Newbies first impressions

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Re: Newbies first impressions

Postby the bear » 22 Feb 2012, 11:15

TheGingerMan wrote:I think the chap in question had his last post in August of 2010. So some time after that, one would assume.

Guy's got issues. No way all 50 of the top posters need their fingers broken. 49 tops. :cool:
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

30 Recommends(s)
117 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 22 Feb 2012, 11:28

I hardly ever have time to go here, and doubt that I am anywhere near the top 50 any more, however honestly, has that much changed?

And merely a question, how come JDSmith and Sandman are both posting here when professing disinterest?

Also - I have been posting for 11 years, time flies. I see tonnes of topics which to me is questions answered and asked before. That naturally leads to less in the way of commitment to the forum, been here done this to death and then some and all that.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

77 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 22 Feb 2012, 11:31

the bear wrote:
TheGingerMan wrote:I think the chap in question had his last post in August of 2010. So some time after that, one would assume.

Guy's got issues. No way all 50 of the top posters need their fingers broken. 49 tops. :cool:

Shocking!
I stand corrected, though, on the date I mentioned prior. His last post was in 08/2011.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
246 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby Adflob Sales » 22 Feb 2012, 11:51

TheGingerMan wrote:
the bear wrote:

Shocking!
I stand corrected, though on the date I mentioned prior. His last post was in 08/2011.

Since which time, we lost Ants. In the vacuum left behind, we plod on. The new world order is that mods have autonomy. They lead by collective.

Since which time, the mods have undergone changes and continue to do so. They are so deserving of your respect flobsters. I truly wish you'd cut them some slack in lieu of paying them their true due.

Since which time, I've joined the team and am working diligently behind the scenes to make the flob experience one you will all be proud to be part of. I've started a complaint department, a brunch club and a sponsors only forum. There is a lot more down the turnpike.

This is slowly evolving into something new. Something bigger and better than ever before. Gus, your mods and I want to usher in an air of unprecedented positivity. We are thrilled that anyone would take the time to offer feedback, either privately or in the Feedback Forum and pledge to listen to all suggestions.

The rules still apply. Be nice. Is it so hard? You learned how in kindergarten, ya?
Stew
Advertising Sales Manager
Forumosa.com
0912-910-500
sales@adflob.com
Adflob Sales
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 22 Feb 2012, 12:04

headhonchoII wrote:The old Forumosa was a bit of an old mates club. In fact it was stated as a fact many times on here, that it did not need to be anything more than that.

Actually when it first started it was a little like the Wild West. Because there were not that many users at the time, a lot of leeway was usually given to posters. It was the interesting debates during this time (e.g., Mailongdong versus ABCGuy) and numerous colorful users that caused the site to grow, expand, and become a dynamic expat site for "bread and circuses, interesting political debate, sometimes crass oneupmanship :lol: , and some useful information for Newbies." The site changed in like 2005/06, when the rules became quite stricter, but as mentioned in your post, were often selectively enforced.

I always judge a place by the way it treats the odd ones out and I didn't like what I saw sometimes, but I think with people like Tommy and Chewy back around they kind of balance out the tedium of the staid 'middlum'.

Well, if you want a dynamic site, you'll always welcome the rainbow of diversity rather than saying it's my way or the highway or picking "court favorites" and inflating their ego by backing them 100%. Humans make mistakes and hold biases. That's why I don't trust too much (I believe in some) centralized executive power whether it's government, moderators, corporations being led by one personality (e.g., Apple and Jobs) or whatever. There's too much room for personal agendas, passive-aggressive behaviour and abuses of power. Checks and balances are damn important. What's the solution to this in any one of those situations? Appointing people that have varied backgrounds/philosophies, who are willing to speak truth to power, and who value fair play/being arms length from power versus being sycophants.

I think this site is moving in the right direction.
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!

This post was recommended by GuyInTaiwan (22 Feb 2012, 12:13)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

112 Recommends(s)
96 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 22 Feb 2012, 12:36

Mr He wrote:
And merely a question, how come JDSmith and Sandman are both posting here when professing disinterest?.

I'm making up for lost time. Sandy's a cranky old bastard. :
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 22 Feb 2012, 13:55

adflobsales wrote:
TheGingerMan wrote:
the bear wrote:

Shocking!
I stand corrected, though on the date I mentioned prior. His last post was in 08/2011.

Since which time, we lost Ants. In the vacuum left behind, we plod on. The new world order is that mods have autonomy. They lead by collective.

Since which time, the mods have undergone changes and continue to do so. They are so deserving of your respect flobsters. I truly wish you'd cut them some slack in lieu of paying them their true due.

Since which time, I've joined the team and am working diligently behind the scenes to make the flob experience one you will all be proud to be part of. I've started a complaint department, a brunch club and a sponsors only forum. There is a lot more down the turnpike.

This is slowly evolving into something new. Something bigger and better than ever before. Gus, your mods and I want to usher in an air of unprecedented positivity. We are thrilled that anyone would take the time to offer feedback, either privately or in the Feedback Forum and pledge to listen to all suggestions.

The rules still apply. Be nice. Is it so hard? You learned how in kindergarten, ya?

Jesus Wept!
You almost had me almost up to the point about being nice.
Nice is one of those loathsome four letter words; such as cute, like, love, and hate, that no where near encompass the true element of the spleen.

And as for kindergarten, I never went to that brainwash. Parents preferred to let me loose upon the local populace, with adequate supervision of course.
I still give alms to certain abodes in Ghana, Germany, and The Republic of Vancouver Island.
I guess that's where all me nice comes from.......
:lick:
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan

4 Recommends(s)
246 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby sandman » 22 Feb 2012, 16:36

TheGingerMan wrote:
adflobsales wrote:
TheGingerMan wrote:
the bear wrote:

Shocking!

Jesus Wept!
You almost had me almost up to the point about being nice.
Nice is one of those loathsome four letter words; such as cute, like, love, and hate, that no where near encompass the true element of the spleen.

And as for kindergarten, I never went to that brainwash. Parents preferred to let me loose upon the local populace, with adequate supervision of course.
I still give alms to certain abodes in Ghana, Germany, and The Republic of Vancouver Island.
I guess that's where all me nice comes from.......
:lick:

We have PONIES where I originally come from. PONIES! How much cuter that that can you GET? Fuck's sake! Clusterfuck. Now, with that out of the way, let's all have a big GROUP HUG! Who's got the jembe? Jesus! :roll:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 22 Feb 2012, 17:28

What like this? Is this what you mean? It's so cool Sandman, you would love it.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 22 Feb 2012, 21:37

adflobsales wrote:Since which time, the mods have undergone changes and continue to do so. They are so deserving of your respect flobsters. I truly wish you'd cut them some slack in lieu of paying them their true due. This is slowly evolving into something new. Something bigger and better than ever before. Gus, your mods and I want to usher in an air of unprecedented positivity. We are thrilled that anyone would take the time to offer feedback, either privately or in the Feedback Forum and pledge to listen to all suggestions. The rules still apply. Be nice. Is it so hard? You learned how in kindergarten, ya?

Something bigger and better? Please first start paying the mods for their time. I would. I never went to kindergarten so cant say I learned much. I learnt HOW by watching F troop. Firstly this site does not relfect the true numbers of active members. The site has been in a vacuum long before Maoman left on his new advernture.

Forum members? Around 200 or so give or take certainly not 20,000, nowhere near that number and never has been. more like 19,500 bot accounts.

Why don't you first clean up the members by pruning all those who say haven't posted since Janaury 2011. That's pretty much what other forums do.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Feedback