entering Taiwan on a one-way ticket to teach English

Moderator: Tempo Gain

entering Taiwan on a one-way ticket to teach English

Postby rugged_edge » 01 Jun 2012, 05:36

Hi,

I am an American citizen planning to move to Taiwan in August 2012. I will be leaving America in late July, stopping in Europe for a couple weeks to visit friends, then making my way to Taipei in early August. Originally I planned to secure an English teaching position before departing the US, but from what I understand, it can be much easier to find work in person. Therefore I plan to look for work after arriving in Taiwan. As I will have a one-way ticket to Taiwan, I'm not sure if I will be able to get a visitor visa, which will extend my stay longer than 30 days (no visa needed with US passport up to 30 days) to look for work. For those of you that have gone this route, what are my options? Once a position is secured, how long does it take to get a resident visa/ARC/etc.? Should I not worry about getting a visitor visa before arrival in Taiwan? Any advice or recommendations on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Steve
rugged_edge
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: entering Taiwan on a one-way ticket to teach English

Postby CraigTPE » 01 Jun 2012, 06:08

You can search the forum for several threads on traveling on a one-way ticket.

Basically the rule says you can not, unless you are a resident. Whether the rule is enforced is a crap shoot. Airline is more likely to enforce it than the immigration officer upon arrival, should you make it this far.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Puppet » 01 Jun 2012, 11:25

Another thing to consider....
If you come on a 30 day landing Visa, you'd have to leave the country anyway. Those have no extensions and they cannot be changed to any other type of Visa.
Forumosan avatar
Puppet
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

60 Recommends(s)
32 Recognized(s)

Postby stephlee » 02 Jun 2012, 00:31

I came to Taiwan with a one-way ticket, landed last week. Just starting to look for teaching opportunities now, so I'll get back to you on it.

However, 30 days is cutting it pretty close no matter how you look at it, probably better to be safe than to have to buy another round trip ticket. I got the 60 day visa and am applying for an extension of 6 months, and hopefully by that point I will have a resident visa. At the airport, when I was checking in, I was asked about not having a round trip ticket but I said I knew and they didn't really pursue the matter. That being said, I am probably a different case since both of my parents have recently moved (back) to Taiwan and have reclaimed their citizenship, so it was easier to apply for a visa without a round trip ticket.
stephlee

In Taiwan since: 22 May 2012

Postby Confuzius » 02 Jun 2012, 01:06

rugged_edge wrote:Hi,

I am an American citizen planning to move to Taiwan in August 2012. I will be leaving America in late July, stopping in Europe for a couple weeks to visit friends, then making my way to Taipei in early August. Originally I planned to secure an English teaching position before departing the US, but from what I understand, it can be much easier to find work in person. Therefore I plan to look for work after arriving in Taiwan. As I will have a one-way ticket to Taiwan, I'm not sure if I will be able to get a visitor visa, which will extend my stay longer than 30 days (no visa needed with US passport up to 30 days) to look for work. For those of you that have gone this route, what are my options? Once a position is secured, how long does it take to get a resident visa/ARC/etc.? Should I not worry about getting a visitor visa before arrival in Taiwan? Any advice or recommendations on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

SEARCH is your friend!

This is the third time this question has been asked this week.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan