Great English/English Learning websites/software: A list

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Great English/English Learning websites/software: A list

Postby jdsmith » 16 Apr 2012, 14:33

Hey folks, I'm trying to get together a good long list of great English learning websites/software, as well as great English websites for kids. I'm trying to get our students more involved in using English online. :thumbsup:

I like the ALICE software a lot:
Alice is a freeware object-oriented educational programming language with an integrated development environment (IDE). Later versions are implemented in Java. Alice uses a drag and drop environment to create computer animations using 3D models. The software was developed first at University of Virginia, then Carnegie Mellon (from 1997), by a research group led by the late Randy Pausch. Alice was developed to address three core problems in educational programming:[4]

Most programming languages are designed to be usable for "production code" and thus introduce additional complexity. Alice is designed solely to teach programming theory without the complex semantics of production languages such as C++. Users can place objects from Alice's gallery into the virtual world that they have imagined, and then they can program by dragging and dropping tiles that represent logical structures. Additionally, the user can manipulate Alice's camera and lighting to make further enhancements. Alice can be used for 3D user interfaces.
Alice is conjoined with its IDE. There is no syntax to remember. However, it supports the full object-oriented, event driven model of programming.
Alice is designed to appeal to specific subpopulations not normally exposed to computer programming, such as female students of middle school age, by encouraging storytelling, unlike most other programming languages which are designed for computation. Alice is also used at many colleges and universities in Introduction to Programming courses.

In controlled studies at Ithaca College and Saint Joseph's University looking at students with no prior programming experience taking their first computer science course, the average grade rose from C to B, and retention rose from 47% to 88%.[5]

A variant of Alice 2.0 called Storytelling Alice was created by Caitlin Kelleher for her PhD dissertation. It includes 3 main differences:[6]

High-level animations that enable users to program social interactions between characters.
A story-based tutorial that introduces users to programming through building a story.
A gallery of 3D characters and scenery with custom animations designed to spark story ideas.

It appeared to increase interest (42% increase in programming time and over 3x as many students doing additional work as Generic Alice) without any drop off in basic programming tasks acquired.[6] The next version of Storytelling Alice is known as Looking Glass, and is being developed at Washington University in St. Louis.[7]

Sports Illustrated for kids:
http://www.sikids.com

http://www.abcfastphonics.com/ for phonics

http://pbskids.org/

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Re: Great English/English Learning websites/software: A list

Postby PapaAzucar » 20 Apr 2012, 13:07

jdsmith wrote:I like the ALICE software a lot:

I like ALICE a lot as well. Randy Pausch wrote ALICE, and is better known for his "Last Lecture". Caitlin Kelleher was Pausch's student.

Also, check out Scratch.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby zender » 20 Apr 2012, 13:45

For ages 3-7, I love STARFALL.
http://www.starfall.com/
zender
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

85 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby DBD95 » 01 Jul 2012, 21:53

There is actually a program at www.GreatEng.com called Great English that I've found really exceptional for teaching beginners.
DBD95
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan