Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Whitie possibly looking to move to Taiwan

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Whitie possibly looking to move to Taiwan

Postby AnywhereButHere » 10 Apr 2012, 21:52

Hi, newb white American here. I'm wondering what my chances are of landing a teaching gig in the Taoyuan area. I have no prior teaching experience and don't speak Mandarin. If it's not even possible, what other kind of jobs should I look for/expect to be able to get? Pay rates? Any information is appreciated. I have searched around but seems like most info on this that people have linked to is from 2008.
AnywhereButHere
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Whitie possibly looking to move to Taiwan

Postby jdsmith » 10 Apr 2012, 21:55

AnywhereButHere wrote:Hi, newb white American here. I'm wondering what my chances are of landing a teaching gig in the Taoyuan area. I have no prior teaching experience and don't speak Mandarin. If it's not even possible, what other kind of jobs should I look for/expect to be able to get? Pay rates? Any information is appreciated. I have searched around but seems like most info on this that people have linked to is from 2008.

Dear Butthere,

You'll do fine, even better in Taoyuan if you speak Canadian. :thumbsup:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 10 Apr 2012, 22:27

ABH, a good idea would be to get onto Dave's ESL Cafe and browse the Taiwan forum (as well as the forums for any other countries you may be interested in). It is a great resource for people looking to start teaching overseas.

Good luck!!! :)
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 10 Apr 2012, 23:39

jdsmith wrote:Dear Butthere,

Dude, the amount of money I spend on Canadian lessons :eek: ! Hopefully they'll pay off in the end - which would be like totally awesome.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby AnywhereButHere » 11 Apr 2012, 01:01

I'm glad you guys seem confident I'll be able to get a job. Now I just have to get over that knot in my stomach that comes up every time I think about packing up and taking off to a new world all on my own =/
AnywhereButHere

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby tommy525 » 11 Apr 2012, 01:33

Taiwan is one of the easiest foreign places to get used to if you are from the USA.

Dont worry bout it, it will be fine . Just stay on this forum and ask questions. YOU will be needing some tips here and there I would think.

p.s. how old are ya? And watch out for em taiwan girls ! They will have you tied around their (hello kitty) pinky in no time :lol:
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

596 Recommends(s)
372 Recognized(s)

Postby AnywhereButHere » 11 Apr 2012, 21:37

tommy525 wrote:Taiwan is one of the easiest foreign places to get used to if you are from the USA.

Dont worry bout it, it will be fine . Just stay on this forum and ask questions. YOU will be needing some tips here and there I would think.

p.s. how old are ya? And watch out for em taiwan girls ! They will have you tied around their (hello kitty) pinky in no time :lol:

21 years old. The thing I'm most worried about is not speaking Mandarin. Though I have heard that a ton of people speak at least some Engrish and it isn't really a problem. Yeah.... I have heard lots of bad things about TW girls... I wasn't planning on getting married any time soon even to a USA girl. :lol:
AnywhereButHere

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Toe Save » 11 Apr 2012, 21:49

tomthorne wrote:
jdsmith wrote:Dear Butthere,

Dude, the amount of money I spend on Canadian lessons :eek: ! Hopefully they'll pay off in the end - which would be like totally awesome, eh?

Fixed that for you. Next time think aboot it first, eh?
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

56 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 12 Apr 2012, 00:52

AnywhereButHere wrote:
tommy525 wrote:Taiwan is one of the easiest foreign places to get used to if you are from the USA.

21 years old. The thing I'm most worried about is not speaking Mandarin. Though I have heard that a ton of people speak at least some Engrish and it isn't really a problem. Yeah.... I have heard lots of bad things about TW girls... I wasn't planning on getting married any time soon even to a USA girl. :lol:

haha ya but some of the "bad" things about TAiwan girls are actually good things :)

You will be fine ! Dont be scared. TAiwan is one of the easiest and safest places for a person to experience a different culture (make that a different Planet in Taiwans case though). JUst stay off scooters and watch out where you walk. Remember cross walks are just pedestrian target zones. Red lights dont mean shit , and scoots ride on sidewalks too so look in all directions while on the deadly streets. Do NOT mess with mob dolls in bars. Try not to get too drunk at Seven 11s. Dont just marry the first girl that approaches you. Dont start no shit ! And what else? Theres tons else.

Oh and reading some blogs , I think a teaching outfit called Gloria (IIRC) will put you up with other teachurs in an apt in Taoyuan.

Bring some nice walking shoes and hit the buxibans and apply. You will get work. Seems the only problem is getting enough hours to more then survive.

IF you persevere (and bring a coupla thou with ya) you should be fine.

Ride the MRT, stay off scoots. But if you ride mtn bikes, get in touch with the few forumosans that do weekend rides. You will have a blast im sure as they go to nice places.

Get out there and explore Taipei and its surrounding areas soon as you can. Go to Kaohsiung and Taichung as well and see if you would prefer those places and look for jobs there (but avoid Tainan as the denizens there are territorial..and the place officially does not exist according to them).
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

596 Recommends(s)
372 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 12 Apr 2012, 01:52

AnywhereButHere wrote:I'm glad you guys seem confident I'll be able to get a job. Now I just have to get over that knot in my stomach that comes up every time I think about packing up and taking off to a new world all on my own =/

It can be a scary feeling, but so exciting! I was your age when I left the States (I started out with the Peace Corps) and have never looked back. I'm 38 now and have lived / worked / studied on five different continents and plan to live abroad for the rest of my life.

I wish more young Americans would make the jump to have a bit of adventure like you're about to. Hats off to ya, bud! :)
Forumosan avatar
Indiana

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan