Smartphones in the classrooms???

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Smartphones in the classrooms???

Postby PapaAzucar » 22 Apr 2012, 16:08

Are the teachers having trouble with students using their smartphones in class yet?
Is it standard classroom policy to have the phones off?

When I was teaching in the US, we had a no cellphone policy, but the teachers could not enforce it.
Students were crafty in how they hide their phones and routinely text each other, even cheating on exams using their phones.
Teachers could never prove the cheating unless they subpoenaed the student's phone bill log.
Some teachers experimented with lessons having the students look up stuff on their phones, but those were the idealistic ones.
Other teachers ended up getting a cell signal jammer for their classrooms.
Do the teachers in Taiwan have to resort to buying a cell signal jammer for their classroom yet?

Just curious on how the Taiwan classrooms compared to the US. Thanks.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Smartphones in the classrooms???

Postby sandman » 22 Apr 2012, 16:22

When I was a kid, we weren't even allowed to use slide rules in math class. This was WAY before the advent of pocket calculators. Guess them old fogeys are feeling pretty damn stupid now. Well, they're probably all dead by now, but you get the picture. My neices in Scotland don't carry schoolbags any more, as the school has provided them with ipads that have all their textbooks right in there.
But never fear! You can join me on a weekly bitchfest about them damned new-fangled gadgets and how they're destroying the youth of today. Not like in MY day and age, when we had to walk to school for 14 miles through the snow, in AUGUST! Uphill both ways. :lol:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 22 Apr 2012, 22:07

Whenever I'm worried about cheating, I make everyone give me their books or whatnot and collect them at the front of the class. You could do a similar thing with phones but you'd want to maybe label everyone's phone (if it's a big class).

In Australia we had to put our phones in our bags and leave our bags at the front of the classroom. If a phone so much as vibrated during the exam and the teacher figure out who's it was, you got a 0 for the test.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 22 Apr 2012, 23:36

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:In Australia we had to put our phones in our bags and leave our bags at the front of the classroom. If a phone so much as vibrated during the exam and the teacher figure out who's it was, you got a 0 for the test.

I do this with my students during exams and also have to with one of my classes on a daily basis as they are so bad with their phones. My students are sneaky, but I have a rule that if I see it being used during class, I put it on my desk. The second time it happens I send them with a referral note to the Student Services Dept. to get an official warning and talking to by administrators. If they get sent to Admin twice, they then get referred to the Dean and can possibly get expelled.

All of our students are getting iPads this week, so that is sure to create other issues....but I am happy at the prospect of a paperless classroom nonetheless. Will just have to keep a closer eye on everything.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 23 Apr 2012, 00:01

This is one of the reasons I support bringing back floggings. We never had this problem when we had floggings in the classroom. Flog them I say; beat them black and blue :grandpa:

And rum for the teachers.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

84 Recommends(s)
165 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

Postby PapaAzucar » 23 Apr 2012, 09:10

Indiana wrote:All of our students are getting iPads this week, so that is sure to create other issues....

This is a school in Taiwan or UAE?
PapaAzucar

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 23 Apr 2012, 10:07

Easy.
Shoebox. Collect them(turned off) at the beginning of class. 99% of kids have phones. There should be 99% of the class' phones as well. Bell goes give them back. Works like a charm.
If they complain about it then they have a choice. Put it in the box or don't bring it.
Emergency? Call the school!
Done like dinner.
BUT
What gets me are those touch screen Nano MP5 watches. They sit and f*ck around with the screen. Technically it's a watch but I am getting this close to putting those watches in the box as well.
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby Puppet » 23 Apr 2012, 10:26

baberenglish wrote:Easy.
Shoebox. Collect them(turned off) at the beginning of class. 99% of kids have phones. There should be 99% of the class' phones as well. Bell goes give them back. Works like a charm.
If they complain about it then they have a choice. Put it in the box or don't bring it.
Emergency? Call the school!
Done like dinner.
BUT
What gets me are those touch screen Nano MP5 watches. They sit and f*ck around with the screen. Technically it's a watch but I am getting this close to putting those watches in the box as well.

Make a more general rule: any electronic device that is likely to distract you from class goes in the box. That way, you won't have to worry about making up a million "what goes in the box?" rules

Oh. And nobody leaves until everyone has all their stuff back. (Prevent theft).
Forumosan avatar
Puppet
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

60 Recommends(s)
32 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 23 Apr 2012, 10:31

PapaAzucar wrote:
Indiana wrote:All of our students are getting iPads this week, so that is sure to create other issues....

This is a school in Taiwan or UAE?

UAE. They made the decision last week and immediately sent a delegation to the US to procure 10,000 of them, for all of the students and Instructors at my university. Naturally they didn't think anything through before they jumped, so I fully expect the whole idea to turn into a big, fat mess for most classes!

On a lighter note, it is not just my university doing this, it is ALL of the national universities in the UAE, so it might be a great time to buy stock in Apple!!! :)
Forumosan avatar
Indiana

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby Dougster » 23 Apr 2012, 12:15

It pisses me off big time when students check words on their i - phone dictionaries while I'm trying to elict or explain the meaning of the word. I teach ielts and and general english and when I see a student checking their phone, I grab a dictionary and plonk it in front of them. In fact, I might start a new policy and banning them from the classroom, unless the student is expecting a very important call.
"A pair of quadruple whiskys and a pair of pints please" Withnail
Forumosan avatar
Dougster
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan