Tetjobs.com Recruiter

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Tetjobs.com Recruiter

Postby green_lyph » 23 May 2012, 12:22

Hey,

I've searched around for reviews of this recruiter. I'm wondering what folks think of the website. They charge 300 USD for services which include finding another job if the school does not hold up its end of the contract, also they speak chinese which would help with contract details. http://www.taiwanenglishteachingjobs.com/

I'm curious what you people think. Please, do not be too hard on me, I've done my research but I'm also a newb to TESL, TESOL, TEFL. :ponder:

: :s I've had inteviews with KNS, in taiwan and a school on Jeju islands in Korea, and been in contact with various programs including the EPIK program.

Taiwan is my main interest though and it seems right now to find work its possible that schools are only hiring because people are quiting, which seems like a bad sign to me. Should I wait til september? I'm not interested in flying to Taiwan to look for work. I know everyone recommends doing that but its not within my comfort zone.

So, I'm stuck with various offers being thrown my way (a Rd position, kindergarden in Hsinchu, or a part time in Kaohsiung) - I'm looking for a town like Tainan, with some western folks, full time, elementary. I don't want to work 'illegal', even if its socially acceptable or whatnot.

merci,
John
green_lyph
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Tetjobs.com Recruiter

Postby bigduke6 » 23 May 2012, 12:37

As far as my experience goes, both teaching and working in other fields, an applicant should not pay the recruiting agency 1 cent.

The employer should be the one to pay, as they are looking for staff.

Employer calls agency and tells them the requirments, agency finds a candidate, if candidate is acceptable agency gets paid.

Any agency requiring the applicant to pay a fee, raises a BIG red flag IMHO. :thumbsdown:
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 23 May 2012, 12:40

No way. Why would you pay someone $300? If schools aren't willing to pay for the recruitment fees, it means that the supply of teachers is higher than the demand.

If you are not willing to go to Tainan in person to find a job, Tainan (and Taiwan in general) is probably not a good place for you since you don't have enough appetite for risk. That means you like things set up, planned, and certain. You won't find that in Taiwan. Good luck.

green_lyph wrote:Hey,

I've searched around for reviews of this recruiter. I'm wondering what folks think of the website. They charge 300 USD for services which include finding another job if the school does not hold up its end of the contract, also they speak chinese which would help with contract details. http://www.taiwanenglishteachingjobs.com/

I'm curious what you people think. Please, do not be too hard on me, I've done my research but I'm also a newb to TESL, TESOL, TEFL. :ponder:

: :s I've had inteviews with KNS, in taiwan and a school on Jeju islands in Korea, and been in contact with various programs including the EPIK program.

Taiwan is my main interest though and it seems right now to find work its possible that schools are only hiring because people are quiting, which seems like a bad sign to me. Should I wait til september? I'm not interested in flying to Taiwan to look for work. I know everyone recommends doing that but its not within my comfort zone.

So, I'm stuck with various offers being thrown my way (a Rd position, kindergarden in Hsinchu, or a part time in Kaohsiung) - I'm looking for a town like Tainan, with some western folks, full time, elementary. I don't want to work 'illegal', even if its socially acceptable or whatnot.

merci,
John
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby TaiwanVisitor12321 » 23 May 2012, 17:25

Also keep in mind that kindergarten is illegal.

You'd never know it from talking to people in Taiwan, especially at the schools, but it is.
TaiwanVisitor12321
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

12 Recognized(s)

Postby green_lyph » 24 May 2012, 01:31

TaiwanVisitor12321 wrote:Also keep in mind that kindergarten is illegal.

You'd never know it from talking to people in Taiwan, especially at the schools, but it is.

I think that this is the most concerning part of the whole thing. He keeps being like, are you sure you don't want to do kindy? I'm like... gah.

Thanks folks, I guess my intution has been telling me that this recruiting thing isn't really worth it, but my mind says. You don't speak chinese.

What do you say to that? Why is it a red flag if someone charges you? Could it be that they are trying to nickle and dime you once you get to Taiwan.
I appreicate the comment about not being brave enough. Certainty is something that I deal with as a challenge regularly. That being said, the market in Taiwan is not as good as it used to be (or so I've heard) so coming to a country where I don't speak the language to find a job. Seems kind of sketchy.

THat being said, I realise that finding work via face-to-face interviews is much better.

thanks
green_lyph

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby dasmania » 24 May 2012, 02:48

Big scam them wanting money from you. Those guys make decent money every time they place a student, its in their interest to have your business way more than it is vice versa. Look around for recruiters or join one of the big schools that has branches. They are usually more hours and harder work imo, but I believe they usually set you up with help on arrival. Good luck
I used to think I was wasting my time teaching in Taiwan...after 6 months of unemployment back home I realized what wasting time truly is. Enjoy the moment.
dasmania

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby green_lyph » 26 May 2012, 00:19

dasmania wrote:Big scam them wanting money from you. Those guys make decent money every time they place a student, its in their interest to have your business way more than it is vice versa. Look around for recruiters or join one of the big schools that has branches. They are usually more hours and harder work imo, but I believe they usually set you up with help on arrival. Good luck

cool. I'm applying for a job through EPIK program in korea.

I wish I could go to Taiwan, but doesn't seem like there is much opportunities that pay well and are available for new grads without teaching degrees.

Thanks for your advice.
green_lyph

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ell_tee » 14 Jun 2012, 13:02

I know the guys who run this company (and I suspect that many expats do as well) and I will vouch for them. They found me work at a great place. They are completely above-board.

It might seem shady because they are charging, but it's a one-time thing and they have/strive to get quality schools and good teachers together.

The owners have been in TW for a decade. They know the business here. Due to their high profile in TW they have everything to lose if they screw you over and nothing to gain. They're Americans as well, so they know what it's like for foreigners working abroad.

BTW, I don't think they charge you if it doesn't work out.
ell_tee
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby sandman » 14 Jun 2012, 13:09

ell_tee wrote:It might seem shady because they are charging.

Nice little earner, though -- paid by the school, paid by the sucker. I wonder if they also try to gouge a bit of moolah out of the air carrier that brings the sucker over? :lol:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Isha » 14 Jun 2012, 13:15

Try to ask them more about the choices they will provide, for example, what if you do not like the school and would like to change job? Will they provide another option(s)? If they are making a long term commitment with you for 'job' then 300 USD is not a big price as the usual recruitment agencies only work to get you interview, not the job itself.
Isha
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan