You haven't been here long enough to post in this thread

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

You haven't been here long enough to post in this thread

Postby RobinTaiwan » 09 Oct 2010, 00:01

From a different thread.

Maoman wrote:*Don't post if you haven't been on the boards since at least 2008, and been in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Feel free to start a "newbies recommends" thread if you want.
*Post once. If you want to make more additions, edit your post.
*Recommend any places or businesses in Taiwan that you like; if it's a restaurant please mention the specific dishes that you recommend.
*Please link to the places that you're discussing, or the relevant thread on Forumosa, if any.
*If you want to discuss or ask questions about any of the recommendations, we can start a new thread for that purpose.
*No negative reviews, please. This is just for recommendations.
*Multiple posts, off-topic replies, and replies from people who have registered after 2008 will be split off and removed to the temp forum.


I, like many others, have been living in Taiwan for over a decade but I'm not allowed to offer recommendations based on my joining date on forumosa.

In my honest opinion, these posting rules are too exclusive. :raspberry: Such segregation isn't needed nor helpful. :no-no:
Spring would be something else if winter was as white as it is made out to be.
Forumosan avatar
RobinTaiwan
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
 
Posts: 1457
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 01 Dec 2009, 16:12
2 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: You haven't been here long enough to post in this thread

Postby maoman » 09 Oct 2010, 00:20

RobinTaiwan wrote:From a different thread.

Maoman wrote:*Don't post if you haven't been on the boards since at least 2008, and been in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Feel free to start a "newbies recommends" thread if you want.
*Post once. If you want to make more additions, edit your post.
*Recommend any places or businesses in Taiwan that you like; if it's a restaurant please mention the specific dishes that you recommend.
*Please link to the places that you're discussing, or the relevant thread on Forumosa, if any.
*If you want to discuss or ask questions about any of the recommendations, we can start a new thread for that purpose.
*No negative reviews, please. This is just for recommendations.
*Multiple posts, off-topic replies, and replies from people who have registered after 2008 will be split off and removed to the temp forum.


I, like many others, have been living in Taiwan for over a decade but I'm not allowed to offer recommendations based on my joining date on forumosa.

In my honest opinion, these posting rules are too exclusive. :raspberry: Such segregation isn't needed nor helpful. :no-no:

Thanks for the feedback, Rob. How about I change it to: "*Don't post if you haven't been in Taiwan for at least 5 years."
I really don't want to exclude old-timers who are newer to the boards. I should have thought the parameters through a little better. I'll make the change now.
Image
Forumosan avatar
maoman
 
Posts: 12290
Joined: 15 Sep 1999, 16:01
Location: Lotus Hill
76 Recommends(s)
43 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: You haven't been here long enough to post in this thread

Postby tcarnagan » 09 Oct 2010, 03:06

*Don't post if you haven't been on the boards since at least 2008, and been in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Feel free to start a "newbies recommends" thread if you want.


==So what you are saying is that you don't know what is 'good' or 'recommendable' until you have lived in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Interesting.............sounds like a major case of Chinese logic.
The more people I meet the more I love my dog.
Forumosan avatar
tcarnagan
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 136
Joined: 31 Aug 2009, 19:58
Location: Banciao, Taiwan
4 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: You haven't been here long enough to post in this thread

Postby MilkTeaJack » 09 Oct 2010, 08:46

Hear, hear! I am super experienced b/c I've been on the forum for like...forever. So I know all about how crappy buxiban life and customer service is in Taiwan and my favorite restaurants are the ones with the banner ads!

OK, 5 year residency rule works for me. But as the n00b, I will post my "new arrivals recommendations":

I totally love the breakfast dumpling place that is behind CKS Memorial Hall. Its on HangZhou Rd between Ai Guo and Xinyi. They sell the dumplings in front of their shop and there is always a line. The cabbage dumpling is best with a little hot sauce. The place empties out around 10 or 11 so you have to hustle!

(PS the lady that sells the sweet pork buns up the road from the breakfast place is smoking hot! What is she doing selling that crap in the morning when she could be anywhere in the world walking runways or telling her sugar daddy what to do?)
twitter: jackge

Do right by yourself, you'll do right for others.
Do right by others, you'll do right for yourself.
Then on your final day of reckoning, there'll be no blame for living the life you lived.
Forumosan avatar
MilkTeaJack
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
 
Posts: 461
Joined: 20 Aug 2009, 13:23
Location: Somewhere in Asia
2 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: You haven't been here long enough to post in this thread

Postby redwagon » 09 Oct 2010, 09:02

tcarnagan wrote:
*Don't post if you haven't been on the boards since at least 2008, and been in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Feel free to start a "newbies recommends" thread if you want.


==So what you are saying is that you don't know what is 'good' or 'recommendable' until you have lived in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Interesting.............sounds like a major case of Chinese logic.

What n00bs think is of merely passing interest to me. It's amusing sometimes to hear what they think of this or that. I would never go eat at a restaurant or make a travel plan based on the opinions of a relatively new arrival. Yes, you may like the food and it may be that I'd like it too, but I'm more likely to follow advice from one who's eaten at 1,000 noodle places rather than 5 or 6. I might miss some good advice by filtering out n00bs I don't even know, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. As a newcomer anywhere I don't expect anyone to place any importance on my subjective opinions of my new environment.
Signature censored.
redwagon
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
 
Posts: 6341
Joined: 04 Jun 2001, 16:01
Location: Exile
1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: You haven't been here long enough to post in this thread

Postby TheGingerMan » 09 Oct 2010, 09:07

That logic works both ways. Relative newcomers might have a fresh take on certain establishments, and cagey veterans might have had certain habitual venues become ingrained. Familiarity does not necessarily lend itself to objective measurements of quality.
To suggest otherwise only reinforces the perception that this site is dominated by a cliquish cabal.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974


"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
 
Posts: 7708
Joined: 29 Aug 2005, 00:38
Location: The Thin Edge Of The Wedge
3 Recommends(s)
216 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: You haven't been here long enough to post in this thread

Postby redwagon » 09 Oct 2010, 09:37

TheGingerMan wrote:That logic works both ways. Relative newcomers might have a fresh take on certain establishments, and cagey veterans might have had certain habitual venues become ingrained. Familiarity does not necessarily lend itself to objective measurements of quality.
To suggest otherwise only reinforces the perception that this site is dominated by a cliquish cabal.

