Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Have to ask: why do people come to Taiwan to be teachers?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Have to ask: why do people come to Taiwan to be teachers?

Postby Omniloquacious » 28 Jun 2012, 12:10

steelersman wrote:However what is the point of coming to Taiwan to work that hard? Why not just stay in your home country and work hard?

Some people like living in Taiwan.

Ironlady's a pretty good example. If she could have got PR with an open work permit here, she might well have opted to stay rather than moving back to the US. And with her skill set, I'm sure she could easily rake in 200k a month from interpreting, translating and various other kinds of work.

One quite lucrative source of income for people like her is working as a conference aide. I've done that a few times in the past, attending international conferences, keeping a record of discussions, and churning out short speeches, summaries, proposals and so forth for the minister or whoever's in the chair to deliver at various stages of the proceedings. I've never been paid less than 25k a day for that, even when the meetings only lasted half a day. The first time I ever did one, well over 15 years ago, I was paid 80k (cash in hand) for just 2.5 days work. If you're working as a translator or interpreter, and are otherwise sufficiently qualified, opportunities for stuff like that are often going to be tossed your way.

However, as I've said before, I'm well and truly in the camp of those who value time far above income. You do have to work hard to earn 200k a month, and I'm not interested in working that hard, so I very seldom earn anywhere near that much, especially now that I have a small kid to whom I want to devote as much of my time as possible. These days, I'm well content to earn 100k a month while keeping a high proportion of my time free from work. Hello carpe diem, goodbye carpe argentum. I'd rather be living for the day than living for the pay, and am pretty sure as to which is the more enriching.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

Postby Enigma » 28 Jun 2012, 18:17

We move here to drink, fornicate, tour and have other forms of fun. Why in the hell would anybody come to Taiwan to teach but for those reasons. America is crying for teachers.
EDIT: Apologies. I am being too flipant. Teaching here in the right school is a damned rewarding experience. You will leave, probably sooner than you now contemplate, with a better multi-cultural understanding and be a better teacher when you arrive home.
Sorry. I'm just being pissy today.
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

Postby tomthorne » 28 Jun 2012, 20:05

Enigma wrote:We move here to drink, fornicate, tour and have other forms of fun. Why in the hell would anybody come to Taiwan to teach but for those reasons. America is crying for teachers.
EDIT: Apologies. I am being too flipant. Teaching here in the right school is a damned rewarding experience. You will leave, probably sooner than you now contemplate, with a better multi-cultural understanding and be a better teacher when you arrive home.
Sorry. I'm just being pissy today.

I think you were right first time. If the learning environment is good then it's a bonus.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby TheGingerMan » 28 Jun 2012, 21:17

steelersman wrote: However what is the point of coming to Taiwan to work that hard? Why not just stay in your home country and work hard?

Why not just work hard anywhere one hangs one's hat?
It's a bit of an ethic, I must admit.
And most certainly some places pay off better than others. Some places are populated by a mass of middlemanish outright greedy hacking gougers, with very poor situational ethics.
My next venture on that fold will entail some immersion in the shitty, to avail fundage for the fortified rural compound, one with enough space to wheel the cavalry unto the exposed flank, and ride those interlopers down!
HuZZaH!
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"It shall rain for forty days and forty nights, until your vile odour is cleansed."
~~~jimipresley
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby Puppet » 29 Jun 2012, 21:18

Isha wrote:Hi,

I am curious, why do, after having professional education from excellent Universities, people come to Taiwan for being teachers? What it is that attracts so much about this place that these young grads leave their whole expertise/education behind to teach here?

I would like to clear that I am not trying to offend the teachers or telling that the profession is bad. I am just curious about the career choice they make, which I find (v.) odd.

Thanks.

A passion of mine is teaching and child development. So here I am doing that.

I do children's shows regularly. I perform adult comedy shows as well.

I get to teach kids how to write their own stories and discover their creative side. There is something magical that happens once students open up and begin to see that they have something to offer of themselves.

I also look at what IS going on in America. I can't afford to pay 1/5 of my salary to insurance I'll rarely use. Right now, I am sitting down to eat. I already bought 2 beers. I bought a fried rice. I bought some Kung Pao Chicken. I probably spent more tonight on my meal already than I did on my health insurance. (Friday's my night to pig out).

This month, I realized I paid my taxes late. My penalty? $12 NT. The government can't even buy a Coca-Cola on the penalty I had to pay.

I don't get sick often. But I had to hit the ER once when I woke up and my eye felt horrible. Pink eye. Medicine + ER visit = $700. Beat a $21 US co-pay back home.

You ask why come here? I ask why go back!?
Puppet
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby bigduke6 » 29 Jun 2012, 21:29

It is often a lifestyle choice and not a career choice.
I made a lifestyle choice. I had a high paying job, flying around the world with all the trimmings.
Probably would have had a heart attack at 50, no family, no free time etc.

I know many posters have made a similar choice.

The misconception is that people come here who are minimum wage losers back home. Taiwan being a sort of social security for dumb whitey.

I have yet to actual meet one of these.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
bigduke6
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

Postby steelersman » 29 Jun 2012, 21:53

bigduke6 wrote:It is often a lifestyle choice and not a career choice.
I made a lifestyle choice. I had a high paying job, flying around the world with all the trimmings.
Probably would have had a heart attack at 50, no family, no free time etc.

I know many posters have made a similar choice.

The misconception is that people come here who are minimum wage losers back home. Taiwan being a sort of social security for dumb whitey.

Bigduke6, I wonder if those types of minimum wage losers could even survive living in Taiwan?
steelersman

Postby tomthorne » 29 Jun 2012, 23:42

bigduke6 wrote:

Come on, there are a fair few. They don't tend to last very long, though. The ones who make it over here usually have something about them.
tomthorne

Postby Chris » 29 Jun 2012, 23:46

Taiwan offers a very good balance between income vs. living expenses.

Thailand is cheap, but wages are crap.
Japan offers high wages, but it's a stupidly expensive place to live.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Jun 2012, 00:14

Not only that, places like Japan are stricter regarding foreign residents and difficult to rent houses etc. Everything costs more too as mentioned already.
In Taiwan you can still get away with a hell of a lot of 'complacency to the rules' and the government, although we all like to moan, have made it a lot easier to live here over the last few years, as long as you can get an ARC and it's not that hard to get one. Health insurance, safety and general welcoming to foreigners is pretty damn good once you can get past the culture shock and crowding in places.
Although I just got back from a week in China and Taiwan doesn't know the meaning of chaos and crowding compared to the train stations over there, as an example.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan