Is working 7 days a week crazy? How many people are doing it?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Is working 7 days a week crazy? How many people are doing it?

Postby Lili » 26 Oct 2011, 00:33

tomthorne wrote:Lili is so my heroine. To max yourself out work-wise so quickly :eek: . That is a sure sign of not being a newby.

I've worked 7 days a week during many periods of my working life in Taiwan. I wouldn't recommend it, but it is good financially. The main problem is that even if you are only working two hours in a day you can never switch off. It's the switch off that you really need.

Yes, I completely understand this. Which is why I'm changing my hours and place of employment. More 9-5'ers, less two hours a day (cause that REALLY sucks). I'm hoping for 2 days off, Sunday and Tuesday. Hopefully by two weeks time *fingers crossed* I just piled on the hours to see what I liked, didn't like, what si working schedule wise... testing the waters I guess.

And I'm completely used to working 30+hrs a week. Been doing it for years in NY, even with undergrad.
The problem here is that the buxiban teaching is killing me. I want to stab my eyes out repeatedly. And to watch that clock tick by at slow-mo speed.... I'm gonna go insane. But my tutoring is really awesome.
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 26 Oct 2011, 00:35

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:This is wonderful advice. Can you elaborate on the hypnosis?

You can do this anytime, walking, sitting, on the bus or train. The great thing is you need an environment with sounds and other sensory inputs.

First, close your eyes and tell yourself you are going to perform self-hypnoses for a certain period of time: five minutes is usually good. Then tell yourself what you hope to achieve: relaxation, better focus are all good goals.

Then open your eyes and focus on something. Describe it briefly in your mind: a bottle of green Asahi beer; a cheap fluorescent light; a wooden letter B on wheels. It can be anything in your environment and the better your describe it (in a few words) the better. Don't just say light when you can say a round pink lampcover with two dead cockroaches inside.

This should only take a couple seconds btw.

Then focus on something else. And again (for three objects).

Now do the same but with listening (ie, listen to 3 things and say what they are in your mind).

Now feel 3 things: could be the wind; could be an aching back; could be your hand on your thigh.

Now go back to looking at things but this time only look at two things (and say what they are of course. Then listen to two things. And feel two things. It doesn't matter if some of them are the same as the first round.

Now do the same but look, listen and feel one thing.

Now close your eyes and do the above steps but this time imagine 3 sights/sounds/sensations; then two; then one.

Usually by the 2nd round of imagining I am deeply in a hypnotic state though I pass in and out.

In essence a hypnotic state is a state of relaxed concentration. It is the state when you are really into a book or activity and time flies by.

After the last bit of imagining just stay relaxed and focus for a bit and then open your eyes. You will likely feel very relaxed and focused.

It's a lovely way to unwind and focus and is so simple to do. Unlike meditation this doesn't require great practise. You'll feel it the first time.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

703 Recognized(s)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 26 Oct 2011, 00:53

Lili wrote:Sunday: 4 hours of private tutoring (2 different people)
Monday: Buxiban 2-4:30, Buxiban II 5:30-8:30
Tuesday: Buxiban II 6-8pm
Wednesday: Buxiban II 9-11:30am, Buxiban I 1-6:30, Tutoring 7-9pm (A full 12 hour day.)
Thursday: Buxiban I 2-5pm
Friday: Buxiban II 9-11:00am, Buxiban I 1-6:30/7pm
Saturday: Tutoring 9-5pm

And I've been here a total of 9 weeks. Image
I think I'm gonna die.
However, my schedule should be changing soon. More hours, but more block times and less buxiban which is a great thing.

I handle it by... well, if you'd read my posts you can see there is a pattern of needing my coffee to be absolutely perfect and STRONG.
I don't catch colds. I did my partying in high school. Now I go out and enjoy a few beers/gin and tonics and conversation. Or meals.
The extra money right now, since I'm fresh off the boat is really helpful and necessary. I still have to pay myself back for plane tickets, visa apps (which for Americans is $140usd each), all those move-in expenses, etc.

Lili. You are doing about what I am going to be doing :eek: . What brand of coffee do you drink and how strong?
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 26 Oct 2011, 08:22

Lili wrote:
tomthorne wrote:Lili is so my heroine. To max yourself out work-wise so quickly :eek: . That is a sure sign of not being a newby.

I've worked 7 days a week during many periods of my working life in Taiwan. I wouldn't recommend it, but it is good financially. The main problem is that even if you are only working two hours in a day you can never switch off. It's the switch off that you really need.

Yes, I completely understand this. Which is why I'm changing my hours and place of employment. More 9-5'ers, less two hours a day (cause that REALLY sucks). I'm hoping for 2 days off, Sunday and Tuesday. Hopefully by two weeks time *fingers crossed* I just piled on the hours to see what I liked, didn't like, what si working schedule wise... testing the waters I guess.

And I'm completely used to working 30+hrs a week. Been doing it for years in NY, even with undergrad.
The problem here is that the buxiban teaching is killing me. I want to stab my eyes out repeatedly. And to watch that clock tick by at slow-mo speed.... I'm gonna go insane. But my tutoring is really awesome.

Of course - it's how to max out your income. Take everything that comes your way then start to cherry pick the best gigs (which aren't necessarily the best hourly rate - block hours, mininal hassle, location etc are more important). Hard work at first but worth it in the end.

If you're finding the 7-12 year olds a tad tiresome you might want to try the adult buxibans around Taipei Main Station. Don't sell yourself short, though. I think that, as a point of principle, no westerner should teach adults for less than 700 an hour. Gives the bosses ideas.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 26 Oct 2011, 09:35

Lili wrote:The extra money right now, since I'm fresh off the boat is really helpful and necessary.

I did it when I first arrived as well. Try doing it after teaching here for a decade. Impossible.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey

31 Recognized(s)

Postby naijeru » 26 Oct 2011, 09:58

Oro wrote:seems to me total hours worked is much more important than how many days you are working..

if you worke 25 hours over 7 days then what's the big deal? it's still a normal work load.

if you work 40 hours over 5 days it's much crazier..

I'd take 40 hour for 5 days over 25 hours for 7 days any, uh, day of the week. Like creztor said, going to be and waking up and knowing you must be somewhere that day is awful. I did a couple of 3 - 4 week stretches working 7 days on occasion. As has been said it's a great focus for the mind and you can save a lot of cash. But that kind of schedule diminishes in value very quickly. At the end of one stretch I remember preparing for a class when suddenly all the letters in the textbook turned to gobbledy-gook. Fortunately my co-teacher was a sweetheart and I was able to leave the class with her while i got some much needed rest.
Forumosan avatar
naijeru
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 26 Oct 2011, 10:05

naijeru wrote:I'd take 40 hour for 5 days over 25 hours for 7 days any, uh, day of the week.

Absolutely. Teach as much as you can Monday to Friday. You need a few days off to recharge.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey

31 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 26 Oct 2011, 10:26

funkymonkey wrote:
naijeru wrote:I'd take 40 hour for 5 days over 25 hours for 7 days any, uh, day of the week.

Absolutely. Teach as much as you can Monday to Friday. You need a few days off to recharge.

Unless teaching is your passion (ie you do it for love, money is secondary), then you need time off for life.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

182 Recommends(s)
183 Recognized(s)

Postby Wynsen » 26 Oct 2011, 12:39

Lili wrote:

Lili, may I ask what's so bad about buxibans? My plane lands in Taipei on 11-17, I'll be hitting the pavement hardcore. Unless, by some miracle I'm offered that 1100/hr job in Linkou :pray: ... yeah right. LOL I have 0 experience and a complete TEFL noob.
Hey don't poke my fat. My av? No, that's not me. That's just some gangsta Mongorians.
Forumosan avatar
Wynsen
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

2 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 26 Oct 2011, 13:15

I was working a five and a half day work week when I arrived in Taiwan in 2003. Saturday mornings at Joy did my head in, so I quit. Then I worked 2 - 6.30pm Monday to Friday at an anxinban, with two 100 minute privates on Monday and Thursday evenings - that was perfect and I saved nicely. ALWAYS had weekends free - lovely!

Here in Xiamen I work Wednesday to Friday at the university and two to three weekends/month of IELTS examining. That's about right, in terms of how much I want to work, but I wouldn't mind maybe three hours/week more (of privates, no children).

Seven days a week? Never!
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan