Proper Translation Question

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Proper Translation Question

Postby tastybrain » 25 May 2012, 00:49

Teddoman wrote:
tastybrain wrote:I hold that this is the translation of "Let us" not "Let's." In modern English we use "Let's" to make a suggestion (cohortative modal) whereas we use "Let us" to ask for permission (suprahortative modal).

What would be an English example of "let us" used as a request for permission (rather than a suggestion)? My aging mental faculties are failing me. Several examples would be helpful.

For example: "Come on, Dad! Let us have a sleep-over! We promise we will be good."

"If you will let us show you how it's done, then you will see that what we say is true."

"We would like to make excellent love under the shade of the willows in Central Park, but current government regulations won't let us."

Does that help? :)
“Do you happen to know what the penalty is for shooting a fricasseeing rabbit without a fricasseeing rabbit license?”
Forumosan avatar
tastybrain
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Teddoman » 25 May 2012, 01:47

I guess your way of teeing up the question somehow primed me to only see the suggestive meaning of let, so I was just dumbfounded and couldn't imagine a situation using the more literal meaning of "let"...haha

tastybrain wrote:For example: "Come on, Dad! Let us have a sleep-over! We promise we will be good."

Here's something close: "My friends like our dog. Dad, will you let us invite them over?"

我的朋友喜歡我們的狗狗. 爸爸會讓我們請他們過來玩嗎?

No idea if this is Chinglish or proper Mandarin, but this seems ok to me, if a bit forced.

Generally, I think the meaning (suggestion vs permission) is determined by context and tone of voice.
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Teddoman » 25 May 2012, 01:52

Or generally,
讓我們...嗎 = permission
讓我們...吧 = suggestion

However, I agree with the person who said usually the 讓 is omitted because 吧 is already suggestive.
Teddoman

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby drvelocity » 25 May 2012, 02:06

The way I usually hear people express the "let's ..." idea is to say "我們來...吧". "我們來看電影吧", "我們來一起吃個飯吧","我們來運動一下吧"。
Forumosan avatar
drvelocity

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby E04teacherlin » 25 May 2012, 10:59

The register is important. Let's eat would be expressed differently from, Let's allow our customers to registers online.
E04teacherlin
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

85 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

Postby msleft » 25 May 2012, 19:04

IMO, "我們去看電影吧!" is more colloquial.
C'est la vie?!
Forumosan avatar
msleft
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

22 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby fh2000 » 27 May 2012, 08:44

tastybrain wrote:Hello,
"讓我們看電影."

I hold that this is the translation of "Let us" not "Let's." In modern English we use "Let's" to make a suggestion (cohortative modal) whereas we use "Let us" to ask for permission (suprahortative modal). Since my boss has been in Taiwan longer and because the public schools teach it the way he argues, he refuses to even listen to what I have to say. I contend that they are merely mistaking the two.

I would like to hear from fluent and literate speakers of Chinese on this issue. Can "讓" be used to make a suggestion ever in any possible context? If so, how frequently? I've asked native speakers here the same question and they say it can't. Is it true that 讓 is only used to ask for permission? Also, does anyone have a link or source they could share that would prove/settle the issue definitively? Thanks a bunch.

Your understanding of the word, 讓, appears to be better than your boss, though he may lived in Taiwan longer than you. I am a native speaker of Chinese.
I use this word only in the situation when asking for permission, a plea, or as some posters mentioned, in a formal statement, like a presidential address to the nation:

So, some examples of the usage of 讓 that I would use and their English translation:

"讓我們 jie hun ba"
"Let us get married, John!" ----- I can imagine an urgent situation that a marriage would resolve.
"讓我們 yi qi..... "
"Let us join hands and fight the drunk driving!"

But if I hear:
"Let's get married, John", ---- This would sound to be more cheerful and pleasant suggestion, or a simple flirt. So, I would not use "讓" here.

But YMMV.

This post was recommended by Charlie Jack (29 May 2012, 20:45)
Rating: 5.88%
fh2000
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

10 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan