Help us Beta-test our new Wiki: Almanac.tw

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Help us Beta-test our new Wiki: Almanac.tw

Postby Adflob Sales » 11 Mar 2012, 10:52

Hello Flobsters,

Thrilled to announce the first of our new sister sites: Almanac.tw

You might have noticed some new content on the right-side of the website. We are preparing to unwrap some long-awaited sister websites and would love to get your feedback.

Forumosa's Almanac (www.almanac.tw) is a Wiki using the same basic software as Wikipedia. If you have ever edited a Wikipedia entry - then go crazy and start typing. If you haven't yet, and want to contribute something to our new Wiki, post your questions in the feedback forum so all of us (those familiar with Wikipedia-style writing) will try to help

NOTE: At the moment, only Forumosans with at least 88 posts are able to edit Forumosa's Almanac. We are open to changing this restriction, so let us know your thoughts when you can.
Stew
Advertising Sales Manager
Forumosa.com
0912-910-500
sales@adflob.com
Adflob Sales
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: Help us Beta-test our new Wiki: Almanac.tw

Postby sulavaca » 11 Mar 2012, 11:29

That's a great idea.
Can you post a simple set of instructions, so that in case I have the time, I can post some stuff up in there?
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 11 Mar 2012, 11:39

wiki is long overdue. Will check later. :thumbsup:
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

73 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 05 Apr 2012, 23:13

So what happened? Wiki is as bare as a month ago. Instructions on how to use?

The one entry there http://www.almanac.tw/taiwan/APRC_Application_Checklist has 1 image and a link to the relevant thread on Forumosa. Which is fine for starters, but that whole thread needs to be disected and the wiki updated. That's where this would be really handy, summarising 70 page threads that contain useful info but which no-one wants to have to spend an hour wading through.

Is there a wiki squad, or is the Almanac just 'out there' with the hope that someone, sometime, might bother to update it.

Forumosan avatar
Nuit

73 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby goose egg » 06 Apr 2012, 10:35

Nuit wrote:Is there a wiki squad, or is the Almanac just 'out there' with the hope that someone, sometime, might bother to update it.

How would a wiki squad work? That sounds good
Click here to see the active topics
Forumosan avatar
goose egg
Forumosa Admin

97 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 06 Apr 2012, 10:49

Lots of folk giving up their free time to make the Almanac the ultimate source for all things Taiwanese :D.
I'd kick off a few East Coast sections if I knew how to work the thing.

Forumosan avatar
Nuit

73 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 06 Apr 2012, 11:11

Are we really going to go down the road of Taiwanease and Forumosa mirroring each others moves? We'll end up with half-assed resources across the board because contributors are split between the two sites. Just my :2cents:
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

27 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby goose egg » 06 Apr 2012, 11:40

the bear wrote:Are we really going to go down the road of Taiwanease and Forumosa mirroring each others moves? We'll end up with half-assed resources across the board because contributors are split between the two sites. Just my :2cents:

I don't think there is a wiki there (yet).

Nuit wrote:I'd kick off a few East Coast sections if I knew how to work the thing.

Are you familiar with writing on Wikipedia? It uses the same software, so this cheatsheet will be helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cheatsheet

It would be nice to establish some rules that will associate that wiki to Forumosa - like using links back to posts or topics in the forums when possible
Forumosan avatar
goose egg
Forumosa Admin

97 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 06 Apr 2012, 13:15

the bear wrote:Are we really going to go down the road of Taiwanease and Forumosa mirroring each others moves? We'll end up with half-assed resources across the board because contributors are split between the two sites. Just my :2cents:

I was thinking just of getting the useful info out of Forumosa, nothing to do with what the 'Ease is doing. There's so much great stuff here, but much of it is hidden away in long threads, or you have to search for it. Ok, when I get time, I'll look at putting something up.

Forumosan avatar
Nuit

73 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby goose egg » 06 Apr 2012, 13:54

I am hoping there will be a button that works like the Evernote button in the upper right corner of each post -- when you press the Almanac button, it copies whatever is in the post in your computer's clipboard. Even better, it could open a new window in the Almanac.tw editor, so you are a couple of steps into creating a new article there

We're working on a number of other things at the moment. We introduced the Alamanac.tw site because it was actually Login-Integrated at the end of December, but we sat on it waiting to have other things in place. It didn't seem to do any harm to make it available now and learn (together as a group) as we go on how best to use it in conjunction with Forumosa
Forumosan avatar
goose egg
Forumosa Admin

97 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Feedback