Finding work in Yilan/Hualian/Taidong

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Finding work in Yilan/Hualian/Taidong

Postby shaylene » 26 May 2012, 17:28

My boyfriend and I have just arrived in Taiwan and are hoping to find work in one of these 3 cities/counties on the West coast. We quickly realized that we didn't want to work in Taipei or any other smog filled city. We have done our fair share of research before coming and it seemed like it would be easier to just come here to find jobs and stay away from the big cram schools like Hess.
The problem we are having is exactly where to start. We are planning on spending the next couple days here in Yilan just walking around finding the schools and trying to apply before heading down to Hualian and Taidong.
I am mainly writing this post to get any advice on getting jobs here, the name of the schools, the best mode of transportation to finding these schools? should we do it by foot? rent a motor bike? have a taxi drive us around (though they don't seem to speak any English)?
We have a promising lead on a job in Kaohsiung, but like I said above, we don't really want to be in the smog filled cities but want the opportunity to teach English and fall in love with Taiwan.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated and Thank you in advance :)
shaylene
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Finding work in Yilan/Hualian/Taidong

Postby Rennes » 02 Jun 2012, 01:22

I wish I could help you.

Those places are on the East Coast. I love Hualian, but have no knowledge of how to find a job there. The west coast cities have larger populations, and consequently, more schools and options.

Let me know if you find out anything.

I'd recommend getting a scooter and having your resume ready, driving around and going in person. Finding the physical locations might be hard.
Rennes
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby loudshirts04 » 16 Jun 2012, 15:48

If you haven't found anything yet, my best advise is to first go to a 7-11 and copy off 50 or so resume's. Then drive around or get a map that indicates schools. Walk around all four sides of the school, if possible. Cram schools and An-chin Ban classes are usually located within walking distance of a school, and often across the street. Walk from door to door. Stop at the ones with children's shoes in front of them and ask if they need an English teacher. Some places will have a teacher that speaks English and can talk with you. Some don't. Your best bet is to walk around as many schools as you can find. Plan on several part time gigs rather than one full-time gig.
loudshirts04

Postby wojiaojack » 25 Oct 2012, 02:06

Hi, I'm looking to do the exact same thing - I'm wondering how it has worked out for you? I'm not in Taiwan yet but have a few job offers in Taoyuan.. I'm reluctant to accept and commit to a year long contract in a place I'm pretty sure I don't want to be. Anyway, I hope it has worked out for you on the east coast, and if you have any advice or an update I'm very interested in hearing! Thanks!
wojiaojack

Postby KaiXi333 » 18 Nov 2012, 19:48

When I worked at Hess they almost never had any openings on the east coast. It's probably a lot like that for other buxibans there, too. There just aren't many people and schools there.
Forumosan avatar
KaiXi333
May you enjoy a lifetime of prosperity (de zhěng gè shēng mìng fù yǒu)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby creztor » 18 Nov 2012, 23:31

Yup, good luck finding work there. Most that do find a job obviously hold on to it for as long as possible.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan