Tetjobs.com Recruiter

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Tetjobs.com Recruiter

Postby ironlady » 16 Jun 2012, 09:11

TaiwanD wrote:With TET JOBS, schools and TEACHERS are our clients. Teachers pay us and we owe them a service. We strive to make it a good experience for schools and teachers.
If you don't pay a recruiter, they owe you nothing. What happens if the school does not hold up to their end of the deal? Who is going to be on your side? WE WILL BE.

So what happens when there is a conflict of interest between the teacher (who paid you) and the school (who also paid you)? Where is your loyalty? And which party paid more money? I'm betting it's the school...which tends in general to slant loyalties in that direction. The school is worth far more over the life of a contract or over a period of years than an individual teacher. That's just simple economics.

This sort of setup is called "dual agency" and is a very, very bad idea indeed, from the perspective of the teacher.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
63 Recommends(s)
251 Recognized(s)

Postby dasaint » 16 Jun 2012, 09:51

funkymonkey wrote:
TaiwanD wrote:I was not under the impression that matching quality teachers with Taiwan's leading schools was a bad thing.

It isn't. How you go about it is a different matter. The OP clearly stated that you were pushing him/her to take an illegal kindy job. That rubs me the wrong way.

TaiwanD wrote:Riding scooters, teaching without an ARC, flying overseas... life is full of risks.

:roll: Of course it is. However, none of those things will get a teacher deported, will they?

TaiwanD wrote:No matter how much good you do, there will always be negative feedback. period.

When you do negative things, you get negative feedback.

I get your point, but teaching without an ARC will get you deported. If you get caught that is.
I'm back!
Forumosan avatar
dasaint
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

8 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 17 Jun 2012, 19:34

This thread was starting to get interesting.

Come on TaiwanD, no replies yet?
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 17 Jun 2012, 21:13

bigduke6 wrote:This thread was starting to get interesting.

Come on TaiwanD, no replies yet?

I hate these Agencies in general. They are for spineless MF.
Just go looking for a job and if you can't do that, stay with papa and mama.
You don't have to work for agents.
The parents and especially the privates pay a certain amount per hour which then gets split up.

You agents want a piece of the cake? Go and teach! Suck it up yourself! The school's owner, the manager, the co-teacher, the children and the parents.
Forumosan avatar
Hamletintaiwan
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

5 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 18 Jun 2012, 11:36

I have no problem with employment agencies. Back home the are the only real way to get a professional position.
That being said, they adhere to a code of conduct. Any deviation will result in trouble for them.

Here, especially with teaching in is a free for all gang rape. There is zero professionalism, and even less ethics.

I would honestly expect more from a agency run by foreigners.
To claim to have 10 years experience and them state their is a loophole to teach kindy is ridiculousl.
I am sure Jt and Jd know that it is illegal. End of story.

Trying to justify your position where you offer illegal jobs to those who put their trust in you, is both unethical and not professional.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
fucks with the Jesus.

Gregory House

2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 18 Jun 2012, 13:50

Its not about ethics. Its about trying to make a buck. Ethics does not even enter the equation. Be AWARE, you guys. These people do NOT have your interests at heart.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 18 Jun 2012, 15:56

TaiwanD wrote:
Kindergartens illegal?
Yes. This is one of the few legal issue "loopholes" that can potentially be a risk. BUT remember that Kindergartens play a big role in Taiwan's English education system. Most schools have ways of dealing with this issue and take measures to protect their teachers. Many teachers have been teaching at kindergartens for years and never had any problems.

This statement reminded me about a thread from back in 2005 regarding how schools deal with this issue and the measures that they take to protect their teachers with their kindergarten "loophole" procedures. Excellent read and although it's from 7 years ago, the information contained within is still applicable and relevant today.

The story of my year at KOJEN
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby Toe Save » 18 Jun 2012, 16:37

I gladly pay my agent a handsome % of every gig I get. Business execs that use HeadHunters pay a fee for their service. I can totally see value in guys like tetjobs for the teacher that doesn't want to pound the pavement or throw their CV into the e-pile. If these guys can successfully place a potential teacher, then why shouldn't they collect a fee. As for loopholes, let's not kid ourselves. It happens everywhere, all the time. This is Taiwan and that's how the game is played. You guys are right in that a recruiter should not attempt to hide the fact that technically, the recruit is running a risk and I think these guys would adjust their placement opps to accommodate those not willing to take that chance. Just tell them you only want to work with adults. If they find you a gig, then you pay for the referral. Seems pretty simple to me.

This is a new business trying to help westerners cut through the miasma of crap FOBs need to navigate. Y'all have done well to keep them on their toes as far as being upfront about the hurdles, but let's not go overboard and scare away new businesses from using these boards, furthering that reputation of not being a very welcoming community. Give them a chance to respond, why don't we? Then we can engage them in civil debate, nu?

And to think I used to be one of the guys that would be first on the bandwagon to deride such venturists.

Toe Mellows
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

52 Recommends(s)
47 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 18 Jun 2012, 18:24

I did ask them if they explained the risk of teaching kindy to potential teachers, as well as the consequences if caught.
Never received an answer to this mail.

I have a major problem with them using the term loophole, where none exist.
fucks with the Jesus.

Gregory House

2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 18 Jun 2012, 20:53

Toe Save wrote:I gladly pay my agent a handsome % of every gig I get. Business execs that use HeadHunters pay a fee for their service. I can totally see value in guys like tetjobs for the teacher that doesn't want to pound the pavement or throw their CV into the e-pile. If these guys can successfully place a potential teacher, then why shouldn't they collect a fee.

I would love to have an agent to represent me in my professional endeavors - but why in the world would I want one that took money from me AND from the prospective client? And one that took far more money from the prospective client, thus meaning that its loyalty would likely be skewed in the client's direction, instead of in mine?

An agent represents one party. A dual agent represents both parties. Nothing wrong with an agent, if you like the price and you get the results you want. Dual agency is fraught with problems, and you can't rely on the "agent" serving you and not the other party, whose interests are opposite to yours. Especially for newbies in Taiwan, getting the job is just the beginning. It's the mediation and support that a good agent provides over the course of the contract that counts - otherwise what are they being paid for, really? In these Internet days, "agents" no longer have a stranglehold on data, which used to be their commodity.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
63 Recommends(s)
251 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan