What an awful thread

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Re: What an awful thread

Postby Steviebike » 19 Apr 2012, 16:07

When you walk about in (I think you are English Steve, right?) England you don't try to cobble together theories about the people around you, they are just people. You don't walk through the high street and say, "these old English people... these young English kids...

Yes I'm English and yes I do actually. I'm by no means ordinary! I have a long running interest in what represents reality to people. I'm a closet philosopher. Taiwan, UK, USA, wherever, I like to observe, and the more details I can get, all the better to be honest. I will interact in all settings where it is possible and Taiwan opens up a whole universe of experience for me so yes I interact here and anywhere I might be able to visit. I can observe so much and remember huge amours of data from a day (can keep me awake at night pondering it). In this matter there are no cultural boundaries, just human nature but, I never said there was, that is another assumption and not mine really.

The poker face thread came about from some pictures I posted in another thread, which went off on a tangent about facial expression (which I like to record as much as I can). Some other posters and I suggested we make the tangent conversation into a new thread, as it could be an interesting topic (as it is to me). Now we are talking about a thread, that is about a thread, that is about a thread - inception moment :D

I would like to point out I'm not some young dude, who is lost in life and pondering stupid questions (or stoned). I'm interested in the fabric of life, it affects a lot of my drawings and I also work as a graphic designer, so how people react to visual stimulus is important to the work I produce. I still very much like what you post. I really can't be bothered with arguments and would rather have fun and take the piss TBH. I'm far happier posting silly pictures than talking about this, but as it really does interest me I thought it might be cool to discuss - which I believe it is and all the comments are welcome.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.

This post was recommended by finley (19 Apr 2012, 16:12)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Omniloquacious » 19 Apr 2012, 16:12

superking wrote:
Steviebike wrote:
'I have to get on with my life, this sort of observation is probably holding me back

What does that mean? I can maybe see a meaning just not sure...

When you walk about in (I think you are English Steve, right?) England you don't try to cobble together theories about the people around you, they are just people.

To the best of my recollection, I used to do exactly that. "Oh, so these must be Chelsea girls!" "Ah, so this is how sink estate families live." "Hmm, I wonder what those gypsies are up to?" "How amusing to see these Norfolk bumpkins at play." "Gosh, those people really are sitting in deckchairs with knotted hankies on their heads." "Those Etonians really do walk around with their noses in the air." etc., etc.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

62 Recommends(s)
186 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 19 Apr 2012, 16:15

sandman wrote:
When you walk about in (I think you are English Steve, right?) England you don't try to cobble together theories about the people around you, they are just people.

Unless they're travelers. Or Rangers supporters. Or any number of the millions of groupings we Brits are wont to use. I'm happy to share your views, Superking, but I 'aint under NO illusions that its a mainstream view. On the contrary, its "live and let live. Unless they're cunts or soapdodgers." And which groups of people constitute cunts is as long as your arm in Britland, IMO. Everybody from Afghan refugees, to travelers, to crustys, to toffee-nosed gits... you name it, there's a group for you. Probably has its roots deep in the class system, I expect.

You are right Sandman, people the world over draw silly conclusions which limit their enjoyment of life. I suppose I am trying to be too much of an every man these days. I try to find the good/truth in things which simply dont require good/truth to be seen in them. And I am projecting and trying to tell people how to think. I am a bit of a dreamer.

I should just let everyone get on with it. Carry on with your categorical behaviour, people. Go bananas.

Hey Steve, I wasn't particularly saying you were stupid to start that thread. It's nothing personal about you, it's just about me being me. I hope we are cool. I like your posts.

Omin, yeah but you delineate. You aren't saying "English girls are this, English men are that." The only delineations we see on these boards are taike men and pschyo women (and now grumpy looking old people). The categories are drawn too broadly, so the models are easily open to attack. :D
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

ORIGINAL POSTER
65 Recommends(s)
271 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 19 Apr 2012, 16:29

superking wrote:Hey Steve, I wasn't particularly saying you were stupid to start that thread. It's nothing personal about you, it's just about me being me. I hope we are cool. I like your posts.

The respect is mutual SK. We're Kool and the Gang.

EDIT

superking wrote:Omin, yeah but you delineate. You aren't saying "English girls are this, English men are that." The only delineations we see on these boards are taike men and pschyo women (and now grumpy looking old people). The categories are drawn too broadly, so the models are easily open to attack.

This is true, I also don't like this. There are reasons for actions but rarely are they anything to do with 'types'.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 19 Apr 2012, 17:25

Steviebike in response to Superking wrote:Yes I'm English and yes I do actually. I'm by no means ordinary! I have a long running interest in what represents reality to people. I'm a closet philosopher. Taiwan, UK, USA, wherever, I like to observe, and the more details I can get, all the better to be honest.

I thought it was quite ordinary to do this. I am constantly trying to figure out what is on peoples' minds according to their behaviour, demeanor or expressions. I wonder where people grew up, where they live, what the inside of their house looks like, marital status, sexual orientation, what problems they have, what secrets they have - and it's almost as if I run through all of this in a split second, and I can't help it.
Surely it is absolutely human to do this?
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 19 Apr 2012, 17:27

Exactly ... I find this entire thread bizarre. To look at someone as if they're a cardboard cutout, and not care about what's behind the expression, seems to me more dysfunctional that "labelling" people as grumpy, soap-dodgers, or any of the other things someone listed back there.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

670 Recommends(s)
549 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 19 Apr 2012, 17:41

Super Hans wrote:
Steviebike in response to Superking wrote:Yes I'm English and yes I do actually. I'm by no means ordinary! I have a long running interest in what represents reality to people. I'm a closet philosopher. Taiwan, UK, USA, wherever, I like to observe, and the more details I can get, all the better to be honest.

I thought it was quite ordinary to do this. I am constantly trying to figure out what is on peoples' minds according to their behaviour, demeanor or expressions. I wonder where people grew up, where they live, what the inside of their house looks like, marital status, sexual orientation, what problems they have, what secrets they have - and it's almost as if I run through all of this in a split second, and I can't help it.

I just imagine what their tits look like.

This post was recommended by E04teacherlin (22 Apr 2012, 11:28)
Rating: 5.88%
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 19 Apr 2012, 18:11

Super Hans wrote:

But that is not grouping behaviour is it. Syllogistic statements such as All A are B are flawed logic. Of course it is natural to wonder what is on peoples minds. It's also natural to group people together. However, grouping behaviour is not helpful.

Complete the following:

All Frenchmen are wine drinkers,
Some of the wine drinkers are gourmets,
Some....

I'll tell you right now your answer will be wrong. Why? Because you used a grouping behaviour and combined it with an attitude.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking

ORIGINAL POSTER
65 Recommends(s)
271 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 19 Apr 2012, 18:14

I don't try to analyse cute girls i see on the MRT all too much nowadays. I jes wanna bang some of em :)

(or all of em)

But I do kinda wonder if they are Ktown girls or Taipei girls? (nah I don't do that)

And basically everyone else is invisible. Its all cool to theorize what some people could be with facial expressions and all that, but after a long while, it really doesnt really even matter.

Its fun tho.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
315 Recognized(s)

Postby E04teacherlin » 22 Apr 2012, 11:29

sandman wrote:
Super Hans wrote:

I just imagine what their tits look like.

A man who speaks the truth. I do the same, but not with the men.
E04teacherlin
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

81 Recommends(s)
43 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Feedback