Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Guy (with ARC) Married to Taiwanese, english teacher requirements

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Guy (with ARC) Married to Taiwanese, english teacher requirements

Postby NYC » 29 Apr 2012, 23:45

Hi guys,

My friend has been married to a Taiwanese local for five years and lives in Taiwan with her. He is a very experienced english teacher but with no degree at all. He has a work permit (ARC) as he is married in Taiwan.

Most of the material he has read involves regulation around 'work permits' to teach english and believes that these laws may not completely apply to him as he already has a work permit (ARC) form being married to a local.

He wants to teach english in either a school OR freelance on his own. He is happy to freelance.

His understanding is that there is no regulation on the freelance english teaching, either way he believes having a work permit already makes this whole issue less complicated.

Either way, he does not want to break any laws in Taiwan.

Given his different circumstances, can he freelance without needing to meet the minimum 'degree' requirements?
Maybe even work in a school?

What is the law on this subject? What can he do? Any thoughts?

Lyndon
NYC
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Guy (with ARC) Married to Taiwanese, english teacher requirements

Postby zender » 29 Apr 2012, 23:50

I wouldn't worry about your friend.

If he's already a very experienced English teacher, he obviously knows how to find work.

How did your friend get so much experience with no degree?

Ask your friend if he has a JFRV (Joining Family Residence Visa).
zender
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

82 Recommends(s)
114 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 29 Apr 2012, 23:54

Also if you have been married to a local for five years, then you'll know the score regarding where you can work.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby NYC » 29 Apr 2012, 23:59

zender wrote:I wouldn't worry about your friend.

If he's already a very experienced English teacher, he obviously knows how to find work.

How did your friend get so much experience with no degree?

Ask your friend if he has a JFRV (Joining Family Residence Visa).

Hi Zender,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate you giving me your thoughts.

I am not so concerned about him getting work, that should be easy. It is more the 'legality' of the situation.

I will ask him about the JFRV...does that change the legal situation in this case?
NYC

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby NYC » 30 Apr 2012, 00:01

Super Hans wrote:Also if you have been married to a local for five years, then you'll know the score regarding where you can work.

Fair enough assumption mate, he doesnt really know the full legal scene, he has tried to read the legislation given the mystery in this area but cant decipher it to well, its apparently a bit ambiguous. He hasn't been teaching english for quite a while so its not been on his radar.
NYC

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby zender » 30 Apr 2012, 00:05

I think with the JFRV, he can legally work at a lot of places.
Of course, he still can't legally work at kindergartens, and many schools would prefer to see a university diploma . . .
zender

82 Recommends(s)
114 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 30 Apr 2012, 00:29

I think as with Kindergarten, he could possibly get a fine. However, he wouldn't be deported having a visa through marriage. The kindergarten would have to foot a hefty bill though.
If I were you, I'd get your friend to register and post here himself if you or he thinks that the responses here will be of value, and then he could outline his difficulties more accurately instead of through a third party, and he could also respond concisely to other posters' advice. Information gets distorted through middlemen.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby NYC » 30 Apr 2012, 00:51

Hi Zender,

My buddy is unable to post on the net right now which I why I am helping him, I will suggest he get involved as soon he can. I am just a very sincere friend trying to help him.

I have confirmed he DOES have a JFRV

I have found more data here:

http://www.tainanbulletin.com/chat/jfrv ... eeded/1133

It would appear form this post that he still needs to qualify as a teacher to teach in a school, although as mentioned he cant get deported, maybe just the employer could get in trouble.

This leaves him in the position where he wants to 'Freeleance' - which is his preference anyways.......

Its certainly a puzzle, but I think we are little closer to getting this question answered.....

Thoughts on freelancing for him with an JFRV.......

Again I appreciate your help where possible..
Lyndon
NYC

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan