how do I make more than 70000 NTD a month?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: how do I make more than 70000 NTD a month?

Postby creztor » 05 May 2012, 09:12

skoster, I guess the thing about Taiwan is that is is/was easy or easier to get a job, but the job you land offers very little progression. Also, I understand the US and possibly a few other countries are in some serious economic difficulties now, and that makes finding a job even much more difficult. However, I still believe if someone put ten years into a real teaching career back home would be better of financially than someone who put in ten years at a buxiban here. Also, when the financial shit does hit the fan and really starts to affect Taiwan, all these buxibans are going to feel the pain, much more than they are now. Mr and Mrs Chen will have to decide between "real" subjects or "English" when deciding on what classes to send their child to at cram school. Buxiban jobs offer about as much long-term stability as building a house on quick sand.

skoster wrote:Around the Northern Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC area I don't know of a single district which has given a step raise in the last several years. It's in the contract, but it doesn't happen. The step 1 salary for MA holders in my district is about 930 nt, but don't forget that then you have to take out taxes, union dues, and everything else for which you're squeezed. Just knock out the taxes and you're down to under 630 nt per hour, take out the various required payments for health insurance, dental, life insurance, union dues, etc., and you're well under 600 nt per hour.

I'm not saying you guys don't have it bad, but keep in mind that people just starting out aren't exactly on a teaching gravy train here either.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby skoster » 05 May 2012, 10:30

I can only speak to the idea that there is some sort of fiscal progression and job security working in a school district in the US. These are currently false ideas, at least as far as the districts I work in and around are concerned (I contract my services to a couple of districts as well as an SNF). I know teachers, SLPS, OTs and PTs in districts here who are making no more than when they were hired 5+ years ago, less in fact since their stipends and differentials have been cut.

The reality in the districts I know of is that there are no raises, there are hiring freezes, and people are losing their jobs.

I cannot speak to how this compares to Taiwan since I do not live there. I would contest that unless you have been working in a school district in the US within the last 3 - 5 years, you may have just as much difficulty making that comparison as I do.

creztor wrote:skoster, I guess the thing about Taiwan is that is is/was easy or easier to get a job, but the job you land offers very little progression. Also, I understand the US and possibly a few other countries are in some serious economic difficulties now, and that makes finding a job even much more difficult. However, I still believe if someone put ten years into a real teaching career back home would be better of financially than someone who put in ten years at a buxiban here. Also, when the financial shit does hit the fan and really starts to affect Taiwan, all these buxibans are going to feel the pain, much more than they are now. Mr and Mrs Chen will have to decide between "real" subjects or "English" when deciding on what classes to send their child to at cram school. Buxiban jobs offer about as much long-term stability as building a house on quick sand.

skoster wrote:Around the Northern Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC area I don't know of a single district which has given a step raise in the last several years. It's in the contract, but it doesn't happen. The step 1 salary for MA holders in my district is about 930 nt, but don't forget that then you have to take out taxes, union dues, and everything else for which you're squeezed. Just knock out the taxes and you're down to under 630 nt per hour, take out the various required payments for health insurance, dental, life insurance, union dues, etc., and you're well under 600 nt per hour.

I'm not saying you guys don't have it bad, but keep in mind that people just starting out aren't exactly on a teaching gravy train here either.
skoster
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

125 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 05 May 2012, 11:54

Mr and Mrs Chen will have to decide between "real" subjects or "English" when deciding on what classes to send their child to at cram school.

As long as English remains a major part of the college entrance exam and JHS/HS curriculum here, you won't have to worry about it not being considered a 'real' subject.
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

8 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby creztor » 05 May 2012, 13:47

Oh, but "who" teaches it will be important. There's no need to have foreigners teaching English in Taiwan, at least not at cram schools. They cost considerably much more and do a lot less work for the inflated wage they get paid. Speaking ability is NOT a priority, due to the way tests are designed, so why pay extra for the foreign potato?

Tiger Mountaineer wrote:
Mr and Mrs Chen will have to decide between "real" subjects or "English" when deciding on what classes to send their child to at cram school.

As long as English remains a major part of the college entrance exam and JHS/HS curriculum here, you won't have to worry about it not being considered a 'real' subject.
creztor

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 05 May 2012, 13:59

I taught in cram schools before (do you mean buxibans?). Anyway easy work it was not in many cases. It's also not inflated wages.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1489 Recommends(s)
556 Recognized(s)

Postby twonavels » 05 May 2012, 15:20

International school is definitely the way to go. Just one job, great students and co-workers, and a great syllabus where you get to teach novels and poetry and short stories and writing. They also have nice clubs to get into like Drama, news, pool, magic, chess, gaming, all kinds of sports. You really feel like you're part of what the kids are doing, whether it's preparing for Dragon Boat races or marathons or science fairs. Also, if you're not into teaching English you have the chance to teach Maths or Social Studies or any other subject if you're qualified in that field.
I loved my buxiban time, but I am very happy where I'm at now (private school).
Forumosan avatar
twonavels
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby creztor » 05 May 2012, 18:23

Sorry, I was referring to local wages compared to the "foreign" teacher. Yeah, cram school/buxiban.
headhonchoII wrote:I taught in cram schools before (do you mean buxibans?). Anyway easy work it was not in many cases. It's also not inflated wages.
creztor

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Previous

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan