Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Anyone think there should be an ABC board?

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Anyone think there should be an ABC board?

Postby danger » 26 Jul 2012, 17:10

I know Forumosa has a specific women's forum. I feel like it would beneficial for there to be an ABC Forum as well since there's a significant number of us here I believe.

The reason for creating a separate board would be that while forumosa's current boards do address most issues for foreignors, ABC's do encounter issues that more obviously-foreign looking foreignors don't.

For instance - we get treated immensely different in terms of work - sometimes good, sometimes bad, but in any case the situation for an Asian looking foreigner in Taiwan is different enough that advice for white foreigners about work often simply does not apply to an ABC here.

In terms of relationships there's also significant difference as most ABCs I know would agree with.

In terms of cultural issues and culture shock there also differences.

I do like forumosa boards and I think they are a great resource for everybody - I just feel like they don't address ABC issues very often, and when they do it's not always in very helpful ways.
danger
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Anyone think there should be an ABC board?

Postby Mucha Man » 26 Jul 2012, 17:13

Sounds like a good idea, as long as it's not blocked from non-ABCs to read and comment.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

773 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 26 Jul 2012, 17:35

Eh, how about CaBC, AusBC, EUBCs, etc? Or us Overseas Chinese in general?
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

657 Recommends(s)
526 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 26 Jul 2012, 17:37

Icon wrote:...Or us Overseas Chinese in general?

You're an overseas Chinese?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

773 Recognized(s)

Postby Incubus » 26 Jul 2012, 17:39

Icon wrote:Eh, how about CaBC, AusBC, EUBCs, etc? Or us Overseas Chinese in general?

ABT, not ABC. Or overseas Taiwanese, if you really want to be PC. :wink:
Incubus
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

12 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 26 Jul 2012, 17:39

Muzha Man wrote:
Icon wrote:...Or us Overseas Chinese in general?

You're an overseas Chinese?

As per the law, sixth generation. Still, more Oversize Chinese, but soon will not.

Back to the OP, yes, the issues encountered are very particular. Maybe it would be helpful to gather a few threads that have addressed this matter, as a away to show the need.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

657 Recommends(s)
526 Recognized(s)

Postby GC Rider » 26 Jul 2012, 17:42

Icon wrote:Eh, how about CaBC, AusBC, EUBCs, etc? Or us Overseas Chinese in general?

I'd definitely support an ABC board. Should be interesting. But as Icon noted, the definition of ABC should be extended to include all overseas Chinese, ie people with Taiwanese parents who were born or who grew up outside of Taiwan.
GC Rider
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

23 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 26 Jul 2012, 17:42

I want a Belgian/Dutch forum ... there is a German forum! And while you're at it, do a men's forum that women are not allowed to read! :ohreally:

This post was recommended by tommy525 (27 Jul 2012, 02:17)
Rating: 4%
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

Postby GC Rider » 26 Jul 2012, 17:44

Belgian Pie wrote:I want a Belgian/Dutch forum ... there is a German forum!

Ach was! Belgian/Dutch is just a dialect of German. You can post in the German forum. :D
GC Rider

23 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby Amasashi » 26 Jul 2012, 18:48

Muzha Man wrote:Sounds like a good idea, as long as it's not blocked from non-ABCs to read and comment.

100% agree with this, especially the last part about it not being blocked like th Women's Forum.

In fact, I agree with this so much I'm going to start a thread regarding it!
Forumosan avatar
Amasashi
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Feedback