When they rally the troops against you!

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: When they rally the troops against you!

Postby PapaAzucar » 23 Apr 2012, 09:32

GuyInTaiwan wrote:I may have written that in a metaphorical sense, you know.

Yes, I know. But what I suggested is not metaphorical. In the system where the teacher is accountable for student learning (like the student is the customer), then the teacher needs to abide by the "political correctness" principle of not blaming the customer (students). This is probably why the US education system is failing.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 23 Apr 2012, 20:42

PapaAzucar wrote:
GuyInTaiwan wrote:I may have written that in a metaphorical sense, you know.

Yes, I know. But what I suggested is not metaphorical. In the system where the teacher is accountable for student learning (like the student is the customer), then the teacher needs to abide by the "political correctness" principle of not blaming the customer (students). This is probably why the US education system is failing.

I think this is why the Buxiban system fails. The student is the customer, is the boss.
I undertstand what you said at the beginning, Papa. I also think it is an inherit problem with many people; The attitude that you have to earn my respect. With that attitude, I ought to have the right to punch every new person I meet on the street in the face. After all they haven't earned my respect yet.
I think a better attitude for people to have is tha every human being,even people you don't like, deserves a basic level of respect, until they have done something wrong. When they have done somehting wrong, you are under no obligation to respect them, but you still have to be civil.
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...

This post was recommended by NonTocareLeTete (23 Apr 2012, 21:19)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 24 Apr 2012, 00:38

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:I think this is why the Buxiban system fails. The student is the customer, is the boss.

I wouldn't say the buxibans are failing unless parents quit sending their students.
In the US, parents are pulling their students from the public schools. And home schooling is growing at a record rate with the new edutech/edtech startups marketing specifically towards the students, parents, and teachers directly, because everyone knows how screwed up the school systems are.
http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2012/04/when-technologies-collide-consumer-k-12-and-higher-ed/
I'm having second thoughts about returning to the US and maybe staying in Taiwan permanently.

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:I undertstand what you said at the beginning, Papa. I also think it is an inherit problem with many people; The attitude that you have to earn my respect. With that attitude, I ought to have the right to punch every new person I meet on the street in the face. After all they haven't earned my respect yet.
I think a better attitude for people to have is tha every human being,even people you don't like, deserves a basic level of respect, until they have done something wrong. When they have done somehting wrong, you are under no obligation to respect them, but you still have to be civil.

Ideally, I agree with you.
But instinctively as a population, people act differently from the ideal.
We do tend to avoid people we don't like for whatever reason so we rarely have to test "every new person on the "street".
And it is the same reason in the US why you avoid ghettos or barrios where the "gangsta's" do act out their survival instincts and do "punch" new people on the streets.
PapaAzucar

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 26 Apr 2012, 02:53

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:
I undertstand what you said at the beginning, Papa. I also think it is an inherit problem with many people; The attitude that you have to earn my respect. With that attitude, I ought to have the right to punch every new person I meet on the street in the face. After all they haven't earned my respect yet.
Ideally, I agree with you.
But instinctively as a population, people act differently from the ideal.
We do tend to avoid people we don't like for whatever reason so we rarely have to test "every new person on the "street".
And it is the same reason in the US why you avoid ghettos or barrios where the "gangsta's" do act out their survival instincts and do "punch" new people on the streets

The kid was OK today and the class went well. My understanding is that my boss and the parents have been talking to the kid to convince him that I am not really a bad guy and my boss came to me with a bit of his point of view which was basically not enough of a reward when he does well.
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 26 Apr 2012, 06:40

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:The kid was OK today and the class went well. My understanding is that my boss and the parents have been talking to the kid to convince him that I am not really a bad guy and my boss came to me with a bit of his point of view which was basically not enough of a reward when he does well.

When the kid does something well, no matter how trivial, make sure you compliment him (even if it makes you feel like throwing up inside). This reinforces to him that you are not his "enemy" and that you are trying to help him. At the same time make sure that you teach the kid your boundaries or discipline limits, so that he knows he can't do whatever he wants. Everyone's personality is different, so you will have to figure out the best way to do these with your personality and the relationship dynamics with this kid. More one-on-one or individual attention with the kid never hurts. In general, giving the students more feedback is always better. Good luck.
PapaAzucar

1 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan