So "Fuck you" is now okay in certain forums?

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Re: So "Fuck you" is now okay in certain forums?

Postby Confuzius » 20 Feb 2012, 23:57

I've been insulted, given insults and told people to fuck off here...all without any warnings being issued to anyone.

I have also received one warning, for telling someone they were "acting toolish".

Different forums with different mods. Depends on the mod and probably depends on what the mod had for breakfast, if s/he got any nookie recently, or more likely how busy the mod was that day.

F.com is free. Getting too mad over it is like getting all irate over facebook changing its layout every few months.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 21 Feb 2012, 00:02

Confuzius wrote:...F.com is free.

That's a classic newbie assumption but it's not true. It's not free. There are rules and regulations regarding behavior and these apply across all forums. All mods are expected to enforce the rules. Inconsistency in the enforcement of rules has been a sire spot with the community for a decade but has gotten near out of control in recent months.

In any case, people are frequently suspended and even banned for life for being disruptive. But this is usually not made public so your other point is also inaccurate.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
636 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 21 Feb 2012, 00:05

Muzha Man wrote:
Confuzius wrote:...F.com is free.

That's a classic newbie assumption but it's not true. It's not free. There are rules and regulations regarding behavior and these apply across all forums and. All mods are expected to enforce the rules.

People are frequently suspended and even banned for life for being disruptive. But this is usually not made public.

I didn't mean free like in "home of the free" I meant free of charge (i.e. you don't gotto pay no money for nuttin).

Which it is, unless this is just a newbie assumption and soon I am going to receive a large bill in the mail?
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 21 Feb 2012, 00:32

Maoman was stricter . A "fuck you" would likely have resulted in a suspension. I was warned once for saying someone was being foolish.

Maybe instead of saying Fuck You, say **** you. The point will have been taken, or use (blank) you ! Again , point taken.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
315 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 21 Feb 2012, 12:36

Muzha Man wrote:Seems that way. Heimoshu recently launched into this assault on me:

Sure MM apologized but his apology is as full of shit as him and FM.. Do you think that MM's apology should stand. I think it is typical bigoted BS like that that gets to me....Now some pompous prick on a forum wants to score some points pointing that out and then offer a halfhearted apology. Fuck off.

"Fuck you and you dumbass opinions about South Africans and people who claim to be Taiwanese".

And Bizmark, the mod, leaves it sit and apparently even tags it with a like (he eventually cut the original post but still has left the content on his quote and has even defended the post).

I should have done something about that, and it was my mistake to let it sit. Perhaps I also took your post that initiated that personally, and as a mod, I guess I shouldn't have. I have to work on weekends, and that thread was driving me up the bloody wall, not to mention consuming time I would rather have spent doing other things.
I've asked and been granted leave from LiT, mostly because of time constraints, but also because I often take insults against SA and Taiwan very personally and find that forum very difficult to mod.

/explanation

Apologies that I didn't nip it in the bud. The fault is mine, although a pm or reporting the post would definitely have prompted a sterner reaction from me.

Chris wrote:I must say, it reminds me of when my ex-gf would complain about what an asshole her father was (and he was). But when I dared to mention to her that I thought he was an asshole, I got an earful from her.

People often criticize things that are their own, but don't take kindly to outsiders leveling the same criticisms. Odd human phenomenon, but there you have it.

Chris, on this you are very correct. Saffas are an odd lot that way. We joke and complain about a lot of things, including race that would probably offend most, if not all, North Americans, Europeans and maybe even Aussies. But we don't take kindly to outsiders doing the same, much the same as your example above.

Anyway, apologies all round for not handling this better.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: Charlie Jack (22 Feb 2012, 13:20), Kea (21 Feb 2012, 12:57)
Rating: 11.76%
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 21 Feb 2012, 13:01

Very gracious of you, Biz. Just to let you know, I would have sent a pm in most cases, but seeing that you had "approved" of the comment, and also on the next page mentioned that you never suspended anyone, I thought there was no point.

Again, I do apologize for any misconceptions about my comment regarding South Africans leaving their homeland. It was not meant in any way to insult, but was simply a statement of why it seems a number of your countrymen have taken up citizenship here. In retrospect yes I can see why you and others got annoyed at the statement (for reasons Chris mentioned), even if it is a point you often make yourselves.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
636 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 21 Feb 2012, 13:21

Muzha Man wrote:Very gracious of you, Biz. Just to let you know, I would have sent a pm in most cases, but seeing that you had "approved" of the comment, and also on the next page mentioned that you never suspended anyone, I thought there was no point.

Again, I do apologize for any misconceptions about my comment regarding South Africans leaving their homeland. It was not meant in any way to insult, but was simply a statement of why it seems a number of your countrymen have taken up citizenship here. In retrospect yes I can see why you and others got annoyed at the statement (for reasons Chris mentioned), even if it is a point you often make yourselves.

No worries, mate. I was having a kak day. :bow:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Feedback