Time in Taiwan, Tax and teaching

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Time in Taiwan, Tax and teaching

Postby Distressed » 05 May 2012, 16:56

I am a teacher in a public school in Taiwan. I have a low tax rate now - about 5% - and I have been told that in order to keep that low tax rate that I have to stay in Taiwan for 183 days during the contracted time in 2012, i.e. 1/1 to (about) 7/15 I have been told by some people that that opinion is not correct, that if I continue to stay in TW after the date of my contract, I can count those days also...can someone explain this to me in simple terms? How/when is the 183 days (or whatever) calculated?

My main concern: I would like to to go Shanghai to attend a graduation of some students that I taught in 2009. It is almost impossible to get an early flight out of TW. Getting a late flight out the night before is the only way...

??
Distressed
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Time in Taiwan, Tax and teaching

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 05 May 2012, 20:26

Check out the tax forum, there's a sticky on the resident taxrate stuff.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby afterspivak » 05 May 2012, 21:57

The key issue with taxation is the amount of days you spend in Taiwan during the taxation year: 1 January to 31 December of the relevant year. If you have the magic 183 days, then you will be taxed on a progressive scale; if you don't, then you will be taxed at a much less favorable flat rate (I believe it's 20%--though thankfully I have not dealt with this since my first year in Taiwan).

I hope this helps.

Guy
afterspivak
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

102 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Distressed » 05 May 2012, 23:44

My contract is Jan 1 to July 15..more than 183 days...but I had to leave the country for a couple of weeks...so I think I am short. I am going to be hired again for next year...does that make any difference?
Distressed

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Abacus » 06 May 2012, 01:49

Distressed wrote:My contract is Jan 1 to July 15..more than 183 days...but I had to leave the country for a couple of weeks...so I think I am short. I am going to be hired again for next year...does that make any difference?

You're ok. they count the total number of days during the year (1/1 to 12/31) regardless if you are on a contract or not.
Abacus
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

107 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Distressed » 06 May 2012, 07:07

Phew! :bravo:

Abacus wrote:
Distressed wrote:My contract is Jan 1 to July 15..more than 183 days...but I had to leave the country for a couple of weeks...so I think I am short. I am going to be hired again for next year...does that make any difference?

You're ok. they count the total number of days during the year (1/1 to 12/31) regardless if you are on a contract or not.
Distressed

ORIGINAL POSTER

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan