How can i teach my wife English in our home?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: How can i teach my wife English in our home?

Postby PigBloodCake » 29 Apr 2012, 11:24

Abacus wrote:
PigBloodCake wrote:
And she'll make him do everything...I mean *everything* (take her to the damn doctor/dentist/fill in the blank cuz she can't explain her symptom, issue(s), etc).

That's how I f***'n lived in the States before moving back to the 'wan.

I feel for the OP.

Isn't this how how it works for foreigners in Taiwan with local gf's/bf's?

Yeah but you folks are on the *receiving* end of the gratuity.

Try it from the other side once in a while (and during work days to boot).....oh and add the inconvenience in the West (driving for miles, short doctor/dentist/fill in the blank office hours, etc) and you'll get my picture.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 29 Apr 2012, 11:28

mups wrote:Not sure about any advice I can give you here, but if you move to an English speaking country, she'll have no choice but to learn English quickly because she'll be surrounded by it.

BBBBSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! Trust me on this (think Chinatown).

The rate of learning is exponential when you have no choice. The key of course is to not babysit her and give her a choice/out if you end up living elsewhere.

Yeah, a divorce.

The OP's SOLed, I'm afraid.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 29 Apr 2012, 11:30

PigBloodCake wrote:
Yeah but you folks are on the *receiving* end of the gratuity.

Try it from the other side once in a while (and during work days to boot).....oh and add the inconvenience in the West (driving for miles, short doctor/dentist/fill in the blank office hours, etc) and you'll get my picture.

Kind of my point...
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 29 Apr 2012, 11:52

OP why do you want your spouse to learn English?? If you move back to England one day??? Cross the bridge when it comes.

IF she is saying her English is not improving tell her 'go improve it honey or stop cribbing'.

Seriously, enjoy your life in the 'Wan as you should. Having a wife who speaks good Engrrish or whose English has improved after marriage may be a source of pride for some, but really it shouldn't be. If you wanted a fluent English speaking, pizza eating, Cricket or Baseball appreciating wife you would have married a person from your own country, no???

Listen to Sandman, DROP IT!
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby mups » 29 Apr 2012, 12:12

PigBloodCake wrote:
mups wrote:Not sure about any advice I can give you here, but if you move to an English speaking country, she'll have no choice but to learn English quickly because she'll be surrounded by it.

BBBBSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! Trust me on this (think Chinatown).

The rate of learning is exponential when you have no choice. The key of course is to not babysit her and give her a choice/out if you end up living elsewhere.

Yeah, a divorce.

The OP's SOLed, I'm afraid.

ha..what can I say..I'm giving his wife benefit of the doubt and assuming a grown woman won't go out of her way to isolate herself and cling to her language like a toddler to a blanket.

In the end, it's simply much easier to become fluent in a situation like that. Access to new friends and people, and independence.

So OP, uh, just move as far away from Chinatown as possible if there's any kind of concern. But my main point is to make it clear early on if you are planning to move back home, that she's going to have to assimilate there, no buts about it. No sense in postponing the agony if there is to be some.
mups
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

15 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 29 Apr 2012, 13:42

From my own family experience:

Look, I tried teaching, coaching, pulling my brothers and sister into English while I was still at home. I tried drilling into their brains that this was useful stuff. Did they listen? No. So what happened? After I left and they realized they needed English as a working tool, they all had to start the hard road without any help. No more big sister to help them with their homework. Currently, only the smallest is fluent, and God knows he was the one I was the hardest with, I feel guilty, but it worked.

So, until your wife really needs it, she won't be motivated enough.If she does not have the desire, the need, it is easier to keep a basic level. As they have said, talk to her in English -it is better for the kids, too, one parent talking in English, one in Mandarin.

I coached my father when he went for his PhD and had to take exams in English. Afterwards, he continued on and off on his own, and now he can hold a basic conversation, which is quite useful since he lives in a touristic town and now he has to ferry my US uncles around when they visit by himself, no more extra help from me. These interactions helped him reach a better level. maybe when family comes over you can also delegate responsibilities to your wife, she can see by herself how and where her extra language skills can become useful.

With my mom I gave up, she always relied on me as translator since I was 6, and simply did not want to start, doesn't want to start, same as with driving since when I left, she ended without her chauffeur -me- but with a perfectly running car in the garage. Same with computers. Her case is an example of "you can take the horse to water" as she's the one who has traveled more times abroad of all the family and stayed the longest in the US yet simply does not want to learn. She can go shopping by herself, and that is all she cares about, then grows bored as she cannot even watch TV. :roll: But it's her choice. So respect your wife if that is her choice. many people here live in Taiwan and do not learn the language. How useful or interesting your wife finds English depends on her. maybe you can entice her with some magazines or TV program she likes. that is all I can think of.

Finally, some people say you should not teach family, like back home they say a husband should not try teaching a wife how to drive. maybe she will listen to an outsider more. remarkably, the best English teacher my brother had was a coworker of mine, whose level of English, honestly speaking, is lower than mine, but she is an excellent educator, can explain things better in a more entertaining way that I could ever do. I helped her land that job and I am now glad I did. My brother listened to her more than he would ever listen to me. And took homework more seriously. So maybe you can talk your wife into some tutorial, with someone you know?
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

710 Recommends(s)
564 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan