29 y/o doctor moving to TW. Medical education jobs? Other ideas?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: 29 y/o doctor moving to TW. Medical education jobs? Other ideas?

Postby Teddoman » 12 May 2012, 21:43

ironlady wrote:The OP might be a top candidate to get a job teaching English at a medical school, but not for teaching medicine. I doubt anyone in the US would hire someone fresh out of residency to be a professor of medicine, and Taiwan would be the same -- plus the OP doesn't speak Chinese (I am assuming) which is another downside for a lecture-based position. And believe me (been there done that) -- teaching English at a medical school has very little to do with medicine and everything to do with remedial English, just like everywhere else.

Medical teaching positions are not like regular professorships. Medicine professors are just regular doctors who teach a class or two as part of their duties. The only reason they're professors is they're employed at a teaching hospital. Though teaching hospitals hire people who have research backgrounds and career advancement is linked to research.

So in the US, assistant professors or lecturers actually can just be residents fresh out of residency. But anyone who has finished residency is a full doctor. In fact, I think they are full doctors upon completion of med school.
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 261
Joined: 03 Jan 2005, 00:31
12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)



Re: 29 y/o doctor moving to TW. Medical education jobs? Other ideas?

Postby Dr. McCoy » 12 May 2012, 21:53

I wonder what this weird thing on my arm is.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 10298
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 12:41
Location: New Taipei City, Yonghe District
146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)



Re: 29 y/o doctor moving to TW. Medical education jobs? Other ideas?

Postby ironlady » 12 May 2012, 23:32

Teddoman wrote:
ironlady wrote:The OP might be a top candidate to get a job teaching English at a medical school, but not for teaching medicine. I doubt anyone in the US would hire someone fresh out of residency to be a professor of medicine, and Taiwan would be the same -- plus the OP doesn't speak Chinese (I am assuming) which is another downside for a lecture-based position. And believe me (been there done that) -- teaching English at a medical school has very little to do with medicine and everything to do with remedial English, just like everywhere else.

Medical teaching positions are not like regular professorships. Medicine professors are just regular doctors who teach a class or two as part of their duties. The only reason they're professors is they're employed at a teaching hospital. Though teaching hospitals hire people who have research backgrounds and career advancement is linked to research.

So in the US, assistant professors or lecturers actually can just be residents fresh out of residency. But anyone who has finished residency is a full doctor. In fact, I think they are full doctors upon completion of med school.


Sure, but just wondering why, in a country full of Ph.Ds and foreign-educated professionals and doctors out of Tai-Da, a medical school would hire a foreigner who can't speak the local language and is a new graduate. I would guess the competition would be overwhelming for such a person. There is unlikely to be much value placed on the "native English speaker" part of his resume (unless they hope to get a free editor for the institution, of course...)
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)
 
Posts: 8369
Joined: 13 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
321 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987



Re: 29 y/o doctor moving to TW. Medical education jobs? Other ideas?

Postby Charlie Phillips » 12 May 2012, 23:42

Dr. McCoy wrote:I wonder what this weird thing on my arm is.


According to a peer-reviewed journal I read, you should chew it off before it spreads.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: 21 Nov 2005, 14:53
Location: Woods by name but now a city
83 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003



Re: 29 y/o doctor moving to TW. Medical education jobs? Other ideas?

Postby darienpeak » 13 May 2012, 00:37

jastevenson wrote:I am not looking for a patient care type of job. However, I hope to find something that will allow me to use my medical education more than a job teaching English to elementary school kids.


Hi jastevenson, good luck with your plans. What is your specialty? If you had training in dermatology, pathology or radiology, a telemedicine job covering overnight duties in the USA would be helpful to your colleagues back home. If you are a radiologist, send me a PM.

Perhaps your initial time in Taiwan would be best spent learning Mandarin, as opposed to working, presuming that you are not yet fluent. If you are already fluent, you could attempt the Taiwanese board exams so long as you meet their eligibility requirements. If you are badly in debt, do a few locum tenens positions in the USA before you come.

Taiwanese medical trainees may be interested in sitting for the American licensing exams, but likely have had few opportunities to learn about the them from someone who has been through the process. You could introduce yourself to your Taiwanese colleagues by preparing some mock exams for their medical students and residents and helping them with board preparation. Even practice for the USMLE would probably be welcomed.
Forumosan avatar
darienpeak
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
 
Posts: 109
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 04:31
21 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)



Re: 29 y/o doctor moving to TW. Medical education jobs? Other ideas?

Postby Dr. McCoy » 13 May 2012, 12:03

Charlie Phillips wrote:
Dr. McCoy wrote:I wonder what this weird thing on my arm is.


According to a peer-reviewed journal I read, you should chew it off before it spreads.

It will be nice to have some more doctors around. That's all I'm saying.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 10298
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 12:41
Location: New Taipei City, Yonghe District
146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)



Re: 29 y/o doctor moving to TW. Medical education jobs? Other ideas?

Postby steelersman » 13 May 2012, 12:31

jastevenson wrote:Hi!

I'm a board-certified American physician recently out of training.

I enjoy medicine, but after 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 4 years of residency (working for 80-100 hours per week), I am looking for both a change of pace and a change of scenery.

I will be moving to Taiwan in July.

Any tips on a finding a part-time (10-20 hours/week) teaching or non-teaching job in Taiwan?

I am not looking for a patient care type of job. However, I hope to find something that will allow me to use my medical education more than a job teaching English to elementary school kids.

Thank you in advance!



Unless you are applying for a job to teach medical English, I would not mention to perspective employers that you are a board-certified American physician or you will never get a job.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
 
Posts: 1997
Joined: 30 Aug 2007, 03:58
10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)



Re: 29 y/o doctor moving to TW. Medical education jobs? Other ideas?

Postby steelersman » 13 May 2012, 12:37

jastevenson wrote:Hi!

I'm a board-certified American physician recently out of training.

I enjoy medicine, but after 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 4 years of residency (working for 80-100 hours per week), I am looking for both a change of pace and a change of scenery.

I will be moving to Taiwan in July.

Any tips on a finding a part-time (10-20 hours/week) teaching or non-teaching job in Taiwan?

I am not looking for a patient care type of job. However, I hope to find something that will allow me to use my medical education more than a job teaching English to elementary school kids.

Thank you in advance!



Maybe you should applying for a job as an editor with a company. However then you would be required to work a full 40 hours a week for 55,000NT a month.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
 
Posts: 1997
Joined: 30 Aug 2007, 03:58
10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)



Re: 29 y/o doctor moving to TW. Medical education jobs? Other ideas?

Postby Ducked » 13 May 2012, 23:54

steelersman wrote:
Unless you are applying for a job to teach medical English, I would not mention to perspective employers that you are a board-certified American physician or you will never get a job.


Dunno. If they're perspective employers, theres some prospect that they'd want a medical perspective.

EDIT: Sorry. Bad day proof reading, etc. though I know that's no excuse. :oops: ENDEDIT.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: 09 Feb 2006, 16:46
9 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)



Re: 29 y/o doctor moving to TW. Medical education jobs? Other ideas?

Postby ChewDawg » 14 May 2012, 00:46

I hope I don't come across as rude when I say this but "wake the hell up!" You have the gift to save lives and to heal. People have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in your medical education.

Give back to society but not by throwing sticky balls in the classroom!
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!

This post was recommended by jimipresley (14 May 2012, 01:25)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1367
Joined: 06 Sep 2011, 10:27
110 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 visitor

Why always "not yet"? Do flowers in spring say "not yet" -- NORMAN DOUGLAS