Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Late night kudos to MODS

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Late night kudos to MODS

Postby niaoahgin » 17 Aug 2012, 02:42

I want to extend my heartfelt appreciation to the administrators for your wisdom in balancing freedom of speech with the responsibility of maintaining the credibility and reputation of our community.

A rogue post, along the lines of "有些人" was appropriately removed in order to preserve the dignity and privacy of certain involved contributors, whether or not they consented to this censorship. The contents of the deleted thread contained a link to a popular Taiwanese tabloid, the contents of which would (by means of online search engines) lead curious readers to Forumosa as the first result. Details contained within the thread could have posed a threat to the individuals involved personally as well as the Forumosan community. While some information is still available though the "cache" function of Google, I believe that the timely response of our moderators saved embarrassment and unnecessary scrutiny for our members (particularly those who were victimized by the events depicted).

Members of the community notice and appreciate the tact and appropriate intervention of moderators, particularly where self-constrain is inhibited.

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: Icon (17 Aug 2012, 11:33), Toe Save (17 Aug 2012, 03:21)
Rating: 8%
niaoahgin
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
18 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Re: Late night kudos to MODS

Postby 914 » 17 Aug 2012, 09:29

Just to be clear that you are giving kudos to jimipresley and housecat, not 914, even though thethread was in my forum. I do not deserve the kudos given, I was actually already asleep when it all went down. If I had been up and was available to moderate, I would not have flamed thethread. Some pruning ofcolorful language, maybe. Im very liberal and neutral in my forums, but as most inthe know canunderstand, im a bit biased on this one.

That said, thank you to jp and hc for patrollong the forums when most mods are asleep. I can see why they wanted to flame the whole thread, even though i can not agree with it.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 17 Aug 2012, 10:08

niaoahgin wrote:I want to extend my heartfelt appreciation to the administrators for your wisdom in balancing freedom of speech with the responsibility of maintaining the credibility and reputation of our community.

A rogue post, along the lines of "有些人" was appropriately removed in order to preserve the dignity and privacy of certain involved contributors, whether or not they consented to this censorship. The contents of the deleted thread contained a link to a popular Taiwanese tabloid, the contents of which would (by means of online search engines) lead curious readers to Forumosa as the first result. Details contained within the thread could have posed a threat to the individuals involved personally as well as the Forumosan community. While some information is still available though the "cache" function of Google, I believe that the timely response of our moderators saved embarrassment and unnecessary scrutiny for our members (particularly those who were victimized by the events depicted).

Members of the community notice and appreciate the tact and appropriate intervention of moderators, particularly where self-constrain is inhibited.

Absolutely. :bravo:

Stellar work on everyone's part at making it all Just Go Away.
This is much neater and tidier.

How fortuitous for all involved that two vacant spots on the Granny bench were available. :thumbsup:

"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 17 Aug 2012, 11:11

I assume y'all are referring to the disappearance of the thread full of personal insults, attacks, outing of a poster and dredging up of private dirt for public viewing.

Damn. It was entertaining. I don't know anything about the guy and who screwed who or cheated on whom or lied about what, and it seemed blatantly wrong for it all to be up there on public display -- not just an egregious breach of forum rules but of common courtesy -- but I confess I found it somewhat amusing checking it out, like slowing down to inspect a fatal wreck on the side of the road.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 17 Aug 2012, 11:31

Mother Theresa wrote:I assume y'all are referring to the disappearance of the thread full of personal insults, attacks, outing of a poster and dredging up of private dirt for public viewing.

Damn. It was entertaining. I don't know anything about the guy and who screwed who or cheated on whom or lied about what, and it seemed blatantly wrong for it all to be up there on public display -- not just an egregious breach of forum rules but of common courtesy -- but I confess I found it somewhat amusing checking it out, like slowing down to inspect a fatal wreck on the side of the road.

If I could just intervene for a moment, the poster in question outed himself, quite willingly.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

74 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 17 Aug 2012, 11:48

irishstu wrote:
Mother Theresa wrote:I assume y'all are referring to the disappearance of the thread full of personal insults, attacks, outing of a poster and dredging up of private dirt for public viewing.

If I could just intervene for a moment, the poster in question outed himself, quite willingly.

Sort of, but not exactly. He did acknowledge that a link to a Chinese news article corresponded to his online identity (perhaps sensing that his outing was inevitable), but his true name was then posted repeatedly on this forum and all kinds of private, real-life allegations not mentioned in that article were posted publicly, and he was quickly stomped on by the angry mob. Maybe he coyly introduced himself, but the crowd tore off all his clothes and beat him to a bloody pulp.

I don't believe he willingly signed up for that public display of his private dirt.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson

This post was recommended by Tempo Gain (17 Aug 2012, 11:55)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 17 Aug 2012, 11:56

Mother Theresa wrote:
irishstu wrote:

Sort of, but not exactly. He did acknowledge that a link to a Chinese news article corresponded to his online identity (perhaps sensing that his outing was inevitable), but his true name was then posted repeatedly on this forum and all kinds of private, real-life allegations not mentioned in that article were posted publicly, and he was quickly stomped on by the angry mob. Maybe he coyly introduced himself, but the crowd tore off all his clothes and beat him to a bloody pulp.

Perhaps he IS a lying sack of shit. I have no idea. But I don't believe he willingly signed up for that public display of his private dirt.

I'm sorry, but how is him saying "that person in the news article is me", "not exactly" him outing himself? And once he outed himself, was it not fair to use his name? I think it was. After all, the posters who used his name were referring to the guy in the news article, where his name is stated.

I'm not arguing the other bits about the personal insults and attacks. He definitely received plenty of those.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

74 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 17 Aug 2012, 12:02

I agree with Omni. That thread should have been allowed to continue. If anything it provided the poster in question a chance to post his youtube video and his side of the story (I have to say I rather like both of the people involved but only met either of them very, very briefly), as well as the entertaining posts against him.

Forumosa is the mob/gladiator arena. If it is going to try and compete on being the site of moral righteousness (however unevenly applied), it will lose to the other site. Let it be the site of free speech and non-Stasi tactics.
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

110 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 17 Aug 2012, 12:10

Holy moley, I can't believe you guys disappeared that post!!

This is some seriously Brazil-type shit, man.... :no-no:
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.

This post was recommended by ChewDawg (17 Aug 2012, 12:15)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
the chief

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 17 Aug 2012, 12:11

Stu you're right that he did out himself, and up to a point was participating willingly in the discussion, which is why it continued as long as it did. It reached a point last night though where I felt his rights as a site member needed to be protected.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

303 Recommends(s)
303 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Feedback