Taiwanese Teach-a-Me-Engoolish Television Programs

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Taiwanese Teach-a-Me-Engoolish Television Programs

Postby ehophi » 23 May 2012, 12:48

Chris wrote:
ehophi wrote:That's a thick Southern twang for an American TV co-host, isn't it?

:eek: Damn! You're not kidding! Quite the drawl! :lol:

Not that there's anything wrong with a strong Southern accent; I just think it may be a bit confusing to Taiwanese learners.

Fortunately, as was pointed out, this is a lesson on how to translate, not how to learn English.


I'm at a loss over who would want to study translation at 5:30AM.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1381
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 06 Oct 2010, 04:59
Location: Tai-to-the-muthaluvin'-bei
54 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwanese Teach-a-Me-Engoolish Television Programs

Postby Confuzius » 23 May 2012, 16:44

ehophi wrote:
Chris wrote:
ehophi wrote:That's a thick Southern twang for an American TV co-host, isn't it?

:eek: Damn! You're not kidding! Quite the drawl! :lol:

Not that there's anything wrong with a strong Southern accent; I just think it may be a bit confusing to Taiwanese learners.

Fortunately, as was pointed out, this is a lesson on how to translate, not how to learn English.


I'm at a loss over who would want to study translation at 5:30AM.


International coke/tweek/speed dealers?
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1530
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 08:09
113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwanese Teach-a-Me-Engoolish Television Programs

Postby Puppet » 23 May 2012, 17:34

Confuzius wrote:
ehophi wrote:
Chris wrote:
ehophi wrote:That's a thick Southern twang for an American TV co-host, isn't it?

:eek: Damn! You're not kidding! Quite the drawl! :lol:

Not that there's anything wrong with a strong Southern accent; I just think it may be a bit confusing to Taiwanese learners.

Fortunately, as was pointed out, this is a lesson on how to translate, not how to learn English.


I'm at a loss over who would want to study translation at 5:30AM.


International coke/tweek/speed dealers?


The Korean lady would be happy. International coke is her favorite kind.
Forumosan avatar
Puppet
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: 06 Nov 2006, 18:14
Location: Changhua
60 Recommends(s)
32 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwanese Teach-a-Me-Engoolish Television Programs

Postby Chris » 24 May 2012, 00:11

ehophi wrote:I'm at a loss over who would want to study translation at 5:30AM.

Happens when you're overseas... time zones 'n all...
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 15064
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 15:51
Location: Type-A, Tie-one-on
96 Recommends(s)
218 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwanese Teach-a-Me-Engoolish Television Programs

Postby ehophi » 26 May 2012, 06:17

Chris wrote:
ehophi wrote:I'm at a loss over who would want to study translation at 5:30AM.

Happens when you're overseas... time zones 'n all...


But I'm in Taiwan, and the captions are all in Traditional, so I assumed that it was a local program.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1381
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 06 Oct 2010, 04:59
Location: Tai-to-the-muthaluvin'-bei
54 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwanese Teach-a-Me-Engoolish Television Programs

Postby Tony the Tiger » 05 Jun 2012, 15:57

Puppet wrote:That was a great dialog. I also got to learn where the computer voices came from.

Here's another gem of English teaching from Korea:



LMFAO :roflmao:

Do you have cock? I want cock. Please give me cock.

Maybe she can add these to her lesson:
What color is cock? Cock is black. I want black cock.
Born in Taiwan. Grew up in California. Graduated from Cal. State Fullerton in 2008. Studied Chinese for 3 semesters at Shi-Da. Decided to live in Taiwan so I joined the Taiwanese army as 替代役.

Full-time poker player.

This post was recommended by Puppet (15 Jun 2012, 11:47)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
Tony the Tiger
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 316
Joined: 23 Sep 2008, 19:30
Location: Taipei
3 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous




Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 visitor

We are always getting ready to live but never living -- RALPH WALDO EMERSON