True, but time isn't limitless and so I tend to filter out advice from people with less experience on whatever topic and even those I plain don't like. Doesn't everyone do this? Unique ideas and fresh perspectives go unnoticed in a flood of mindless chatter everyday. This is the way of the world.
Signature censored.
redwagon
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
 
Posts: 6341
Joined: 04 Jun 2001, 16:01
Location: Exile
1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: You haven't been here long enough to post in this thread

Postby Dragonbones » 09 Oct 2010, 10:52

I'll usually only take advice on which guitar strings to try from someone who's got some serious calluses, but if I had been here three years and had searched high and low for every art supply shop, I'd probably bristle at the suggestion that my input on art shops was less valuable than 5-year vets who don't paint.

If people want to be able to discriminate between advice based on the poster's experience, there are several ways to achieve that:

1. Know who's been around, because you know them or can see their start date.
2. Segregate by thread, as Maoman did this time.
3. Ask that people begin their post by identifying how long they've been in Taiwan.

I think #3 is a friendlier and more inclusive way to accomplish the goal.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, & cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients, as well as many of those ingredients themselves, at our shop in Donghu (Neihu). Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 20175
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 14:42
Location: Taibei, Taiwan
38 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: You haven't been here long enough to post in this thread

Postby RobinTaiwan » 09 Oct 2010, 12:38

maoman wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Rob. How about I change it to: "*Don't post if you haven't been in Taiwan for at least 5 years."


OK, I think I can stop pouting now. :wink: :thumbsup:
Spring would be something else if winter was as white as it is made out to be.
Forumosan avatar
RobinTaiwan
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
 
Posts: 1457
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 01 Dec 2009, 16:12
2 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: You haven't been here long enough to post in this thread

Postby JuliaZ » 09 Oct 2010, 16:54

redwagon wrote:
tcarnagan wrote:
*Don't post if you haven't been on the boards since at least 2008, and been in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Feel free to start a "newbies recommends" thread if you want.


==So what you are saying is that you don't know what is 'good' or 'recommendable' until you have lived in Taiwan for at least 5 years. Interesting.............sounds like a major case of Chinese logic.

What n00bs think is of merely passing interest to me. It's amusing sometimes to hear what they think of this or that. I would never go eat at a restaurant or make a travel plan based on the opinions of a relatively new arrival. Yes, you may like the food and it may be that I'd like it too, but I'm more likely to follow advice from one who's eaten at 1,000 noodle places rather than 5 or 6. I might miss some good advice by filtering out n00bs I don't even know, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. As a newcomer anywhere I don't expect anyone to place any importance on my subjective opinions of my new environment.

I do think what n00bs have to say about restaurants purporting to offer non-Chinese/Taiwanese/Asian cuisine might be of interest here.

For instance, none of the four Italian places I went to in Taipei last month offered anything resembling the cuisine of northern Italy, nor did they have the New York, Chicago, New Jersey, Washington, DC, Seattle, or Boston takes on Italian cuisine. (One of them did have good pizza that was exactly like France's take on Italian food). If you eat at these places and think you're getting "Italian" food -- well, no. It was interesting to eat, some of it was tasty, and some of it was value-priced, but none of it was authentic. And I can see that after 5+ years of Asian-Italian food, it is possible to forget what real Italian food is like.

Similarly, 1885 burger was good but the food there has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Albany, NY's cuisine.

I can also state that what Burger Stop is offering is a proper American burger. However, Chris has bowed to Taipei culture in one way that would be very frustrating to most Americans... toppings are OPTIONAL in the U.S. -- nobody thinks anything is odd at all about ordering a burger with no sauce, no tomato, extra lettuce, extra pickles, or whatever. Chris humored me when I asked for "plain and dry" -- only meat, bread, and cheese -- but clearly, that was a total oddball order and annoying to his staff. As long as Chris will tolerate the occasional pain-in-the-ass American with a "special order", I'd call it good. How would you know if it's a real American burger if you've been in Taiwan for 10 years?

I will agree, and can confirm, that the McDonald's food here is proper McDonald's food... in Taipei, Seattle, Portland, etc. It is truly the same everywhere. Whether that's good or bad.... :lol:

P.S. I am really grateful to all the old-timers for all they post and for putting up with all the dumb n00b questions. I'm a "senior fellow" of several online communities and I do the same thing there, answering variants of the same 10 questions over and over again, in one case for 14 years now. But I have to remind myself periodically to not assume that new people know nothing... I might miss something good, and sometimes new people are a breath of fresh air after you've had the same stale arguments with the long-timers ten or more times. (Of course, that never happens here.....)
Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't.
Richard Bach
---------- in Bellevue for now, back in Xindian Nov 7....
Forumosan avatar
JuliaZ
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 226
Joined: 09 Sep 2010, 19:21
Location: Pacific Northwest USA/Xindian, Taipei

6000

Next




Return to Feedback



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 visitor

If you're traveling overseas, do yourself a favor and bring a pen. You would not believe how many people travel without one, and you need one to fill out the immigration forms. I carry some, but I can’t carry 200.
From "13 Things Your Flight Attendant Won't Tell You"