can i teach with a YMS holiday working visa?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

can i teach with a YMS holiday working visa?

Postby nickp6615 » 17 Apr 2012, 11:18

hi.
im brittish currently living in taiwan and hold a 1 year YMS holiday working visa. this visa has only been available a couple of months so there is nearly no imformation online. im considering looking for a teaching job. online it says everywhere you cannot get a work permit or teach without a degree. I have no degree BUT have an ARC allowing me to work. does this mean its a bit diferent for me. is the degree mandatory to teach or just to qualify for a work permit?
nickp6615
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
In Taiwan since: 26 Mar 2012

Re: can i teach with a YMS holiday working visa?

Postby milkalex » 17 Apr 2012, 11:52

with that visa you can do any job. There is no further working permit or ARC needed but your working time with each employer is limited to three month.
milkalex
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Re: can i teach with a YMS holiday working visa?

Postby *monkey* » 17 Apr 2012, 13:42

milkalex wrote:with that visa you can do any job. There is no further working permit or ARC needed but your working time with each employer is limited to three month.

Actually, UK nationals are exempt from the 3-month rule. And no, the YMS visas do not enable the holder to take any job. They can only take jobs for which no minimum qualifications or licenses are required. The OP isn't going to be able to teach in the public school system, but there's nothing to stop him teaching in a buxiban.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan