Smartphones in the classrooms???

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Smartphones in the classrooms???

Postby PapaAzucar » 24 Apr 2012, 01:04

baberenglish wrote:Easy.
Shoebox. Collect them(turned off) at the beginning of class.

Not so easy in the US where the kids will either lie that they don't have one and will hide it, or they will just boldly refuse.
When one kid does it, the other kids join in.
And when the teacher tries to get the parents' support, the parents jump on the teacher for not allowing their kids to have their phones in case of emergency.
And when the teacher tries to get the administrator's support, the administrator jumps on the teacher for wasting his time knowing that the parents are against it.

Dougster wrote:It pisses me off big time when students check words on their i - phone dictionaries while I'm trying to elict or explain the meaning of the word.

This is probably the new norm now.
I was attending a graduate class a while back in the US.
All the students were looking at their laptops, and no one or few were looking at the lecturer.
For all the lecturer knows, he could have been talking to a blank wall.
But when I sat in the back of the room where I could see some of the screens, the students were looking up the stuff that the lecturer was talking about.
This is apparently how the newer generations are wired to learn.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby ehophi » 21 Oct 2012, 23:10

Dougster wrote:It pisses me off big time when students check words on their i - phone dictionaries while I'm trying to elict or explain the meaning of the word. I teach ielts and and general english and when I see a student checking their phone, I grab a dictionary and plonk it in front of them. In fact, I might start a new policy and banning them from the classroom, unless the student is expecting a very important call.

I tell my students that one advantage of my classes is that they don't need to bring a dictionary anymore. If they're not clear about the meaning of a word or phrase, they just have to raise their hands, and I'll give them the answer in terms that they can understand.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

49 Recommends(s)
63 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 21 Oct 2012, 23:33

Luckily for me, I have power over my uni students, in that I can FAIL them at my whim. I walk around with my class list and if I see someone on their phone, texting shit, I make a mark next to their name. I tut-tut and shake my head. Works like a charm. :2cents:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

939 Recommends(s)
353 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 22 Oct 2012, 07:28

jimipresley wrote:Luckily for me, I have power over my uni students, in that I can FAIL them at my whim. I walk around with my class list and if I see someone on their phone, texting shit, I make a mark next to their name. I tut-tut and shake my head. Works like a charm. :2cents:

Ditto. The only issue these days is that smartphones often ARE useful to the students (dictionaries especially, but also Wikipedia and the like): five years ago I could just place a blanket ban on using cellphones at all, but I consider that too heavy-handed now.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

34 Recommends(s)
55 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 22 Oct 2012, 07:41

Class list, mark to their name ....it really is like teaching elementary school eh.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1473 Recommends(s)
549 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 06 Nov 2012, 11:56

We have this jammer at the university I work at...it's a nice idea but not so nice in the case of an emergency or if you need to call the techies in when the Smartboards or air conditioning are out of order. They turn the jammer on intermittently, usually during ceremonies when the bigwigs are here giving a speech or something like that.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 06 Nov 2012, 12:05

Indiana wrote:We have this jammer at the university I work at...it's a nice idea but not so nice in the case of an emergency or if you need to call the techies in when the Smartboards or air conditioning are out of order. They turn the jammer on intermittently, usually during ceremonies when the bigwigs are here giving a speech or something like that.

What's a Smartboard?
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 06 Nov 2012, 12:29

the chief wrote:What's a Smartboard?

Like a Smartplank but wider.

(I have a vague impression it's like a giant iPad, but I've never used one.)
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia

34 Recommends(s)
55 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan