Difficulty finding a job from overseas...

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Difficulty finding a job from overseas...

Postby Ihoop » 29 May 2012, 04:41

Hi all,

I will be arriving in Taiwan in late August/September. I have been looking for a job teaching English....Finding one is proving to be quite difficult! I am a 24 year old American with a bachelors degree and previous teaching experience. I don't have a TEFL. I am open to teaching pretty much anywhere on the island.

I was going to apply to Hess, but they only have job training in July.

I wanted to apply to Shane, but they require some sort of TEFL certificate

I have applied to 25 + schools I found on various websites....Tealit, etc. Only a couple even bothered to write back to me, and they are not showing too much interest at all.

Is it hard to find work in Taiwan right now? I know the best option would be to be on the ground in Taiwan, but the idea of this bothers me. I would not want to fly to a foreign country without having any job security. Also, I know that I will need some sort of training to become an effective English teacher, and I get the feeling that smaller buxibans do not offer this. Does anyone have any other suggestions of where I should look for jobs/ how I should go about finding a job from overseas? Does it makes sense for me to call some of these places instead of emailing them? I would appreciate any input!

Thanks

-Ian
Ihoop
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Difficulty finding a job from overseas...

Postby CraigTPE » 29 May 2012, 05:14

Most employers would prefer to hire someone right in front of their face, not x-thousand miles away.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 29 May 2012, 06:29

Why would anyone want to hire an employee they have never seen before?

Ihoop, honestly I would be worried about working about any employer that you have never met. Wonder why they are not hiring someone already in Taiwan?
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

9 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 29 May 2012, 06:33

Ihoop wrote:Hi all,

I will be arriving in Taiwan in late August/September. I have been looking for a job teaching English....Finding one is proving to be quite difficult! I am a 24 year old American with a bachelors degree and previous teaching experience. I don't have a TEFL. I am open to teaching pretty much anywhere on the island.

I was going to apply to Hess, but they only have job training in July.

I wanted to apply to Shane, but they require some sort of TEFL certificate

I have applied to 25 + schools I found on various websites....Tealit, etc. Only a couple even bothered to write back to me, and they are not showing too much interest at all.

Is it hard to find work in Taiwan right now? I know the best option would be to be on the ground in Taiwan, but the idea of this bothers me. I would not want to fly to a foreign country without having any job security. Also, I know that I will need some sort of training to become an effective English teacher, and I get the feeling that smaller buxibans do not offer this. Does anyone have any other suggestions of where I should look for jobs/ how I should go about finding a job from overseas? Does it makes sense for me to call some of these places instead of emailing them? I would appreciate any input!

Thanks

-Ian

Just because you sign a contract before you come to Taiwan doesn't mean you have job security. HESS can fire a teacher during their two month probationary period.
steelersman

9 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 29 May 2012, 10:19

But they have to pay severance and notice.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 29 May 2012, 10:22

Read this. bit.ly/JR72Mj The law in Taiwan is very similar.
Feiren

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan