meetings" that if used properly adds to the common good. Its a balance.

p.s. said already per above
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

526 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 20 Feb 2012, 16:42

tommy525 wrote:Me thinks no one is taking away that "right" from you, just opening up another option for you and others to consider. Don't use it if you do not wish to. Is ok, by me anyway .

I think many complaints should be public so others can chime in. After all , a good govt is largely transparent. But a good govt also has "secret meetings" that if used properly adds to the common good. Its a balance.

p.s. said already per above

I never said anyone was taking away my rights. I will say though that it the admin would like this kind of cooperation from us then they can reciprocate and engage us in a full private discussion when we are being suspended or warned for some perceived transgression of the rules.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

716 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 20 Feb 2012, 16:54

Yes I agree, on the 3 or 4 times iv been suspended I simply got a curt message to that effect. There is no recourse or review. Completely anti-democratic , "the King has spoken" kinda stuff.

No trial by peers, no proven innocent until found guilty etc etc. :hand:
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

526 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 20 Feb 2012, 16:57

This is your community

Not any more. I'm strictly on the outside looking in, for the most part.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 20 Feb 2012, 17:06

sandman wrote:
This is your community

Not any more. I'm strictly on the outside looking in, for the most part.

Same here, and if and when I actually have feedback I 'd rather have to it go straight to the mods and not through Stew, the ad guy because he thinks for some reason that it would be better that way.

I wonder how the mods themselves would like this approach. :ponder:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 20 Feb 2012, 17:07

Icon wrote:Plus many of the posters reply while under the influence of alcohol, which in turn aggravates the more charming aspects of their personality, being characterized as old farts -really old ones, most of the lot. :whistle: In real life, sober, they are lovely, I assure you, and will give an arm and a leg to help you. Late at night, after a day of working in this mad, Alice's other side of the mirror mini cosmos we like to call Taiwan, and half a bottle in, that is another story. Talk about the school of hard knocks!

QFT. Some of the posters go all Jekyll and Hyde when 9pm rolls round!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1483 Recommends(s)
556 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 20 Feb 2012, 20:51

sandman wrote:
BigJohn wrote:
Spykey wrote:No matter what you you say in an already open Thread or if you start a new Thread there is always some bugger ... sorry member trying to knock you down....WHY?

Constructive Criticism is always welcome but what some members do will really put guests off from joining and members posting.

Please consider the effects of what you post,

I totally agree with you. There are a lot of dickheads on Forumosa who enjoy pissing on other people and their POV's. This is why a lot of people don't bother with Forumosa any more - or do so less and less - except sporadically or to find something out for practical purposes.

Strange the different viewpoints, I guess. From what I've heard OFFLINE (although what do EYE know about this site, after all!), the vast majority of ex-posters have but ONE complaint: The Modding. It IS that simple. And TRUST me! I know FAR, FAR, FAR more ex-flobbers and FAR FAR more extant ones than you could ever HOPE to know. But whatever. I have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share, should I be so inclined. But I'm not. Because of the mods. Or at least because of the way they're being directed. Simple as that.

I think it is not that simple at all. The flob has new direction, certainly. And as such, there's obviously a flexible learning curve. Yet while new mistakes will be made, so will some of the old ones. With the changing of the guard, the old geezers should not feel slighted if they have run out of actionable allies.
So what? It's all just part of the pendulum.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

3 Recommends(s)
216 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 20 Feb 2012, 20:54

Well Sandman, you think people will be honest with you that they found your online style, let's put it mildly, objectionable? I'm sure you will reply you didn't give a fiddler's fart of course.
The old Forumosa was a bit of an old mates club. In fact it was stated as a fact many times on here, that it did not need to be anything more than that. Now many of the old mates have decamped somewhere else to continue the 'new' old mates club!
I always judge a place by the way it treats the odd ones out and I didn't like what I saw sometimes, but I think with people like Tommy and Chewy back around they kind of balance
out the tedium of the staid 'middlum'. As long as they don't start cloning too many Chewies and Tommies things will be fine.
Remember the case with the young E.European girl who was having a baby with a local and posting in rainbow colours. That caused a fit for some folks on here, not the baby, the rainbow colours. How dare she!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.

This post was recommended by ChewDawg (21 Feb 2012, 13:04)
Rating: 5.88%
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1483 Recommends(s)
556 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 20 Feb 2012, 21:03

TheGingerMan wrote: the old geezers should not feel slighted if they have run out of actionable allies.
So what? It's all just part of the pendulum.

Indeed. I don't feel slighted at all. Just bored for the most part. Uninteresting topics, uninteresting replies, uninteresting people, with a tiny handful of notable exceptions.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 20 Feb 2012, 21:10

headhonchoII wrote:Well Sandman, you think people will be honest with you that they found your online style, let's put it mildly, objectionable?

Absolute bollocks. My persona was the result of feedback from other posters, nothing more. For every PM from a whiny limp-wristed pantywaister there would generally be half-a-dozen or more expressing support, etc. I based my online persona on that and that alone. The ponces were a tiny minority.
Doesn't matter now in any case. Water under the bridge. I'm much happier to have so much less invested in this site and so, evidently, are you. So everyone's happier! Where's the downside?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback