Is working 7 days a week crazy? How many people are doing it?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Is working 7 days a week crazy? How many people are doing it?

Postby Indiana » 26 Oct 2011, 13:40

I think that to maintain your health and sanity, 1-2 days off per week is really needed. It's mentally healthy to have at least a day to switch off and do something you enjoy, even if that entails doing nothing at all.

If you are working 7 days a week, make sure you still have enough time for daily exercise and eating right. If you don't have time to do either, it's time to re-evaluate your schedule. Health comes first!

This post was recommended by CraigTPE (27 Oct 2011, 16:08)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 27 Oct 2011, 18:03

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:
Lili wrote:Sunday: 4 hours of private tutoring (2 different people)
Monday: Buxiban 2-4:30, Buxiban II 5:30-8:30
Tuesday: Buxiban II 6-8pm
Wednesday: Buxiban II 9-11:30am, Buxiban I 1-6:30, Tutoring 7-9pm (A full 12 hour day.)
Thursday: Buxiban I 2-5pm
Friday: Buxiban II 9-11:00am, Buxiban I 1-6:30/7pm
Saturday: Tutoring 9-5pm

And I've been here a total of 9 weeks. Image
I think I'm gonna die.
However, my schedule should be changing soon. More hours, but more block times and less buxiban which is a great thing.

I handle it by... well, if you'd read my posts you can see there is a pattern of needing my coffee to be absolutely perfect and STRONG.
I don't catch colds. I did my partying in high school. Now I go out and enjoy a few beers/gin and tonics and conversation. Or meals.
The extra money right now, since I'm fresh off the boat is really helpful and necessary. I still have to pay myself back for plane tickets, visa apps (which for Americans is $140usd each), all those move-in expenses, etc.

Lili. You are doing about what I am going to be doing :eek: . What brand of coffee do you drink and how strong?

Starbucks: Iced double tall latte with no sugar (that one extra espresso than normal). One or two a day.
Off-topic: The Stabucks baristas at the two shops I go to know me by name and order. In fact, one of the guys recognized me on the street and the other one has my cup ready for me before I come in AND charges me 30% less than what they should be lmfao.

But, really I need that coffee to survive regardless of how many hours I work (mind you itd be impossible without the coffee. My brain will just literally shut down around 4:30pm). Its more about how much sleep I get and the food available. Ideally 8-9 hours of sleep and lots of food with minimal oil and salt (which obviously is no easy task here grrrrrr). And maybe if I have a chance, Ill run home and jump in the shower real quick.

Less travel time and screaming at kids. More block hours and brain power. That's the key...
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby keroliver » 27 Oct 2011, 19:38

When I arrived in Taiwan, I used to work :

9¬12 morning English classes as a teacher in school 1
12¬2 (always late of course) Chinese classes as a student in school 2
2.30¬4.00 afternoon English classes as a teacher in school 3
5¬9 Buxiban English classes as a teacher in school 4

Yes, 4 different places! I did this for 3 years. And I used to ride bicycle between those places... Add 2 good hours of riding per day. ... until I got married, and then... STOP.

To achieve this, you need to be very practical, very organized, very strong in your mind, but keep in mind the notion of rest, the notion of limits and boundaries.

And set up a time limit. Now back to the OP's message. You work 7 days a week. OK, so what? It's your decision. Go for it. But give yourself a deadline. We are in October 2011. OK, let's go until July 2012. Work towards a more reasonable working schedule, and make it happen.
keroliver
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 28 Oct 2011, 01:38

You also have to determine is you are giving up something more important than money.

For me, I could argue that I;m giving up time and rested mind to study Chinese. However, I justify this by arguing that with the extra money I can save now, the longer I can study financial-worry free later.

What's your opportunity cost and how do you justify it?
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili

21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 29 Oct 2011, 21:00

I work to live. I'm not even interested in working even 6 days/wk but I'm also lucky since I got 28 block hours M-F. And I'm also looking at some online work with flexible scheduling.

When I came to Taiwan I had 3hrs of Chinese class in the morning and 2-4 hrs of teaching (plus 1-2 of grading/prep) in the evenings. And 2 classes with an inconvenient break on Saturdays. I hated it but I also have some sleep problems that didn't help. The worst part wasn't the # of hrs each day but that the hrs were spread out.
Abacus
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

142 Recommends(s)
140 Recognized(s)

Postby Bluefish Consulting » 30 Oct 2011, 00:30

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:1. How many other people are doing it?
2. Of those of you who are doing it, how do you manage it?
3. How do I handle it if I should happen to catch a cold on Saturday night and am not able to come in on Sunday?
4. Is working 7 days a week really worth the extra money?

1. I taught classes six days a week for a year and a half.
2. I managed by not doing much else. I took it easy in my off time.
3. If it's not so bad, prepare lots of sugarless throat drops and hot drinks. If you're coughing, do the same, but also wear a mask. If it's serious, give them as much notice as possible that you need a day off.
4. It can be. It depends on your salary, commute, kids, boss, etc.
Bluefish Consulting
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Pingdong » 01 Nov 2011, 21:35

I think it can work if you are self employed or truly love what you are doing. We take days off to enjoy, but if we can get paid for enjoying, hell ya.

I do the 5 day school workweek with about 1 weekend teaching every 6 weeks. for the last 4 years or so I have also being doign my own business until usually 1-4am and one weekends. it is pretty true what they say about health, I have totally crapped out and am always tired. have 2 stomach problems, forgot the names, have bad insomnia and usually feel sick.

if i were to reset I would do it for only 1 year then do a year or normal work. It really takes a toll, but man do you take in some good $. its a personal choice, like drinking. do it and enjoy and live with the consequences, or don't.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby saddletramp » 01 Nov 2011, 21:41

Damn, I shoulda been an Engrish Teacher.
Mon. 6am-11pm
Tue. 6am-11pm
Wen. 6am-11pm
Thur. 6am-11pm
Fri. 6am-11pm
Sat. 7am-11pm
Sun. 7am-11pm
Forumosan avatar
saddletramp
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

113 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 01 Nov 2011, 21:42

saddletramp wrote:Damn, I shoulda been an Engrish Teacher.
Mon. 6am-11pm
Tue. 6am-11pm
Wen. 6am-11pm
Thur. 6am-11pm
Fri. 6am-11pm
Sat. 7am-11pm
Sun. 7am-11pm

Yeah, but you get leftovers! :lick:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby saddletramp » 01 Nov 2011, 21:45

jdsmith wrote:
saddletramp wrote:Damn, I shoulda been an Engrish Teacher.
Mon. 6am-11pm
Tue. 6am-11pm
Wen. 6am-11pm
Thur. 6am-11pm
Fri. 6am-11pm
Sat. 7am-11pm
Sun. 7am-11pm

Yeah, but you get leftovers! :lick:

How true, and I always make sure my kid is fed.
Forumosan avatar
saddletramp

113 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan