Is working 7 days a week crazy? How many people are doing it?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Is working 7 days a week crazy? How many people are doing it?

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 25 Oct 2011, 22:03

Hello! I am Whole Lotta Lotta. I am currently working multiple part time jobs. One of my jobs asked me if I would like to work some hours on Sunday. I happen to like this manager and have had a good time teaching adults at her school during the week. She recently offered me a class on Sunday and I accepted. Bye Bye weekends. I will be working my nuts off in the coming months but making money. I have some questions about this:
1. How many other people are doing it?
2. Of those of you who are doing it, how do you manage it?
3. How do I handle it if I should happen to catch a cold on Saturday night and am not able to come in on Sunday?
4. Is working 7 days a week really worth the extra money?

I would like to get other people's opinions on these matters :bow: .
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Re: Is working 7 days a week crazy? How many people are doing it?

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 25 Oct 2011, 22:23

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:Hello! I am Whole Lotta Lotta. I am currently working multiple part time jobs. One of my jobs asked me if I would like to work some hours on Sunday. I happen to like this manager and have had a good time teaching adults at her school during the week. She recently offered me a class on Sunday and I accepted. Bye Bye weekends. I will be working my nuts off in the coming months but making money. I have some questions about this:
1. How many other people are doing it?
2. Of those of you who are doing it, how do you manage it?
3. How do I handle it if I should happen to catch a cold on Saturday night and am not able to come in on Sunday?
4. Is working 7 days a week really worth the extra money?

I would like to get other people's opinions on these matters :bow: .

I used to work two jobs seven days a week (M-F 9-5 day job and then 11PM to 7AM night job alternating nights) and you can save a shitload, mostly because you don't have any time to spend it. After a few months you'll be TIRED, though. And if you have an established social circle it's going to suck when all your friends are going out and you can't (you weren't serious when you were talking about being so irresponsible as to go and get smashed and then skip work due to hangover, were you?)

I started to get wiped out after two or three months though. I wouldn't advise it, either; it's lovely to be able to wake up and realise you have nothing to do aaaaaaaaaalll day.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 25 Oct 2011, 22:39

I don't teach but I do go months where I work every day. Did a stretch last year almost 9 months with only 2 days off. Not healthy even if like me you are still getting plenty of exercise and eating right.

I wouldn't teach 7 days a week as you are very likely to run yourself down which means you will start to take time off for sickness and lethargy.

If it's just for the short term and you need the money then do it. But be organized. Hard routines can sap your will or they can focus your mind. Try for the latter. I know a very simple self-hypnoses technique you can pick up immediately that is great for relaxation and focus.

Eat right. Exercise. Always remember these are not options.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

841 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 25 Oct 2011, 22:56

Muzha Man wrote:I don't teach but I do go months where I work every day. Did a stretch last year almost 9 months with only 2 days off. Not healthy even if like me you are still getting plenty of exercise and eating right.

I wouldn't teach 7 days a week as you are very likely to run yourself down which means you will start to take time off for sickness and lethargy.

If it's just for the short term and you need the money then do it. But be organized. Hard routines can sap your will or they can focus your mind. Try for the latter. I know a very simple self-hypnoses technique you can pick up immediately that is great for relaxation and focus.

Eat right. Exercise. Always remember these are not options.

This is wonderful advice. Can you elaborate on the hypnosis?

Exercise...... @.@;;
tsukinodeynatsu

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Oro » 25 Oct 2011, 23:01

seems to me total hours worked is much more important than how many days you are working..

if you worke 25 hours over 7 days then what's the big deal? it's still a normal work load.

if you work 40 hours over 5 days it's much crazier..
Oro
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby creztor » 25 Oct 2011, 23:29

Whole Lotta Lotta, Oro raises a good point above about how many actual hours you are working. However, and I think this is the biggest problem with working 7 days a week regardless of the hours, is the issue of waking up every morning and knowing that weekends no longer exist. That alone is an absolute huge downer for me. The upside is that time passes VERY quickly. For the first six months I was enrolled in four classes, 12 hours attendance plus required readings and additional "crap", with about 22 hours of actual time teaching. In total that only adds up to 36 hours of class and work time, which is still less than the 40 hour slog people usually do back "home". Your job requirements also play a large part. Can you just turn up, throw the sticky ball and go home without having to worry about homework or other mundane crap that will suck even more time out of your hectic week? If so, then it will make things much easier.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby Tomas » 25 Oct 2011, 23:36

Oro wrote:seems to me total hours worked is much more important than how many days you are working..

if you worke 25 hours over 7 days then what's the big deal? it's still a normal work load.

if you work 40 hours over 5 days it's much crazier..

Yep. It's all relative.

But I do think a person needs at least one a day off a week in order to maintain health and sanity. I love the work I do, but if I did it 7 days a week I wouldn't be very effective on any day of the week.
Come on baby, you know you my home slice.
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

148 Recommends(s)
170 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 25 Oct 2011, 23:39

Sunday: 4 hours of private tutoring (2 different people)
Monday: Buxiban 2-4:30, Buxiban II 5:30-8:30
Tuesday: Buxiban II 6-8pm
Wednesday: Buxiban II 9-11:30am, Buxiban I 1-6:30, Tutoring 7-9pm (A full 12 hour day.)
Thursday: Buxiban I 2-5pm
Friday: Buxiban II 9-11:00am, Buxiban I 1-6:30/7pm
Saturday: Tutoring 9-5pm

And I've been here a total of 9 weeks. Image
I think I'm gonna die.
However, my schedule should be changing soon. More hours, but more block times and less buxiban which is a great thing.

I handle it by... well, if you'd read my posts you can see there is a pattern of needing my coffee to be absolutely perfect and STRONG.
I don't catch colds. I did my partying in high school. Now I go out and enjoy a few beers/gin and tonics and conversation. Or meals.
The extra money right now, since I'm fresh off the boat is really helpful and necessary. I still have to pay myself back for plane tickets, visa apps (which for Americans is $140usd each), all those move-in expenses, etc.
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 26 Oct 2011, 00:17

Lili is so my heroine. To max yourself out work-wise so quickly :eek: . That is a sure sign of not being a newby.

I've worked 7 days a week during many periods of my working life in Taiwan. I wouldn't recommend it, but it is good financially. The main problem is that even if you are only working two hours in a day you can never switch off. It's the switch off that you really need.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 26 Oct 2011, 00:28

I've done it, but I've never liked it. In addition to my five-day workweek, I also do freelance work, which I often have to do on weekends (but I do it on my own time, so the schedule's flexible).

Yes, it gets very draining after a while, and I end up yearning for one day, just one day off.
And it can take a toll on your health, too.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

91 Recommends(s)
203 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan