Math or Computer Science teaching positions?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Math or Computer Science teaching positions?

Postby PapaAzucar » 18 Apr 2012, 15:17

Hello all, are there any Math, Computer Science, and Engineering teaching positions besides just plain English?

Are there English teaching positions for say...like math word problems, computational thinking (language of logic/proofs like inverse, contrapositive, AND/OR, NOR, etc.), or technology terms? My only guess is that the target student population would be SAT, GRE, TOEFL or those that want to go to Western universities to study technical fields.

If there are teaching positions available like these, I would not mind applying and staying to work in Taiwan for the long-term. Are there teaching opportunities like these?
Thanks.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Math or Computer Science teaching positions?

Postby WaltzingMatilda » 18 Apr 2012, 15:22

I guess the answer to your question would depend on your level of education. I would think that if you had a Masters in any of those fields you mentioned, you *could* get a job at one of the local universities. If you have a state teacher certification, then you could find work in one of the bilingual / international schools here, teaching high school maths. I'm not really sure about teaching maths/computer science/ engineering in a buxiban though..
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Power is like being a lady... if you have to tell people you are, you aren't."
- Margaret Thatcher
Forumosan avatar
WaltzingMatilda
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

34 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby richard_g3 » 18 Apr 2012, 16:22

I'm also interested in the answer to this question. I have a masters in maths and could teach maths or physics, but have no teaching credentials other than a bit of private tutoring experience.
richard_g3
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby ironlady » 18 Apr 2012, 21:11

Master's = university or college teaching position if you can find one. I don't see it as being likely, since there are more than enough qualified (Ph.D bearing) Taiwanese competing for the same jobs, but that's not to say that you might not get lucky.

For buxiban (cram school) math, usually the math teachers are "famous" high school teachers from Taiwan who have a "proprietary method" of teaching specifically to the test. Unless you're dead fluent in Chinese I don't think there would even be a chance (when I taught test prep buxiban classes for TOEFL and GRE I lectured in Chinese because it was not an English class, it was a "how to get a good score on the TOEFL" class. My experience was a long time ago now, but I haven't seen a significant change in the ads for buxibans so I'm supposing the situation hasn't changed all that much.

It would be interesting to see if you could get private students tutoring Math in English, but if I were a parent, I probably wouldn't go for it since I'd put mutual understanding of Math mechanics above the longer-range benefit of learning English at the same time. And if you aren't a skilled language teacher to begin with, it would be hard to make the English for higher math comprehensible to someone at the level of a typical not-doing-so-well-in-school Taiwanese kid.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
327 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby PapaAzucar » 20 Apr 2012, 12:52

Thanks for the responses.
I was just brainstorming on what might be missing from the Taiwanese education system.

I see a lot of first-rate tech workers here--in fact enough to put Taipei up there with Silicon Valley. But there is "something" missing with the Taiwan tech workers which I can't quite put my finger on it. I am guessing that this missing "something" is the result of the education system here with the emphasis on testing ("gao kao") and little emphasis on application or context. What surprises me is the number of tech workers that are Western trained, but yet it seems that they practice little of their Western training to the corporate culture here, but that is another thread.

What I am probably trying to ask is how open are the schools/colleges/buxibans to new curricula or non-traditional ways of teaching?
Or should the new teacher just keep his mouth shut and follow the program like everyone else?
PapaAzucar

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby superguavaguy » 21 Apr 2012, 13:10

Cram school work in Asia sucks, regardless of the subject. If you have the option, you should definitely go the international school route. Having said that, teaching is probably the least lucrative way of using math or computer science skills. Recently there have been a few posts similar to this one (asking about IT/CS related work), and I'll tell you what I told them - don't come to Asia for that kind of work (unless a big company is sending you here), but go to Australia or New Zealand. If you can program, there is work all over the world, and the pay, working hours and working conditions will all be much better than here.
superguavaguy
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

6 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan