Time in Taiwan, Tax and teaching

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Time in Taiwan, Tax and teaching

Postby Distressed » 05 May 2012, 16:56

I am a teacher in a public school in Taiwan. I have a low tax rate now - about 5% - and I have been told that in order to keep that low tax rate that I have to stay in Taiwan for 183 days during the contracted time in 2012, i.e. 1/1 to (about) 7/15 I have been told by some people that that opinion is not correct, that if I continue to stay in TW after the date of my contract, I can count those days also...can someone explain this to me in simple terms? How/when is the 183 days (or whatever) calculated?

My main concern: I would like to to go Shanghai to attend a graduation of some students that I taught in 2009. It is almost impossible to get an early flight out of TW. Getting a late flight out the night before is the only way...

??
Distressed
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
In Taiwan since: 01 Jan 2012

Re: Time in Taiwan, Tax and teaching

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 05 May 2012, 20:26

Check out the tax forum, there's a sticky on the resident taxrate stuff.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby afterspivak » 05 May 2012, 21:57

The key issue with taxation is the amount of days you spend in Taiwan during the taxation year: 1 January to 31 December of the relevant year. If you have the magic 183 days, then you will be taxed on a progressive scale; if you don't, then you will be taxed at a much less favorable flat rate (I believe it's 20%--though thankfully I have not dealt with this since my first year in Taiwan).

I hope this helps.

Guy
afterspivak
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

113 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby Distressed » 05 May 2012, 23:44

My contract is Jan 1 to July 15..more than 183 days...but I had to leave the country for a couple of weeks...so I think I am short. I am going to be hired again for next year...does that make any difference?
Distressed

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Abacus » 06 May 2012, 01:49

Distressed wrote:My contract is Jan 1 to July 15..more than 183 days...but I had to leave the country for a couple of weeks...so I think I am short. I am going to be hired again for next year...does that make any difference?

You're ok. they count the total number of days during the year (1/1 to 12/31) regardless if you are on a contract or not.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

133 Recommends(s)
137 Recognized(s)

Postby Distressed » 06 May 2012, 07:07

Phew! :bravo:

Abacus wrote:
Distressed wrote:My contract is Jan 1 to July 15..more than 183 days...but I had to leave the country for a couple of weeks...so I think I am short. I am going to be hired again for next year...does that make any difference?

You're ok. they count the total number of days during the year (1/1 to 12/31) regardless if you are on a contract or not.
Distressed

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan