Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

How Popular is Tutoring Small GEPT Classes?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

What is the most popular GEPT level for young children/teenagers?

Elementary
100%
Intermediate
No votes

Total votes : 2

How Popular is Tutoring Small GEPT Classes?

Postby SillyWilly » 21 Apr 2012, 21:00

Looking to get into the GEPT tutoring business. Checked other threads but couldn't find much information.

If anyone has experience teaching GEPT in small groups of max 6, please share.

How easy or difficult is it to get students to tutor privately?

What do you charge per student?

Which segment of the market - elementary, intermediate, or advanced - is the most popular in your experience?

Thanks!
Forumosan avatar
SillyWilly
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Re: How Popular is Tutoring Small GEPT Classes?

Postby Charlie Jack » 28 Apr 2012, 15:16

I haven't been able to find an original source for this, but I'm pretty sure that children under twelve aren't permitted to take the GEPT. Here is some indirect support for that opinion:

On February 16, 2005, Feiren wrote:The China Times is reporting that a panel of experts and Language Training and Testing Center staff have decided that childen under 12 will no longer be allowed to take the General English Proficiency Test.
http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph ... 60#p301560

As far as I can tell by using Google Translate, this Chinese-language webpage dated June 28, 2005, says about the same thing Feiren said: http://www.english.com.tw/modules/news/ ... toryid=518
When things go well for days on end, it is an hilarious accident.
--Kurt Vonnegut, letter to his daughter Nannette
Charlie Jack
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

1143 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 29 Apr 2012, 00:30

I heard something recently about some other standardized test for younger children. No details though I'm afraid, but maybe connected.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

304 Recommends(s)
303 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 29 Apr 2012, 08:05

Tempo Gain wrote:I heard something recently about some other standardized test for younger children. No details though I'm afraid, but maybe connected.

A Taiwanese version of Cambridge Young Learners? Strewth! Why do the Taiwanese fall for these money-spinning scams? Why would anyone want to take an exam that isn't internationally recognised when they could take a better produced version of the same thing that is? Why would any respectable government support such a thing, unless there were some serious backhanders involved? I can't believe that they're trying to pull that stunt. It's worse than the chain cram schools producing their own tests. At least we can clearly see that they are private businesses only in it for profit.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby heimuoshu » 30 Apr 2012, 17:13

Well other than the Cambrdige YLE, there is STYLE (Saxonccourt Test for Young Learners of English) which is produced by the same organization that owns Shane, yet Shane does Cambridge. :D
There is also the Anglia Young Learners and the Pearson Test for Young Learners, which is the newest of the lot.
There is an organization here in Taiwan that used to be a Cambridge Test Centre, but had their licence revoke due to some ...issues, and now they have developed their own YLE test which they claim is internationally recognised. :loco:
Even if a young kid is at a solid intermediate level, they should not be submitted to the torture of GEPT. YLE or Cambrdige Main Suite for Schools is way better.
heimuoshu
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

6 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 30 Apr 2012, 18:24

Even better is the Giraffe English Proficiency Test (can you see what they did there?). Pathetically funny on so many levels.
tomthorne

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan