I'm done with this site for a while - User experience is terrible

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Re: I'm done with this site for a while - User experience is terrible

Postby Dr. McCoy » 20 May 2012, 20:39

jimipresley wrote:
Dr. McCoy wrote:I always use the validation sites:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
and http://validator.w3.org/
for my stuff, but I just do really simple things.
I know how mike029 feels, I can't use the site at work.

Well, shouldn't you be working instead of surfing? No wonder foreigners get such a bad rep around here. :roll:

I'm a rebel.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 20 May 2012, 21:09

mike029 wrote:I can deal with people saying stupid crap, but I can't deal with people being stupid.

Are you refering to me? Unfortunately I got a very big skin so personal insults never work.

mike029 wrote:485 errors is not "a 485 error" it is "485 errors in the code".

Based on what? Some validator? Please be more precise.

mike029 wrote:I don't care if Forumosa makes money or not from Tapatalk. I still don't want to pay for it because someone is lazy and just wants to install a tapatalk extension and call it a day.

I don't get your point here. Nobody forces you to use Tapatalk. Its just supported, thats all. Can't help you with your money problems either.

mike029 wrote:The page jumps because of the link for google+. The button loads an arbitrary size for itself then after it loads the button graphic it readjusts its size, so the page "clicks" after the button loads. I told them to just set a size for the element holding the button so it won't "click" anymore and gave them the code months ago.
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 0&t=107883
Nobody does this site as a full time job. Issues (especially if cosmetic) easily get low priority or no priority at all. Thanks for pointing out the issue again.

mike029 wrote:My job is web and app design...of course I don't use Internet Explorer (except for when I have to test).

So you should understand the HTTPS issue easily and that Forumosa can not make all linked content as https.

mike029 wrote:As far as reproducing the db errors...the point is that they are random and frequent. Can't really recreate it.
OK. Take a screenshot next time.

mike029 wrote:I should not have to use a greasemonkey script or lower my browser security settings because nobody knows how to design or code properly.

Its just a suggestion if you don't like the formatting. Cause many people are fine with it.
For HTTPS I already explained the issue.

mike029 wrote:engerim, stop making stupid excuses and just admit the site has problems that can easily be fixed.

I wasn't making any excuses. If you could refrain from personal attacks while working out your problems it would be much easier.
Why should I do something for people that insult me? Sorry but I'm not stupid enough for that.
Forumosan avatar
engerim
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 20 May 2012, 21:16

Three pages and counting. That's a lot of replies for someone who's done with the site.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
76 Recommends(s)
293 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 20 May 2012, 21:20

There isn't any major site that doesn't show "errors" if you use those validators.
Even validating http://www.w3.org will give you 66 errors :lol:
The errors for Forumosa are many but many of them are repetitive errors, i.e. "Same colors for color and background-color in two context".
I guess the "parse errors" are the worst. Certainly the site is not clean. But thats not because of bad design but mainly due to it grew during the years.
If there are major issues (and the reporting person isn't behaving like a dick). I'm very happy to look into it. I'm just too busy in real life otherwise.

This post was recommended by 914 (20 May 2012, 21:53)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
engerim

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 20 May 2012, 21:24

Engirem's response just sealed the deal. It's not acceptable to insult your users, even if they are being rude to you. They aren't my problems, they are yours. Learn proper web design or hire someone that can. End of story. Add me to the massive list of people who shudder and scowl when they hear the word 'forumosa'.
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 20 May 2012, 21:26

Paying someone to get this site running better would be a good thing to do. Mike's analogy of the highway is good.

I like this site for what is brings people, but it really is rickety as hell. I know it's not anyones full-time job and everyone who moderates or runs the site seem swell to me.

But the site needs a major-ass re-haul THE WAY Mike is telling you to. It will benefit the site immensely and bring more joy to the world.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 20 May 2012, 21:30

mike029 wrote:Engirem's response just sealed the deal. It's not acceptable to insult your users, even if they are being rude to you.

Really? I learned if you run a business the nice thing is that you can choose your customers. Nobody insulted you, its you that calls people stupid. Good-bye then!
Forumosan avatar
engerim

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 20 May 2012, 21:35

jimipresley wrote:

Well, shouldn't you be working instead of surfing? No wonder foreigners get such a bad rep around here. :roll:

If you had to do what we have to do, you'll understand the need for a breather once in a while. If I could download stuff at work, I'd be moderator. :lol:

So, what do we need for the upgrade? Are we going to do a "one hundred nt march" to finance the upgrade? Now, are you technical guys sure you can fix this issue the way Mike proposes? Or is it going to be like going to the mechanic and not finding the right spares? Will everyone bear the necessary downtime for repairs or grumble the weeks it takes to fiddle with all the screws and polish the ends?
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

624 Recommends(s)
489 Recognized(s)

Postby goose egg » 20 May 2012, 22:31

Hi mike029 - I am sorry to hear about your frustrations with the website. A lot could certainly be done, and it's great that you have even offered code to fix it.

There is a lot of change in the works at Forumosa. Take that break and let's see if we can get you to come back then.
Click here to see the active topics

This post was recommended by Lo Pan (20 May 2012, 23:09)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
goose egg
Forumosa Admin

95 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 20 May 2012, 23:10

Maybe the site is microagressing you?

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: Confuzius (31 May 2012, 00:54), divea (20 May 2012, 23:43)
Rating: 11.76%
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

87 Recommends(s)
435 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Feedback