Teaching with Shane School of English in Zhanghua

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Teaching with Shane School of English in Zhanghua

Postby The LawBA » 17 Apr 2012, 03:24

Hello everyone.

I've taken a position with Shane School of English in Taiwan, and will arrive in Taipei for training in three weeks. It's my first time in Taiwan, and will also be my first time teaching English, though I have a BA in English and a TEFL certificate. I'll be teaching at three schools in Zhanghua City, Yuanlin and Homei. I know this is a bit much to ask, but does anyone on the forums have experience with Shane in Zhanghua, or happen to be teaching with them currently? If so, what are your experiences with Shane and Zhanghua generally? I know that's probably very general, but any and all advice and feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

I've done a lot of research on Taiwan, but I'm still uncomfortably aware I don't know as much as I'd like. I really want to make a good impression in this, my first TEFL job, and would appreciate anything people have to say, as it would be a great help. Thank you.
The LawBA
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Teaching with Shane School of English in Zhanghua

Postby cfimages » 17 Apr 2012, 07:08

The LawBA wrote:I'll be teaching at three schools in Zhanghua City, Yuanlin and Homei.

Make sure they provide a separate work permit for each school. They'll likely apply for one permit only and send you to three schools - be aware that that is illegal and puts you at risk of deportation if caught teaching at a school that you don't have a work permit for.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

217 Recommends(s)
213 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 17 Apr 2012, 08:03

Although I rarely agree with CFI, he is 110% correct here. :oops:

You need a work permit with the details of each branch you work for.

They will probably give you a long story about why they only have one work permit for you. Do not fall for it.

If are caught at a school you do not have a permit for you will probably get deported.

Lets not get into the chances of this happening. Just be aware.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby superguavaguy » 17 Apr 2012, 12:11

I know someone who is working for a Shane down there, and I bet you'll be working for the same owner. My friend is getting paid $460 per hour, lower than anyone I've ever heard about, and the boss is holding a percentage of his salary and then giving it to him as a "bonus" at the end of contract, which is illegal, I think. I wouldn't work for that person, if I were you, she sounds like a crook.
superguavaguy
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby The LawBA » 17 Apr 2012, 21:23

Make sure they provide a separate work permit for each school. They'll likely apply for one permit only and send you to three schools - be aware that that is illegal and puts you at risk of deportation if caught teaching at a school that you don't have a work permit for

Thank you, both of you, for pointing that out. While I had heard about the permit issue, I assumed that Shane would have it covered and I'm a little worried to see they may not. And thank you also Superguavaguy - while my Shane contact has been through a man in their office thus far who seems quite helpful, I've had no contact with the franchise owner herself. I know she is a woman, so odds are good it's the same person your friend is talking about. In the contract Shane originally sent me it stated I would be getting $550 an hour - is there any way to protest if they undercut you like that?
The LawBA

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Puppet » 17 Apr 2012, 21:26

I live in Zhanghua and have known many people that have worked at Shane. Send me a private message if you want more information. I'll gladly tell you stories offline of what I have heard. :)

But if you do make it down here, always willing to meet new people. Let me know and we can grab a burger or beer or .... whatever you eat or drink.

Matt
Forumosan avatar
Puppet
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

60 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

Postby The LawBA » 18 Apr 2012, 22:01

Clarified with my Shane contact, who indicated I'd primarily be working at the Ho Mei branch, with the other two being on a 'cover' basis. The details of the permit will be arranged when in Taiwan, so it looks like I 'll just have to wait and see on that one.
The LawBA

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby zerogrymatter » 19 Apr 2012, 00:24

yo

I'm the head-teacher at Shane Zhanghua. Since you and I'll be working together, send me a PM and I'll tell you everything you want to know and answer all your questions.
zerogrymatter

Postby zerogrymatter » 19 Apr 2012, 00:28

superguavaguy wrote:I know someone who is working for a Shane down there, and I bet you'll be working for the same owner. My friend is getting paid $460 per hour, lower than anyone I've ever heard about, and the boss is holding a percentage of his salary and then giving it to him as a "bonus" at the end of contract, which is illegal, I think. I wouldn't work for that person, if I were you, she sounds like a crook.

Also I'm calling B.S. on this. I've never heard of any teacher making anything less than $560 an hour in the three years I've worked at Shane, and I'm privy to such info. What's you friend's name supergravy? If your right and I'm wrong, I'd like to find out what the hell is going on and try to help out.
zerogrymatter

Postby Puppet » 20 Apr 2012, 04:37

zerogrymatter wrote:
superguavaguy wrote:I know someone who is working for a Shane down there, and I bet you'll be working for the same owner. My friend is getting paid $460 per hour, lower than anyone I've ever heard about, and the boss is holding a percentage of his salary and then giving it to him as a "bonus" at the end of contract, which is illegal, I think. I wouldn't work for that person, if I were you, she sounds like a crook.

Also I'm calling B.S. on this. I've never heard of any teacher making anything less than $560 an hour in the three years I've worked at Shane, and I'm privy to such info. What's you friend's name supergravy? If your right and I'm wrong, I'd like to find out what the hell is going on and try to help out.

Never heard of $460 an hour at Shane either.
Forumosan avatar
Puppet

60 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan