Using "neither" after negative modals

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Using "neither" after negative modals

Postby lostinasia » 02 May 2012, 16:35

Incubus wrote:
lostinasia wrote:
Incubus wrote:And then there's the all-time mistake committed by English native speakers -- Me neither. :no-no:

Hold on - what? So should we say "Me either"? Or do you mean "Neither do I"?

Well, I'd always thought "me either" was the correct way until I saw your post. So I looked it up. And what do you know.

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/meeither.html

I stand corrected. :oops:

Note that this has been gone into before:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 35&t=98380
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... &p=1155747
I doubt much of a conclusion has ever been reached, however.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

61 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Jack » 03 May 2012, 19:04

lostinasia wrote:
Incubus wrote:
lostinasia wrote:
Incubus wrote:And then there's the all-time mistake committed by English native speakers -- Me neither. :no-no:

Hold on - what? So should we say "Me either"? Or do you mean "Neither do I"?

Well, I'd always thought "me either" was the correct way until I saw your post. So I looked it up. And what do you know.

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/meeither.html

I stand corrected. :oops:

Note that this has been gone into before:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 35&t=98380
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... &p=1155747
I doubt much of a conclusion has ever been reached, however.

In these kinds of matters, I think it is of little moment whether we form a conclusion. All that matters is that we persevere in our ascent until we finally reach the peak of Mount Chickens***. From that commanding position, victory will be assured, and the learners' fluency levels will be catapulted into the stratosphere!
When things go well for days on end, it is an hilarious accident.
--Kurt Vonnegut, letter to his daughter Nannette
Charlie Jack
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

1175 Recommends(s)
205 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 03 May 2012, 19:14

Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby ehophi » 05 May 2012, 18:40

Dragonbones wrote:

What about this?
Sally: The dog didn't bite me.
Bob: Me neither.

His gripe, I think, is that "Me, neither!" isn't strictly an sentence because it doesn't have a verb, but in context it's a sensible ellipsis.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

54 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 05 May 2012, 20:25

Charlie Jack wrote:If it's a sin, it seems to be a member of your better class of sins.

The practice of infant baptism was barely commended; and the article on the Lord's Supper expressly affirmed that a faithful believer ought not either believe in or openly confess the real presence and that transubstantiation was an impossibility.
--The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Reformation, Volume 1

Since nobody's pointed this out, 'ought not' is short for 'ought not to' and therefore can be followed by 'either'.

Neither comes from not + either and therefore those too words shouldn't be placed together. If there's something breaking it up it's okay.

'should not' can't be followed by 'either' because not+either = neither. There's no invisible 'to' to break it up.

Or at least, this is what the invisible men in my head are telling me. Perhaps someone a bit more learned in linguistics or etymology could chip in.
tsukinodeynatsu

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 05 May 2012, 23:05

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:
Charlie Jack wrote:If it's a sin, it seems to be a member of your better class of sins.

The practice of infant baptism was barely commended; and the article on the Lord's Supper expressly affirmed that a faithful believer ought not either believe in or openly confess the real presence and that transubstantiation was an impossibility.

Since nobody's pointed this out, 'ought not' is short for 'ought not to' and therefore can be followed by 'either'.

Neither comes from not + either and therefore those too words shouldn't be placed together. If there's something breaking it up it's okay.

'should not' can't be followed by 'either' because not+either = neither. There's no invisible 'to' to break it up.

Or at least, this is what the invisible men in my head are telling me. Perhaps someone a bit more learned in linguistics or etymology could chip in.

We need some clever chap to get onto a corpus and check the numbers. I have a feeling, for example, that the usage of "should not" which "can't" be followed by "either" may be quite high.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Jack » 07 May 2012, 21:41

tomthorne wrote:
tsukinodeynatsu wrote:

. . . get onto a corpus and check the numbers.

I couldn't find anything in the British National Corpus, and a search in Google Books gets cluttered by constructions such as "should not either jointly or separately," "should not either directly or indirectly," and the like. But I persist in thinking good users of English use this sort of construction from time to time.

For example:

When going anywhere with her husband, she should put on her ornaments, and without his consent she should not either give or accept invitations, or attend marriages and sacrifices, or sit in the company of female friends, or visit the temples of the Gods.
--Vatsyayana, The Kama Sutra, translated from Sanskrit by Sir Richard Francis Burton http://tinyurl.com/Vatsyayana-Burton

Here's part of what Wikipedia has to say about Sir Richard Francis Burton:
Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton KCMG FRGS (19 March 1821 – 20 October 1890) was a British geographer, explorer, translator, writer, soldier, orientalist, cartographer, ethnologist, spy, linguist, poet, fencer and diplomat. He was known for his travels and explorations within Asia, Africa and the Americas as well as his extraordinary knowledge of languages and cultures. According to one count, he spoke 29 European, Asian and African languages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Francis_Burton

Such a transnationalist view should not either trivialise or detract from distinctive Irish dynamics and phenomena; on the contrary it should help us to understand just how significant they were.
--Edward Madigan and John Horne, "Ireland in the Decade of the Great War, 1912 – 1923: Towards Commemoration," Monaco, 20 – 22 October 2011, Conference Report http://tinyurl.com/Madigan-Horne

Edward Madigan is Resident Historian at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC). He is a graduate of University College Dublin and Trinity College, where he was awarded a Ph.D. in 2007. His broad research interests include religious faith and identity in modern Britain, the British and Irish experience and memory of the Great War, and British understandings of battlefield courage and cowardice during the first half of the twentieth century.
--From the website of Trinity College Dublin, Centre for War Studies http://www.tcd.ie/warstudies/members/

John Horne is Professor of Modern European History, Trinity College Dublin, and was the first Director of the Centre for War Studies, 2008-2010.He is a member of the Executive Board of the Research Centre of the Historial de la Grande Guerre, Péronne. He also serves on the advisory boards of the Mémorial de Verdun and the Liberty Memorial National World War One Museum in Kansas City. He is the author of several books and over seventy chapters and articles, many relating to the history of war.
--Ibid.

Even now we must recognise that the Government must not either do or seem to do anything which will impair the Press in its free collection of news or in its free expression of views.
--Parliamentary Debates: House of Commons Official Report (1947) http://tinyurl.com/Parl-Debates
Charlie Jack

1175 Recommends(s)
205 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 07 May 2012, 23:21

Hey, way to go for presenting English as a modern, dynamic language! It's neither modern nor dynamic in ANY of your examples.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Jack » 08 May 2012, 13:18

urodacus wrote:Hey, way to go for presenting English as a modern, dynamic language! It's neither modern nor dynamic in ANY of your examples.

I apologize for using mostly British English examples, but I thought doing so might reduce the likelihood of raising a collateral controversy.
Charlie Jack

1175 Recommends(s)
205 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Grammar, Usage and Pronunciation