JFRV and chain schools

Moderator: Tempo Gain

JFRV and chain schools

Postby SJD » 20 Dec 2011, 09:43

I've read a few times that chain schools like HESS don't like to hire people with a JFRV or an APRC. I'm wondering if this is just an urban teaching myth or if it's actually true. Has anyone been hired (in the last few years) at HESS or one of the other large chains with a JFRV or an APRC, or has anyone been explicitly rejected because they possess a JFRV or an APRC? The first question is easy to answer; either you got hired or you didn't. The second is more difficult because they may have rejected you for other reasons. So, in the case of the second question, has anyone applied for a job at HESS or another chain school and been told that they won't be hired because they have a JFRV or an APRC?

I'm curious becasue I'll be returing to Taiwan next year, and although I'm not necessarily looking to work at a chain, I've heard that jobs are more difficult to come by these days, and I want to keep my options open.

Thanks for the help!
SJD
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: JFRV and chain schools

Postby funkymonkey » 20 Dec 2011, 10:22

SJD wrote:I've read a few times that chain schools like HESS don't like to hire people with a JFRV or an APRC.

Maybe it's because they can leave immediately after finding out what a crap job it is? :2cents: Many schools like to feel like they "own" the teacher and they have more power over them. People with a JFRV or an APRC are much more difficult to screw with (they've also usually been here for a while, so they know the laws, etc.).
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

31 Recognized(s)

Postby SJD » 20 Dec 2011, 11:16

Thanks for the reply funkymonkey,

What you are mentioning is basically what I've read before. The question is, is it true? What I'm looking for are people who have actually been in this situation and can confirm or refute this claim.
SJD
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby funkymonkey » 20 Dec 2011, 11:34

SJD wrote:Thanks for the reply funkymonkey,

What you are mentioning is basically what I've read before. The question is, is it true? What I'm looking for are people who have actually been in this situation and can confirm or refute this claim.

Sorry I can't help you out more. I have been told, and this is only hearsay, that the Hess in Jiayi only hires FOB foreigners. Seriously though, most chain schools should be avoided due to the low pay. Good luck.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey

31 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 21 Dec 2011, 01:54

I worked at a lincoln American school and they loved me because they didnt need to bother with as much paperwork for me. They wanted me to work a second year which i did, and they kept bothering me to resign the contract, which i didnt. But at least at that 1 school for me, they really liked the idea of JFRV.

I can very much understand the wanting to own the teacher thing, i can see it really well...but i cannot honestly say I have actually seen it firsthand or through friends.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 21 Dec 2011, 09:50

Pingdong wrote:I worked at a lincoln American school and they loved me because they didnt need to bother with as much paperwork for me. They wanted me to work a second year which i did, and they kept bothering me to resign the contract, which i didnt. But at least at that 1 school for me, they really liked the idea of JFRV.

I can very much understand the wanting to own the teacher thing, i can see it really well...but i cannot honestly say I have actually seen it firsthand or through friends.

Lincoln Americn school in Jiayi?
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby funkymonkey » 21 Dec 2011, 10:15

Satellite TV wrote:
Pingdong wrote:I worked at a lincoln American school and they loved me because they didnt need to bother with as much paperwork for me. They wanted me to work a second year which i did, and they kept bothering me to resign the contract, which i didnt. But at least at that 1 school for me, they really liked the idea of JFRV.

Oh shit... don't get me started on that place... (do a search)

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey

31 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 21 Dec 2011, 12:41

funkymonkey wrote:
Satellite TV wrote:

Oh shit... don't get me started on that place... (do a search)

Several of my friends pulled there kids outta there after starting school there. Of course when they went there to pay tuition everything was hunky dory but as soon as the kids started classes it was time to get them out of there. That and Noble must be the ( allegedly ) worst schools in Jiayi. Some poeple who had their kids there didnt have spare cash to move them to another school so their kids stayed for a year. A complete disaster and the kids totally unhappy.

I can see why Pindong would think the way he does if thats where he worked. But how the hell he stayed for a 2nd year is beyond my understanding if it is the Jiayi school.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV

Postby Pingdong » 22 Dec 2011, 22:02

hehe, no not Jayi...I am in the south. I will say it was in the great Pingdong/Kaohsiung area cause I don't like making problems for people. But by the sounds of it it is a similar teaching style. It was a horrible place, my 2nd year we went through 6 head teachers and countless assistant teachers.....I only stayed cause we were broke as shit and totally ignorant of how things get on here (was my first 2 years in Taiwan). The thing is though that some of the parents actaully thought the massive ego and child beaten tendencies of the owner were good teaching practice, a common belief around here. Currently we often loose a couple students a year because we refuse to beat them as a punishment. A couple more per year because we refuse to use KK to teach English.

The only thing worse than a principle is a parent....
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby ehophi » 13 Jan 2012, 00:37

Pingdong wrote:Currently we often loose a couple students a year because we refuse to beat them as a punishment. A couple more per year because we refuse to use KK to teach English.

I don't teach KK, either, but tell the parents that it's easier to recognize KK with DJ than the other way around.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

49 Recommends(s)
63 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan